Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Miss America to no longer feature a swimsuit competition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss America to no longer feature a swimsuit competition

Source: Miss America Organization Drops Swimsuit Competition

The Miss America Organization has announced an end to the swimsuit portion of its competition and the practice of judging contestants specifically on their outward appearance.

Gretchen Carlson, who was crowned Miss America in 1989, made the announcement of the new direction on Tuesday’s broadcast of Good Morning America, CNBC reported.

Branding the pageant “Miss America 2.0,” Carlson said, “We’re not going to judge you on your appearance because we are interested in what makes you you.”

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018...t-competition/

© Copyright Original Source

No judging on appearance, huh? Is that why every contestant who struts across the stage is a Perfect 10? Who do they think they're fooling. Maybe if they started featuring average, dumpy, middle-aged women then I might be convinced that a beauty pageant isn't all about appearance.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Swimsuit competitions promote lust. Good riddance.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Swimsuit competitions promote lust. Good riddance.
      The decision is morally defensible on a certain level, but it's the "we're not going to judge you by your appearance" BS that I'm laughing at. Of course they're going to judged on their appearance. That's the whole point! Taking out the only ratings-grabbing portion of the show isn't going to change that.

Comment

So when are we going to hear about the first Transgender Ms America?

Comment

Miss America isn't exactly a beauty contest though. Not in the way Miss USA or Miss Universe is. Miss America is more based on Talent, Scolarship, Citizenship, Poise, Composure, Stage Presence....I think Overall beauty is on there but Miss America is more of a wholesome family friendly pageant.
          A happy family is but an earlier heaven.
          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Catholicity View Post
            Miss America isn't exactly a beauty contest though. Not in the way Miss USA or Miss Universe is. Miss America is more based on Talent, Scolarship, Citizenship, Poise, Composure, Stage Presence....I think Overall beauty is on there but Miss America is more of a wholesome family friendly pageant.
            Like I said, that claim would be a lot more convincing if every contestant wasn't drop-dead gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              Like I said, that claim would be a lot more convincing if every contestant wasn't drop-dead gorgeous.
              Specially the gals from Texas!
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I didn't say beauty wasn't part of it, But it's not exclusively about beauty as opposed to other pageants
                George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I didn't say beauty wasn't part of it, But it's not exclusively about beauty as opposed to other pageants
                  I don't buy that for a second. If it wasn't all about looks then you would have a more, shall we say, "diversified" field of contestants.

Comment

I don't buy that for a second. If it wasn't all about looks then you would have a more, shall we say, "diversified" field of contestants.
                    You are really dense. Talent is 35 percent of the score FOR the pageant....
                    George Bernard Shaw

Comment

You are really dense. Talent is 35 percent of the score FOR the pageant....
                      You really don't get it, do you? They are judging the "talent" of incredibly beautiful women. No matter what happens during the contest, no matter who wins, nothing less than a Perfect 10 will be leaving with the crown. An average looking woman doesn't have a chance of even being on the stage no matter how talented she might otherwise be, so for Miss America to drop the swimsuit competition under the pretense that it's not all about appearance is self-evidently ridiculous.

Comment

The decision is morally defensible on a certain level, but it's the "we're not going to judge you by your appearance" BS that I'm laughing at. Of course they're going to judged on their appearance. That's the whole point! Taking out the only ratings-grabbing portion of the show isn't going to change that.
                        00000000000000ars4d.jpg

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

So here is an article on how Miss America is actually scored, what judges look for, and how they do preliminaries vs finals. Miss America gets interesting because unlike the other two pageants, Miss USA and Miss Universe Miss America is a non profit that provides scholarship Money for a school of the ladies choice, they end up with serious speaking engagements (these women actually have to be smart) And they don't compete for modeling agencies. It's not a pageant that is exclusively appearance based. That's my only point. Appearance plays a role in the scoring there is just more in the pageant than appearance. Anyway here's the article https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...108f122d7.html
                          George Bernard Shaw

Comment

"It's not a pageant that is exclusively appearance based."

And yet every woman on stage is stunningly gorgeous. OK, so they want someone who is more than just a pretty face, I get that, but a pretty face is a requirement nonetheless. An average or unattractive gal will never be in the running even if she could clear every other hurdle in the competition.

Comment

"It's not a pageant that is exclusively appearance based."

And yet every woman on stage is stunningly gorgeous. OK, so they want someone who is more than just a pretty face, I get that, but a pretty face is a requirement nonetheless. An average or unattractive gal will never be in the running even if she could clear every other hurdle in the competition.
                              The utter lack of a single plus-sized contestant or "average" looking ones is evidence of that. They could be a Rhodes scholar and a virtuoso musician but they'd never make the first cut.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment