Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Separating immigrant families and imprisoning children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    You mean churches? Nah... they just poison young minds with ancient myths!
    Actually, mr-can't-read-my-mind-cause-it's-so-murky, I was referring to the social safety net - Children's Protective Services and such.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
      Actually, mr-can't-read-my-mind-cause-it's-so-murky, I was referring to the social safety net - Children's Protective Services and such.
      Oops...

But it was fun...

ETA: and what exactly did you think I meant by "social services," Mr. I'm-so-crabby-because-my-red-neck-is-making-my-chaps-chafe
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

ETA: and what exactly did you think I meant by "social services," Mr. I'm-so-crabby-because-my-red-neck-is-making-my-chaps-chafe
        I think this is a good example of how "hard wired" you are to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Let's look at the conversation.

I said said...
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        But those kids have homes here, or extended family, or somewhere to go.
        To which you responded...
        Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        Generally, yes. There are exceptions, of course, which is where social services comes in.
        And I was AGREEING - kinda like, well, yeah, that's what I meant to say...
        Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        And I almost added "or other support system".
        That YOU turned into...
        Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        You mean churches? Nah... they just poison young minds with ancient myths!
        Put your sword and armor down, you pinko commie liberal anti-Christian goofus*!

*note to Heckle and Jeckle - this is "name calling" in fun, and Carpe knows it (and has engaged in it) so it doesn't count in your anti-CP crybabyfest.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I think this is a good example of how "hard wired" you are to argue just for the sake of arguing.

Let's look at the conversation.

I said said...

To which you responded...

And I was AGREEING - kinda like, well, yeah, that's what I meant to say...

That YOU turned into...

Put your sword and armor down, you pinko commie liberal anti-Christian goofus*!

*note to Heckle and Jeckle - this is "name calling" in fun, and Carpe knows it (and has engaged in it) so it doesn't count in your anti-CP crybabyfest.
          And it's completely beyond the pale that someone would have misunderstood your intent given the context,

especially given the fact that you are an unrepentant defender of ancient myths...
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

And it's completely beyond the pale that someone would have misunderstood your intent given the context,

especially given the fact that you are an unrepentant defender of ancient myths...
            You're sniffing squirrel poop again, aren't you.

Comment

You're sniffing squirrel poop again, aren't you.
              Not a lot of squirrels around here. I have to make do with chipmunks and moles. It is really hard to get your nose close to the backside of a chipmunk, but molasses are plentiful!

Comment

...is we have no actual immigration policy.

That needs to be fixed.

HateTrump won't fix that.
                The "underlying problem" of not having a comprehensive immigration policy is not the topic of this thread. This is a deflection worthy of Trump himself, and typical of his pattern of deflection, distraction and denial. You deny supporting Trump over separating and imprisoning little children but you refuse to blame him, preferring instead to blame the system...or the Democrats as Trump initially tried to do.

But, it was NOT the system at fault that led to this tragic debacle. It was the deliberate policy of Trump's administration as announced by Sessions in May: "The U.S. would take a stricter stance on illegal crossings at the Mexican border and that this would result in parents and children being separated". And now we have hundreds of little children who may never be reunited with their parents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  The "underlying problem" of not having a comprehensive immigration policy is not the topic of this thread. This is a deflection worthy of Trump himself, and typical of his pattern of deflection, distraction and denial. You deny supporting Trump over separating and imprisoning little children but you refuse to blame him, preferring instead to blame the system...or the Democrats as Trump initially tried to do.

But, it was NOT the system at fault that led to this tragic debacle. It was the deliberate policy of Trump's administration as announced by Sessions in May: "The U.S. would take a stricter stance on illegal crossings at the Mexican border and that this would result in parents and children being separated". And now we have hundreds of little children who may never be reunited with their parents.
                  Which - if you read the thread, CP did acknowledge was a horrendous policy that should never have been put in place.

It took a bit, but he eventually got there.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                    The "underlying problem" of not having a comprehensive immigration policy is not the topic of this thread.
                    Leave it to a leftist to want to ignore the actual underlying problem, and declare it "a pattern of deflection"....

This is a deflection worthy of Trump himself,
                    I guess, as you become more like him in your gross exaggerations and mistruths, you consider yourself an authority, eh?

[quote]and typical of his pattern of deflection, distraction and denial. You deny supporting Trump over separating and imprisoning little children but you refuse to blame him, preferring instead to blame the system...[/'quote]

I've already addressed that, Trump Junior.

or the Democrats as Trump initially tried to do.
                    BOTH sides are complicit in this - NEITHER side really wants to solve the problem.

And the only reason you care is because you can dig down deeper in your "I HATE TRUMP so I'm becoming more like him" journey.

Tassman --- you are morphing into TRUMP, but with opposite political views!

Comment

Which - if you read the thread, CP did acknowledge was a horrendous policy that should never have been put in place.
                      Never said it wasn't.

It took a bit, but he eventually got there.
                      It would have happened a lot sooner had there not been so much wild-eyed crazed misinformation and drama from the usual suspects.

Comment

• Lookie what I found. Here's some "whataboutism" for you liberals.

===========
                        For Immediate Release
                        Wednesday, June 15, 1994
                        202/224-9629

SENATOR FEINSTEIN INTRODUCES BROAD LEGISLATION TO RESTRICT ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

United States Senator Dianne Feinstein today introduced broad
                        legislation to stop illegal immigration.
                        The Illegal Immigration
                        Control and Enforcement Act of 1994, which was introduced by the Senator
                        during a Judiciary Committee hearing, contains border enforcement
                        measures and several measures to reduce the incentives, such as federal
                        assistance, for illegal immigrants to come to the United States.

Nearly a year ago, Senator Feinstein introduced legislation to
                        increase the number of Border Patrol Agents, improve the asylum process
                        and increase penalties for those who illegally smuggle immigrants into
                        this country. The new legislation introduced today contains these
                        provisions but also: creates a counterfeit-proof work identity card;
                        prohibits direct cash assistance to immigrants who are not permanent
                        residents, refugees or asylees; requires sponsors of legal immigrants to
                        provide financial support for them until they become United States
                        citizens so they do not rely on public assistance; and establishes an
                        "interior repatriation" program to return illegal immigrants caught at
                        the border to the interior of their country.

"Last year, I described my fears that if the federal government
                        did not act aggressively to stop illegal immigration there could be a
                        backlash against all immigrants. In that period of time, Congress has
                        refused to move forward on legislation aimed at stopping illegal
                        immigration. With the growing drumbeat of concerns in states such as
                        California, Congress can no longer refuse to act. The legislation I am
                        introducing today enables the federal government to enforce the laws
                        already on the books," Senator Feinstein said today.

"When illegal immigrants try to cross the border, they know that
                        if they make it, they can easily buy counterfeit credentials that enable
                        them to work illegally. And
                        -more-

-2-

they know too that they will be eligible for certain federal benefits.
                        My bill would end these abuses," the Senator added. "This legislation
                        specifically protects legal immigration so the federal government can
                        focus on the problem of illegal immigration."

The Illegal Immigration Control and Enforcement Act of 1994 would:

_Increase the strength of the Border Patrol by 2,100 agents over three
                        years. It would also boost the number of aircraft, vehicles and
                        detection devices used to secure our borders.

_Speed the legal crossing at all land borders by fully staffing existing
                        border gates and authorizing the construction of new facilities needed to
                        handle the crossing volume.

_Create a counterfeit-proof identity card aimed at eliminating the use of
                        false documents. False documents allow illegal immigrants to gain
                        employment unlawfully and to obtain federally-funded public assistance
                        benefits. In addition, the legislation increases penalties for those who
                        make and sell false documents.

_Set up a two-year pilot "interior repatriation" program in San Diego to
                        remove those who illegally cross the border to the "interior" of their
                        home country.
                        The United States Attorney in the San Diego area
                        specifically asked the Senator to give them this authority to prevent
                        repeated attempts to cross the border illegally in a short period of time.

_Prohibit direct cash assistance -- such as Aid to Families With
                        Dependent Children or Supplemental Security Income -- to immigrants who
                        are not legal permanent residents, refugees or asylees.

_Require citizens who sponsor legal immigrants to provide complete
                        financial support for them until they become U.S. citizens.
                        Such a
                        measure would prevent potential immigrants with sponsors from becoming
                        reliant on public assistance.

_Establish that an applicant for asylum is not automatically entitled to
                        work authorization. Additionally, it would take steps to expedite the
                        asylum process and reduce the backlog of asylum claims.

-more-
                        -3-

_Increase penalties for the smuggling of illegal immigrants from five to
                        10 years, and imposes an additional penalty if the smuggler endangers the
                        life of the immigrant. A smuggler who causes an alien's death would be
                        subject to the death penalty.

_Provide for the prompt deportation of any non green card holder who has
                        been convicted of an aggravated felony and is deportable.

_Reduce cases of abuse against illegal immigrants by providing improved
                        training for both active Border Patrol agents and new hires and requiring
                        the Attorney General to report to Congress each year on this effort.

This legislation also contains a funding mechanism to support
                        these border improvements. It would impose a modest $1 border crossing
                        fee to pay for these improvements. Based on 1992 Customs figures, a $1
                        crossing fee could raise between $300 and $400 million a year so this
                        border enforcement program is self funding.

"When I visited a 14 mile stretch of the border in San Diego
                        County a year ago, I saw a mere handful of agents watching over this
                        expanse, only a single night-vision scope was in place to catch those
                        trying to enter the country illegally, and the border fence was
                        incomplete. But when I returned to the same spot earlier this month,
                        after having helped secure a $45 million appropriation to better police
                        the Southwest border, things had clearly improved. Lights were in place,
                        the fence was nearly complete and 40 new U.S. agents were on duty.

"Most important, Border Patrol agents on the line in San Diego
                        report that they are now catching 60 percent of those trying to enter the
                        nation illegally, up from 50 percent last year. At the same time, the
                        overall number of people apprehended has actually decreased. From what I
                        saw, border enforcement can work. But, this must just be the beginning
                        if the federal government is serious about stopping illegal immigration,"
                        the Senator added.

https://www.calvoter.org/archive/94g...feinpres2.html

[bolding mine]

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                          Lookie what I found. Here's some "whataboutism" for you liberals.

===========
                          For Immediate Release
                          Wednesday, June 15, 1994
                          202/224-9629

SENATOR FEINSTEIN INTRODUCES BROAD LEGISLATION TO RESTRICT ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION

United States Senator Dianne Feinstein today introduced broad
                          legislation to stop illegal immigration.
                          The Illegal Immigration
                          Control and Enforcement Act of 1994, which was introduced by the Senator
                          during a Judiciary Committee hearing, contains border enforcement
                          measures and several measures to reduce the incentives, such as federal
                          assistance, for illegal immigrants to come to the United States.

Nearly a year ago, Senator Feinstein introduced legislation to
                          increase the number of Border Patrol Agents, improve the asylum process
                          and increase penalties for those who illegally smuggle immigrants into
                          this country. The new legislation introduced today contains these
                          provisions but also: creates a counterfeit-proof work identity card;
                          prohibits direct cash assistance to immigrants who are not permanent
                          residents, refugees or asylees; requires sponsors of legal immigrants to
                          provide financial support for them until they become United States
                          citizens so they do not rely on public assistance; and establishes an
                          "interior repatriation" program to return illegal immigrants caught at
                          the border to the interior of their country.

"Last year, I described my fears that if the federal government
                          did not act aggressively to stop illegal immigration there could be a
                          backlash against all immigrants. In that period of time, Congress has
                          refused to move forward on legislation aimed at stopping illegal
                          immigration. With the growing drumbeat of concerns in states such as
                          California, Congress can no longer refuse to act. The legislation I am
                          introducing today enables the federal government to enforce the laws
                          already on the books," Senator Feinstein said today.

"When illegal immigrants try to cross the border, they know that
                          if they make it, they can easily buy counterfeit credentials that enable
                          them to work illegally. And
                          -more-

-2-

they know too that they will be eligible for certain federal benefits.
                          My bill would end these abuses," the Senator added. "This legislation
                          specifically protects legal immigration so the federal government can
                          focus on the problem of illegal immigration."

The Illegal Immigration Control and Enforcement Act of 1994 would:

_Increase the strength of the Border Patrol by 2,100 agents over three
                          years. It would also boost the number of aircraft, vehicles and
                          detection devices used to secure our borders.

_Speed the legal crossing at all land borders by fully staffing existing
                          border gates and authorizing the construction of new facilities needed to
                          handle the crossing volume.

_Create a counterfeit-proof identity card aimed at eliminating the use of
                          false documents. False documents allow illegal immigrants to gain
                          employment unlawfully and to obtain federally-funded public assistance
                          benefits. In addition, the legislation increases penalties for those who
                          make and sell false documents.

_Set up a two-year pilot "interior repatriation" program in San Diego to
                          remove those who illegally cross the border to the "interior" of their
                          home country.
                          The United States Attorney in the San Diego area
                          specifically asked the Senator to give them this authority to prevent
                          repeated attempts to cross the border illegally in a short period of time.

_Prohibit direct cash assistance -- such as Aid to Families With
                          Dependent Children or Supplemental Security Income -- to immigrants who
                          are not legal permanent residents, refugees or asylees.

_Require citizens who sponsor legal immigrants to provide complete
                          financial support for them until they become U.S. citizens.
                          Such a
                          measure would prevent potential immigrants with sponsors from becoming
                          reliant on public assistance.

_Establish that an applicant for asylum is not automatically entitled to
                          work authorization. Additionally, it would take steps to expedite the
                          asylum process and reduce the backlog of asylum claims.

-more-
                          -3-

_Increase penalties for the smuggling of illegal immigrants from five to
                          10 years, and imposes an additional penalty if the smuggler endangers the
                          life of the immigrant. A smuggler who causes an alien's death would be
                          subject to the death penalty.

_Provide for the prompt deportation of any non green card holder who has
                          been convicted of an aggravated felony and is deportable.

_Reduce cases of abuse against illegal immigrants by providing improved
                          training for both active Border Patrol agents and new hires and requiring
                          the Attorney General to report to Congress each year on this effort.

This legislation also contains a funding mechanism to support
                          these border improvements. It would impose a modest $1 border crossing
                          fee to pay for these improvements. Based on 1992 Customs figures, a $1
                          crossing fee could raise between $300 and $400 million a year so this
                          border enforcement program is self funding.

"When I visited a 14 mile stretch of the border in San Diego
                          County a year ago, I saw a mere handful of agents watching over this
                          expanse, only a single night-vision scope was in place to catch those
                          trying to enter the country illegally, and the border fence was
                          incomplete. But when I returned to the same spot earlier this month,
                          after having helped secure a $45 million appropriation to better police
                          the Southwest border, things had clearly improved. Lights were in place,
                          the fence was nearly complete and 40 new U.S. agents were on duty.

"Most important, Border Patrol agents on the line in San Diego
                          report that they are now catching 60 percent of those trying to enter the
                          nation illegally, up from 50 percent last year. At the same time, the
                          overall number of people apprehended has actually decreased. From what I
                          saw, border enforcement can work. But, this must just be the beginning
                          if the federal government is serious about stopping illegal immigration,"
                          the Senator added.

https://www.calvoter.org/archive/94g...feinpres2.html

[bolding mine]
                          Why is any of this a surprise? I don't know a single person on the left that is "for illegal immigration." I certainly am not. But I DO know a lot of people on the left who want us, as a country, to acknowledge our part in creating the current illegal immigration mess, and not place the entire burden on those who immigrated illegally. Yes - they came in illegally: their fault. And we have had a muddled, mismanaged, unenforced set of immigration laws that made it possible for them to do so and stay as long as they did: our fault. So now let's take a few simple steps.

1) Close the borders in a meaningful way (and a stupid wall is not going to cut it, for all of the reasons already cited in other posts - it's a part of the solution for some places, but not the entire solution)
                          2) Set a stake in the sand: after date X (today), any illegal immigrant entering will be deported without question. And then make it happen.
                          3) Deport anyone with a significant legal transgression
                          4) Put the remaining illegal immigrants already here on a rigorous and demanding path to citizenship. It should be MORE rigorous than what someone entering legally had to do (e.g., many hours of community service, rigorous testing, etc.)

My $.02

Comment

Why is any of this a surprise? I don't know a single person on the left that is "for illegal immigration."
                            You mean personally know? Or are you claiming that you're not aware of any who are in favor of it? Because I know there are plenty of liberals who are in favor of it -- including many Democrat politicians -- even if I may not know them personally.
                            Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                            But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                            Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Why is any of this a surprise? I don't know a single person on the left that is "for illegal immigration." I certainly am not. But I DO know a lot of people on the left who want us, as a country, to acknowledge our part in creating the current illegal immigration mess, and not place the entire burden on those who immigrated illegally. Yes - they came in illegally: their fault. And we have had a muddled, mismanaged, unenforced set of immigration laws that made it possible for them to do so and stay as long as they did: our fault. So now let's take a few simple steps.

1) Close the borders in a meaningful way (and a stupid wall is not going to cut it, for all of the reasons already cited in other posts - it's a part of the solution for some places, but not the entire solution)
                              2) Set a stake in the sand: after date X (today), any illegal immigrant entering will be deported without question. And then make it happen.
                              3) Deport anyone with a significant legal transgression
                              4) Put the remaining illegal immigrants already here on a rigorous and demanding path to citizenship. It should be MORE rigorous than what someone entering legally had to do (e.g., many hours of community service, rigorous testing, etc.)

My $.02
                              More Carpy hand-waving dismissal.

Because Feinstein is currently against beefing up border protection and is making Trump out as a monster for wanting to build a wall and wanting to limit ICE's power. And she and her ilk (I likes that word!) are fighting to keep illegals in the country and sanctuary cities (she has flip-flopped several times on this topic - in 2008 supporting them, then in 2015 not supporting them after a couple of murders by illegals, and now supporting them again) and giving them welfare and against deporting them. AND AGAINST REQUIRING PHOTO ID. Yet in 1994 she was for all of that and more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                You mean personally know? Or are you claiming that you're not aware of any who are in favor of it? Because I know there are plenty of liberals who are in favor of it -- including many Democrat politicians -- even if I may not know them personally.
                                The issue is clouded by the fact that they strip the word "illegal" from "illegal immigration" when they support it.

Comment