Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Robert Jastrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Jastrow

This is primarily for you Materialists.

I recently came across a short (a few minutes long) intro-video featuring Robert Jastrow (died 2008).

https://thejohn1010project.com/god-a...stronomer.html

Note during this short video how many times Jastrow alludes to "I cannot believe" ... "I cannot accept".

As I have been saying from day one here at TWeb, science is merely window dressing - the crux of the matter is religious and this is true for everyone. You can call yourself Agnostic, Atheist, Humanist, New Ager or whatever else suits your fancy. The fact of the matter is that you have BELIEFS - religious beliefs, empirically unprovable - and those beliefs govern essentially every area of your life ... they are your religion. You may never admit that or accept it but there you have it - read 'em and weep.

So very sad that Jastrow recognized that he was "in a hopeless bind" and, far worse than that, he "chooses to stay there"! Well, since his death in 2008 he has known that he was dead wrong. Eternity is a long time.

Jorge

Originally posted by Jorge View Post
    Well, since his death in 2008 he has known that he was dead wrong.
    Evidence?
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

I recently came across a short (a few minutes long) intro-video featuring Robert Jastrow (died 2008).

https://thejohn1010project.com/god-a...stronomer.html

Note during this short video how many times Jastrow alludes to "I cannot believe" ... "I cannot accept".

As I have been saying from day one here at TWeb, science is merely window dressing - the crux of the matter is religious and this is true for everyone. You can call yourself Agnostic, Atheist, Humanist, New Ager or whatever else suits your fancy. The fact of the matter is that you have BELIEFS - religious beliefs, empirically unprovable - and those beliefs govern essentially every area of your life ... they are your religion. You may never admit that or accept it but there you have it - read 'em and weep.

So very sad that Jastrow recognized that he was "in a hopeless bind" and, far worse than that, he "chooses to stay there"! Well, since his death in 2008 he has known that he was dead wrong. Eternity is a long time.

Jorge
      Of course we all have beliefs, it's just that there is no evidence of the supernatural. That's a completely made up category.

Comment

Is that so. Well, it's certainly true that I don't religiously believe that I have no religious beliefs, so perhaps there are religious beliefs that I haven't realized that I have, despite currently being unaware of having any.

I'm not sure how you can conclude with certainty that I have a religious belief, though, unless your conclusion is itself a religious belief. But if you do know of religious beliefs that I have (despite not knowing much of anything about me) and could help me discover them, it would be quite helpful.
        Middle-of-the-road swing voter. Feel free to sway my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          Of course we all have beliefs, it's just that there is no evidence of the supernatural. That's a completely made up category.
          Religious-style beliefs? Beliefs that are empirically unprovable? I doubt that.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
            Evidence?
            It's called God's Word aka The Bible and it's been around for centuries.

Read God's Word and the rest is just simple logical inference. There's the evidence.

What, were you perhaps expecting for God to pop up in front of you and kick you in the groin to get your attention? That's not how it works. That would be coercive inducement which would essentially eliminate free will. You got lots to learn, kiddo.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
              "No evidence of the supernatural"? Really?

Try getting away from your recliner and watching Dancing with the Stars and you will find TONS of evidence of the supernatural. Just do a little work and open your eyes. Oh, and be 100% HONEST -- without 100% honesty you'll never see a thing even if it's right in your face.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by Yttrium View Post
                Is that so. Well, it's certainly true that I don't religiously believe that I have no religious beliefs, so perhaps there are religious beliefs that I haven't realized that I have, despite currently being unaware of having any.

I'm not sure how you can conclude with certainty that I have a religious belief, though, unless your conclusion is itself a religious belief. But if you do know of religious beliefs that I have (despite not knowing much of anything about me) and could help me discover them, it would be quite helpful.

From other post: "Religious-style beliefs? Beliefs that are empirically unprovable? I doubt that."
                It's really not hard to provide what you ask. However, while it isn't hard, it is lengthy. Kind of like counting to one billion one incremental number at a time --- it's 'very easy' but it's 'very lengthy'. What makes it lengthy is that so many things are involved.

That said, begin by asking yourself what a religious belief is or what is a religion. The sophomoric view is that a religion requires a belief in one or more "god". That is simply not true. Many recognized religions have no "god".

As soon as you realize and accept that ALL religions (ALL religious beliefs) are founded upon answers to a few fundamental questions [e.g., How did I get here? What caused the universe and all therein? Is there an afterlife? Is there an absolute moral code and, if there is, what is its source?], you will see that everyone - bar none - has a religion (religious beliefs). The only question is, what religion is it?

By the way, note that the questions that I listed are god-independent. God (or not) appears in the possible answers - not in the questions themselves. Those answers -- what a person freely chooses to believe ... what a person comes to believe - establishes the religion of that person. When enough people have 'like-minded beliefs' they formalize it and give it a name (e.g., Catholicism, Secular Humanism, etc.). This allows for variations. For example, there are many 'varieties' of Christianity, Atheism, Humanism, Buddhism, etc.

Jorge

Comment

As soon as you realize and accept that ALL religions (ALL religious beliefs) are founded upon answers to a few fundamental questions [e.g., How did I get here? What caused the universe and all therein? Is there an afterlife? Is there an absolute moral code and, if there is, what is its source?], you will see that everyone - bar none - has a religion (religious beliefs). The only question is, what religion is it?
                  Hmm.... Nope. Still not seeing anything. I firmly believe that I exist. I can prove that to myself straightforwardly. I'd hardly consider that to be religious in nature. Anything after that is open to investigation, as far as I'm concerned.

I suppose you believe that if someone doesn't believe in YEC, then they must have latched firmly on to something else. That's really not how it works.

Comment

Try getting away from your recliner and watching Dancing with the Stars and you will find TONS of evidence of the supernatural. Just do a little work and open your eyes. Oh, and be 100% HONEST -- without 100% honesty you'll never see a thing even if it's right in your face.

Jorge
                    Tons of evidence? You mean like the Chicago Stock Yards. By the way they tore that down.
                    Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                    Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                    But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Evidence?
                      It's called God's Word aka The Bible and it's been around for centuries.

Read God's Word and the rest is just simple logical inference. There's the evidence.
                      So, no evidence then.

Can this non-scientific preaching be moved somewhere where non-scientific preaching is appropriate?
                      Last edited by Roy; 06-18-2018, 05:11 AM.
                      Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Try getting away from your recliner and watching Dancing with the Stars and you will find TONS of evidence of the supernatural.
                        That wouldn't have been the first place I looked.

I s'pose the welcher didn't actually mean what he wrote there though - which leaves us watching another gossamer elephant being catapulted into the sky.

Comment