Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Separating immigrant families and imprisoning children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican government sends federal police to intercept caravan of U.S.-bound migrants

MEXICO CITY — The government of Mexico dispatched two 727 Boeing planes filled with federal police officers to its southern border with Guatemala on Wednesday to intercept a caravan of Central American migrants who are trying to reach the U.S. border.

The Interior and Foreign Relations ministries said in a joint statement that any migrant in the caravan without proper immigration papers would be arrested and “returned to their country of origin.” Those with proper documents or wishing to apply for asylum would be allowed to enter Mexico.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/1674954002/

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Mexican government sends federal police to intercept caravan of U.S.-bound migrants

MEXICO CITY — The government of Mexico dispatched two 727 Boeing planes filled with federal police officers to its southern border with Guatemala on Wednesday to intercept a caravan of Central American migrants who are trying to reach the U.S. border.

The Interior and Foreign Relations ministries said in a joint statement that any migrant in the caravan without proper immigration papers would be arrested and “returned to their country of origin.” Those with proper documents or wishing to apply for asylum would be allowed to enter Mexico.
      https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ts/1674954002/
      I wonder how much Trump paid for that?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        I wonder how much Trump paid for that?
        he promised to eat at Taco Bell instead of KFC for an entire year.

Comment

• Seriously, this looks like a political move to keep them away from the US border til after the midterms.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Seriously, this looks like a political move to keep them away from the US border til after the midterms.
            https://www.cnn.com/2018/09/13/polit...ing/index.html

Comment

Seriously, this looks like a political move to keep them away from the US border til after the midterms.
              Mexico's own policies regarding illegal immigrants are pretty harsh, IIRC. Since the US knows about the caravan and would prevent it from crossing the border, they'd be stuck in Mexico, which doesn't want its members. It is much easier for Mexico to deal with them by turning them away at the southern border.
              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
              sigpic
              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                Mexico's own policies regarding illegal immigrants are pretty harsh, IIRC. Since the US knows about the caravan and would prevent it from crossing the border, they'd be stuck in Mexico, which doesn't want its members. It is much easier for Mexico to deal with them by turning them away at the southern border.
                I'd like to believe that's the case.

Comment

• Yeah, i figured...

US plans to pay $20 million to help Mexico deport migrants

(From Sparko's link)

Comment

I'd like to believe that's the case.
                    I'm rather certain that Trump doesn't want to just keep them away temporarily.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• By accident I read this post and though I think the language is a bit too much I must say I agree with quite many of the points being made. I must stress that I don't think it goes for all Christians or even all Evangelicals but I think it expresses thoughts and impressions that I had about some "Christians" and "Evangelicals" during the period in which the family separations took place:

Let’s be honest. You sold your souls to the devil to further your personal and corrupt religious ideology. Because your hot button issues count for more than strangers' lives. Abortion. Abortion. Abortion. Planned Parenthood. Sexual education. Evolution. Welfare. SNAP. WIC. Shut it all down, right?

As a result, you have expected nothing from Trump. Zero accountability. Zero goodness. Zero leadership. All you wanted was access to power when it comes to your agenda.

And here we are. Behold! The great and wonderful works of God! His glory expressed through Donald Trump:

Parents and children ripped apart everyday. Surely that will show the world something about God’s agape love, right? We now have a zero tolerance policy in America that says those seeking asylum may flee for their life and for the lives of their children but this administration will bring down the hand of God upon their heads to ensure they suffer separation and internment. And you, my dear Trump-loving Christians, will call it good.
                      https://medium.com/@Shesreallyfat/wh...a-31773389398a
                      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        By accident I read this post and though I think the language is a bit too much I must say I agree with quite many of the points being made. I must stress that I don't think it goes for all Christians or even all Evangelicals but I think it expresses thoughts and impressions that I had about some "Christians" and "Evangelicals" during the period in which the family separations took place:

https://medium.com/@Shesreallyfat/wh...a-31773389398a
                        I have to admit to mixed feeling about this. On the one hand, I understand the desire of the right to see some of the policies they think are important implemented. On the other, I find so many of the positions taken so badly compromised, I understand the ardor of the young lady who wrote the article. When I watched Pat Robertson's "you don't blow up a $100B trade deal for one man," I found myself more than a little nauseated. That the right has latched onto such a vile man as Trump to be their standard bearer speaks volumes about how low this segment has stooped. I understand the ugly choice they had (from their perspective) in 2016. I do NOT understand the non-stop endorsement and the 90% approval rating among Republicans and evangelicals that Trump enjoys. It exceeds the approval even Reagan had - and Reagan was a decent man. I didn't agree with all of his politics, but he was a good man. Trump is not - by any stretch of the imagination.

From my perspective, the right has lost its soul (so to speak). It has compromised far too much in the name of "policies we want." Yes - you have swung the courts. Congratulations. But you have done so at the cost of most of your ideals. The moral high ground is no longer yours to claim. You are too obviously willing to compromise it in the name of policy.
                        The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                          From my perspective, the right has lost its soul (so to speak). It has compromised far too much in the name of "policies we want." Yes - you have swung the courts. Congratulations. But you have done so at the cost of most of your ideals. The moral high ground is no longer yours to claim. You are too obviously willing to compromise it in the name of policy.
                          The left has lost its soul (so to speak) as well. I'm sure it's OK to respond to such a blanket statement as yours with an equally broad-brush blanket statement, yes?

Comment

I agree with you on this and I think it is well worth noting that your thoughts on this or at least thoughts along these lines are actually found among some Christians. I like what Michael Horton wrote in Christianity Today:

Something tremendous is at stake here: whether evangelical Christians place their faith more in Caesar and his kingdom than in Christ and his reign. On that one, we do have everything to lose—this November and every other election cycle. When we seek special political favors for the church, we communicate to the masses that Christ’s kingdom is just another demographic in the US electorate.

Let’s face it. Liberal and conservative, Catholic and Protestant, have courted political power and happily allowed themselves to be used by it. This always happens when the church confuses the kingdom of Christ with the kingdoms of this present age. https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...verything.html
                            Last edited by Charles; 10-20-2018, 03:24 PM.
                            "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

The left has lost its soul (so to speak) as well. I'm sure it's OK to respond to such a blanket statement as yours with an equally broad-brush blanket statement, yes?
                              The left does not claim the moral high ground, CP. When you claim to align with the almighty, but you are willing to compromise those tenets in the interests of policy...future claims to align with the almighty are going to be largely ignored.
                              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

The left does not claim the moral high ground, CP.
                                No, they just condemn everybody who doesn't think like them, Carpe.

When you claim to align with the almighty,
                                I try.

but you are willing to compromise those tenets in the interests of policy...future claims to align with the almighty are going to be largely ignored.
                                Well, it's not you with whom I'm trying to align, so....

Comment