Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Separating immigrant families and imprisoning children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    The left does not claim the moral high ground, CP.
    Yes they do. When they claim that conservatives either hate everyone or at best don't care about anyone but themselves while declaring that they are the ones full of loving benevolence and kindness.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Yes they do. When they claim that conservatives either hate everyone or at best don't care about anyone but themselves while declaring that they are the ones full of loving benevolence and kindness.
      Yeah, well you know, if the shoe fits there rogue, then we're going to put it on you. But we don't say that you hate everyone, just that a good deal of you are racists, skin heads, nazi, white nationalist fascists supporters of a Putin wannabe. But your politics, Republican/conservative politics, are a good hint to what you actually care about, and it certainly isn't others.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
        Yeah, well you know, if the shoe fits there rogue, then we're going to put it on you. But we don't say that you hate everyone, just that a good deal of you are racists, skin heads, nazi, white nationalist fascists supporters of a Putin wannabe. But your politics, Republican/conservative politics, are a good hint to what you actually care about, and it certainly isn't others.
        Poor jimmy, hiding from the racism and sexism coming from his own liberal friends and projecting onto his opponents.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

• Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          Poor jimmy, hiding from the racism and sexism coming from his own liberal friends and projecting onto his opponents.
          Yup. Exposed a lot of their vile racism in the Kayne West thread and all he and his buddies can do is spit and sputter unable to refute a single point.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

• Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            No, they just condemn everybody who doesn't think like them, Carpe.
            Interesting. That appears to be what many on the right are doing as well. No? That appears to be the "spirit of the times."

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I try.

Well, it's not you with whom I'm trying to align, so....
            CP, it's very hard to take claims of "morality" seriously when someone is willing to bend the very tenets of their own faith to achieve a policy they want. Those who are willing to laud a chronic liar without calling out the lies; those who are willing to cheer when the president of our country applauds a politician for physically attacking a journalist; those who are willing ignore the praise heaped on strong-man dictators around the world; those who are willing to call out "calls for violence" when they come from the left, but excuse and ignore them when they come from the right or their own president; these people have lost any claim to moral superiority. They are clearly willing to compromise their moral framework for power, policies and, in some cases, money and the economy.

Robertson's statement about the killed journalist is an excellent case in point. I'm fairly sure the tenet is "though shalt not kill," not "though shalt not kill unless there's at least $100B on the line." When an injustice is permitted to stand on the basis of money - and that is done by our political leadership - we are all complicit.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I agree - anyone making such statements is indeed claiming moral superiority. But I see these claims coming from both the left and the right...so...?
              The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I agree - anyone making such statements is indeed claiming moral superiority. But I see these claims coming from both the left and the right...so...?
                So at the very least it proves your declaration that
                Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                The left does not claim the moral high ground, CP.
                is utter hog slop.

Comment

Those who are willing to laud a chronic liar without calling out the lies;,,,
                  This is such a steaming load of horsie poo - the man lies - everybody knows it. That I'm not focusing all my energy pointing out his lies....

Would it make you feel better if I started a thread pitching a bunch of hissy fits about Trump's moral shortcomings?

Find a new song to sin, Carpe. That one is really getting old.
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

It's called politics.
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

So at the very least it proves your declaration that is utter hog slop.
                      "From the left" and "from the right" does not equate to "the left" or "the right"

ETA: I went back through this thread...and a few others. I usually try pretty hard not to lump people and make blanket statements like, "the right says" and "the left says" because I find such blanket statements to be unfair and (often) untrue. "The left" does not speak with a cohesive voice, and neither does "the right." Using such language is just another way of painting a group of people as "them" so they can be vilified and/or dismissed. But I have to admit that I have slipped into that language more than once in this thread and in other places, which I think has led to this point. So I acknowledge the error - and will work to be more consistent about that language. It's too easy to dismiss an entire group of people simply because they are identified as "X." Trump does this all the time: Immigrants this. Muslims that. Mexicans this. Democrats that. It rallies the unthinking members of his base who buy into the "lumping" and proceed to cheer at some pretty horrendous things.
                      Last edited by carpedm9587; 10-21-2018, 04:02 PM.

Comment

This is such a steaming load of horsie poo - the man lies - everybody knows it. That I'm not focusing all my energy pointing out his lies....

Would it make you feel better if I started a thread pitching a bunch of hissy fits about Trump's moral shortcomings?

Find a new song to sin, Carpe. That one is really getting old.
                        I don't need to find a new song, CP. Much as you are tired of the tune... it is apt... and rather catchy...

(And I don't remember singling you out...I believe I made the comments generic so people could make their own decisions if the shoe fit...)

Comment

It's called politics.
                          And that's a reasonable excuse...?

I'm trying to picture Christians arriving at judgement day (as they believe it to be), and the Almighty saying, "why on earth did you compromise the precepts I laid out for you?" I'm fairly sure divine eyes will role when the answer "it's called politics" is provided...

Comment

And that's a reasonable excuse...?
                            Never claimed it was.

I'm trying to picture Christians arriving at judgement day (as they believe it to be), and the Almighty saying, "why on earth did you compromise the precepts I laid out for you?" I'm fairly sure divine eyes will role when the answer "it's called politics" is provided...
                            I'm always amused when non-Christians pretend to know what God is going to ask on judgment day.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I'm rather certain that Trump doesn't want to just keep them away temporarily.
                              Looks like Trump's policy of separating families and losing their kids hasn't acted as the deterrent he claimed it would be. All of the 'problem people bringing drugs, child-trafficking and raping everyone (although some are good people') are coming in their thousands to invade the USA.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I'm always amused when non-Christians pretend to know what God is going to ask on judgment day.
                                What's amusing is the notion of "gods" existing and "judgement day".
                                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment