Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

What political issues do you have no interest in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What political issues do you have no interest in?

I'll start. I have no interest in the death penalty debate at all.

I also am not particularly interested in debating over abortion. To me, it is self evidently wrong, not everybody sees it that way, and I think one person has ever changed their mind on the issue in the history of this site. Either you get it or you don't. I am interested in discussing how to go about reducing abortion, though.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I'm generally interested in the issues, but I often don't care how they turn out. I like to understand the positions various people have and how they came to them. I tend to empathize with the different sides, even if I don't agree with them.

For example, take gay marriage. I don't care about marriage in the first place, so I never cared how gay marriage would turn out. I fully expected gay marriage to be fully accepted legally eventually, but it wouldn't make a difference to me if it didn't. Still, I was fascinated by the debate on the issue, even if I avoided taking part in it.

I have no interest in debating whether abortion should be acceptable or not, but I am very interested in the different opinions that people have. Keep Roe Vs Wade or overturn it, I don't care.

Illegal immigration? Pfft. Let 'em come, close off the borders, or let the situation go on as it is. Makes no difference to me. But I do want to hear the debates.
    Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

This thread is too boring!

Comment

Environmental issues.
        That's what
        - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
        - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
        - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I am interested in reading Bastiat at some point.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
            This thread is too boring!
            I disagree, this is not a boring thread. I admit to not being interested, but that is only because I am boring.
            Micah 6:8 He has told you, O man, what is good; and what does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

Comment

The top of my list is science. The bad attitude toward science creates a domino effect with negative down side to Global Climate, Scientific contributions to the resolution of the abortion issue, Wise technology use, World food supply, and Science education at least.
              Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
              Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
              But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                ...Scientific contributions to the resolution of the abortion issue...
                What do you mean?
                That's what
                - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

I am mly intrrested in bueracravy.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    On the subject of the OP, how interested are you in the wall, TheWall?
                    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Life, the universe and everything.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                        That sounds like an activity that is preceded by the remark, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

The whole gay wedding cake debate. I mean it's not that I have no interest at all in it, but I just don't care much one way or the other.
                          Find my speling strange? I'm trying this out: Simplified Speling. Feel free to join me.

"Nature has placed mankind under the governance of two sovereign masters, pain and pleasure. It is for them alone to point out what we ought to do, as well as to determine what we shall do."-Jeremy Bentham

"We question all our beliefs, except for the ones that we really believe in, and those we never think to question."-Orson Scott Card

Comment

The actuall wall to me is something that could be usefull but i see far better solutions. Namely i believe more immigration courts and enforcement of current laws.
                            sigpic

Comment

Here's one that will get me into trouble: Before Obergerfell, I felt that way about gay marriage. I knew the church had lost the cultural battle, so I was more concerned about letting the church be the church than trying to delay the inevitable for a few more years. The church didn't disintegrate when laws against adultery and cohabitation gradually got repealed or struck down over the years.

Preston Sprinkle said more or less the same thing in his prominent book last year defending the Christian view opposing homosexuality. Even though he disagreed with the ruling, he was relieved when the Court decided it so the church could move on.
                              "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment