Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Bill Maher says: "Bring on the recession"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    It's because there are people even more stupid who watch it.
    That's not a very nice thing to say to Littlejoe. Besides, you're a avid Trump supporter MM, stupid is as stupid does.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
      It depends upon what you think is more important, a temporary recession from which we will recover, or the loss of our democracy to an authoritative dictator. Which would you prefer?
      I do NOT subscribe to the "Chicken Little" extremes that either side seems to wallow in when the other side is in power...We heard the same shtick when GWB and Obama were in office. "They're dictators wanting to take over America..." Please spare me the rhetoric, it's ridiculous.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        I do NOT subscribe to the "Chicken Little" extremes that either side seems to wallow in when the other side is in power...We heard the same shtick when GWB and Obama were in office. "They're dictators wanting to take over America..." Please spare me the rhetoric, it's ridiculous.
        Schtick is one thing, fact is another. If you can't see the difference with respect to Obama and Trump, that's a problem you need to deal with. Or not!

Comment

Schtick is one thing, fact is another. If you can't see the difference with respect to Obama and Trump, that's a problem you need to deal with. Or not!
          Oh puhleese!!! Your no different than the Facebook meme's decrying Obama is the anti-Christ. You just substituted Trump's picture. I actively campaigned against Trump in the primary and held my nose and voted for him...I didn't have to as he was going to carry Texas...and we do NOT have a democracy, we have a republic, so losing our democracy isn't a problem, we don't have one to lose anyway!...
          "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

That's not a very nice thing to say to Littlejoe.
            How could he have been addressing Littlejoe? He doesn't watch Maher.

Try reading for comprehension, Jim. You'll look smarter.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
              That's not a very nice thing to say to Littlejoe. Besides, you're a avid Trump supporter MM, stupid is as stupid does.
              I love when Jimmy calls people stupid when he can't even get basic grammar and spelling correct.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Mahar is a just a TV Troll.

Comment

I think I watched him exactly once and thought, how can anyone this stupid have a show?
                  Maher is a darling of the atheist community having been awarded the Richard Dawkins Award from Atheist Alliance International in 2009 despite holding some bizarre anti-science views.

For instance, Maher has gone on record as a germ theory denialist, expressly saying "I don't believe in vaccinaiton either" and claiming on his show Real Time with Bill Maher on March 4, 2005 that Pasteur recanted germ theory on his deathbed
                  I don't believe in vaccinaiton either. That's a... well, that's a... what? That's another theory that I think is flawed, that we go by the Louis Pasteur theory, even though Louis Pasteur renounced it on his own deathbed and said that Beauchamp(s) was right: it's not the invading germs, it's the terrain. It's not the mosquitoes, it's the swamp that they are breeding in.

Pasteur's recanting germ theory has as much basis in fact as does Darwin's supposed death bed denouncement of evolution.

On Larry King Live from December 15, 2005 we were treated to this bit of woo
                  MAHER: I'm not into western medicine. That to me is a complete scare tactic. It just shows you, you can...

KING: You mean you don't get a -- you don't get a flu shot?

MAHER: A flu shot is the worst thing you can do.

KING: Why?

MAHER: Because it's got -- it's got mercury.

KING: It prevents flu.

MAHER: It doesn't prevent. First of all, that's...

KING: I haven't had the flu in 25 years since I've been taking a flu shot.

MAHER: Well, I hate to tell you, Larry, but if you have a flu shot for more than five years in a row, there's ten times the likelihood that you'll get Alzheimer's disease. I would stop getting your...

KING: What did you say?

MAHER: That went better in rehearsal but it was still good. Absolutely, no the defense against disease is to have a strong immune system. A flu shot just compromises your immune system.

So where did Maher get his information for the very specific claim that getting flu shots more than five years in a row will increase your likelihood of getting Alzheimer's disease by ten-fold? I turns out that this information came from whale.to -- a source that Rationalwiki accurately described as "contains every (and we do mean every) half-baked pseudoscientific theory ever concocted."

The fact is the claim that Maher was promulgating is pure unadulterated poppycock. Typical anti-vax propaganda.

Worse, this idiocy was blathered by Maher only a month after CNN’s Dr. Sanjay Gupta smacked down his nonsense when he was a guest on Real Time with Bill Maher when he started his mantra about how vaccines are a waste of time and that you can defeat a virus by eating right.

In the King interview Maher also credited the elimination of diseases not because of vaccines but rather because of improved sanitations
                  KING: Polio was eliminated.

MAHER: Yes but, you know, there are many books out that will -- that will -- and I'm not well enough versed on it to talk about it that will indicate that there are other reasons why it was.

And a lot of diseases that have been they say, whoa, this was eliminated because of a vaccine, they find out well no actually the country got toilets and that's what happened.

Quackwatch terminally rebuts this nonsensical claim

In 2009 when Bill Maher was set to receive the Richard Dawkins award from the Atheist Alliance for his contributions to an increased scientific knowledge the blowback was tremendous causing him to issue "clarifications" on his previous statements. But one week after getting the award he returned to his anti-vaccine balderdash in a conversation with former Senate Majority Leader and heart surgeon Bill Frist. You can see the whole thing for yourself at Bill Maher gets schooled on vaccines by Bill Frist.

For my money the best part is the look at Maher's face after he said to Frist, “You say that as though I’m a crazy person,” and Frist replied, “Well, here you are.”

For a more detailed take down on the encounter I suggest starting with this[1], and anything by the science blogger "Orac" at ScienceBlogs™ who wrote after the last incident:
                  He’s an anti-vaccine, quackery-supporting font of flaming moronicity every bit as bad as Ken Ham, Michael Behe, or any flak from the Discovery Institute. His views on medicine are every bit as much ideology driven as any view on evolution from a creationist. Indeed, the vitalism from which Maher’s germ theory denialism derives is every bit as much a mystical, religious viewpoint as that of the worst hard core young earth creationist. And he’s the 2009 recipient of the Richard Dawkins Award.

And this is merely one area where Maher has been a disseminator of scientific nonsense, but as long as he sneers at religion the militant atheist community embraces him

1. Another more generalized takedown is Michael Shermer's open letter to Maher. From the letter:
                  Vaccination is one of science's greatest discoveries. It is with considerable irony, then, that as a full-throated opponent of the nonsense that calls itself Intelligent Design, your anti-vaccination stance makes you something of an anti-evolutionist. Since you have been so vocal in your defense of the theory of evolution, I implore you to be consistent in your support of the theory across all domains and to please reconsider your position on vaccinations. It was not unreasonable to be a vaccination skeptic in the 1880s, which the co-discovered of natural selection--Alfred Russel Wallace--was, but we've learned a lot over the past century. Evolution explains why vaccinations work. Please stop denying evolution in this special case.

As well, Bill, your comments about not wanting to "trust the government" to inject us with a potentially deadly virus, along with many comments you have made about "big pharma" being in cahoots with the AMA and the CDC to keep us sick in the name of corporate profits is, in every way that matters, indistinguishable from 9/11 conspiracy mongering. Your brilliant line about how we know that the Bush administration did not orchestrate 9/11 ("because it worked"), applies here: the idea that dozens or hundreds pharmaceutical executives, AMA directors, CDC doctors, and corporate CEOs could pull off a conspiracy to keep us all sick in the name of money and power makes about as much sense as believing that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and their bureaucratic apparatchiks planted explosive devices in the World Trade Center and flew remote controlled planes into the buildings.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Oh puhleese!!! Your no different than the Facebook meme's decrying Obama is the anti-Christ. You just substituted Trump's picture. I actively campaigned against Trump in the primary and held my nose and voted for him...I didn't have to as he was going to carry Texas...and we do NOT have a democracy, we have a republic, so losing our democracy isn't a problem, we don't have one to lose anyway!...
                    Yeah, actually I am different Littlejoe, as Obama was not the anti-christ, actually there is no such thing as the anti-christ, but Trump is a treasonous, anti-democratic, authoritarian, Putin loving, wannabe dictator out to undermine democratic institutions and to tear apart the western alliance. I'm glad to hear that you campaigned against the traitor, to bad you'll one day have to tell your grandkids that you voted for him.

Comment

Yeah, actually I am different Littlejoe, as Obama was not the anti-christ, actually there is no such thing as the anti-christ, but Trump is a treasonous, anti-democratic, authoritarian, Putin loving, wannabe dictator out to undermine democratic institutions and to tear apart the western alliance. I'm glad to hear that you campaigned against the traitor, to bad you'll one day have to tell your grandkids that you voted for him.
                      People like you never get that America's constitutional separation of powers makes it nearly impossible for any one man to become a dictator. Obama would have in a heart beat if he could have. And, once again, we do NOT have a democracy. So, our founding fathers were ALSO anti-democratic. But they did a pretty good job with setting up this country.
                      Again, chicken little, the sky is not falling. It'll be ok....really!

Comment

People like you never get that America's constitutional separation of powers makes it nearly impossible for any one man to become a dictator. Obama would have in a heart beat if he could have. And, once again, we do NOT have a democracy. So, our founding fathers were ALSO anti-democratic. But they did a pretty good job with setting up this country.
                        Again, chicken little, the sky is not falling. It'll be ok....really!
                        It's not impossible Littlejoe, so long as he has a supporting propaganda infrastructure and an easily conned, naive people, who cheer him on as he's doing it.

Comment

In defense of Maher, at least instead of pretending that he's happy that America is doing well he's quite open about his desire to see the economy tank and not caring how much suffering would result because for him his TDS er... "trumps" everything.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            In defense of Maher, at least instead of pretending that he's happy that America is doing well he's quite open about his desire to see the economy tank and not caring how much suffering would result because for him his TDS er... "trumps" everything.
                            If Mahar were a twebber, he would be First Floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                              If Mahar were a twebber, he would be First Floor.
                              For that to be the case FF needs to really up his arrogant elitism game

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                                For that to be the case FF needs to really up his arrogant elitism game
                                I think that is part of FF's charm.

Comment