Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

"I have the absolute right to pardon myself" - Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    Giuliani said the other day that the president has that right and people threw a fit.
    I think they were both testing the waters -- throw an idea out there to see what kind of reaction it gets.....
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      I think they were both testing the waters -- throw an idea out there to see what kind of reaction it gets.....
      Is that an idea that really needed to be tested? Of course the public would have a strong negative reaction to the idea of a criminally culpable president effectively exonerating himself.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Is that an idea that really needed to be tested? Of course the public would have a strong negative reaction to the idea of a criminally culpable president effectively exonerating himself.
        I think Rudy is really good at weighing his options.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          A reporter was baiting Giuliani whether the president would/could pardon himself. Someone wanted this to become part of the public discussion about Trump.

Comment

Comment

And yet nobody on the left batted an eye in 2016 when it was being floated about in the MSM that if elected Hillary could simply pardon herself if she were to be indited.

For instance Dan Abrams, a legal analyst for ABC News (where he spent a great deal of time prior to the election hand waving off all the evidence showing how corrupt Hillary was), did a piece on his website, Law and Crime (which discusses legal issues in the news) laying the groundwork for just such an occurrence called "If Hillary Is Indicted, President Clinton Could Pardon Herself and Congress Might be Helpless."

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

This goes hand in hand with his belief in being above the law and devoted admiration of despotic absolute rule for life dictators.
                Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                  Today Trump tweeted:

As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!

Obviously we can note that it is not true at all that numerous legal scholars have said the president can pardon himself. Legal experts seem to range from "you've got to be kidding me" to "it's never been tested in court, but I doubt it would work".

But we seem to be getting to the stage where Trump's ready to try something extreme like this. Do you guys support self-pardoning?
                  nemo iudex in sua causa, "no-one should be a judge in his own case."
                  “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                  “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                  “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
                    A reporter was baiting Giuliani whether the president would/could pardon himself. Someone wanted this to become part of the public discussion about Trump.
                    Yeah, in the time since posting #14, I heard that. I think it was FChuck Todd.
                    Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                      Today Trump tweeted:

As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong? In the meantime, the never ending Witch Hunt, led by 13 very Angry and Conflicted Democrats (& others) continues into the mid-terms!

Obviously we can note that it is not true at all that numerous legal scholars have said the president can pardon himself. Legal experts seem to range from "you've got to be kidding me" to "it's never been tested in court, but I doubt it would work".

But we seem to be getting to the stage where Trump's ready to try something extreme like this. Do you guys support self-pardoning?
                      FTR, Turley seemed to generally agree that "many" legal scholars hold the view, and placed himself among them.
                      Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        nemo iudex in sua causa, "no-one should be a judge in his own case."
                        I think that's the logic Judge Andrew My Cousin Vinny Napolitano used in saying POTUS canNOT self-pardon. That's an interesting view for someone who usually seems to be a "textualist" regarding the Constitution; that is assumed philosophical background to the Constitution, rather than anything explicitly stated in the document itself.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment