Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Separating immigrant families and imprisoning children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
    This is an opinion piece, and the Washington Post is categorized as "left-of-center" but with a high level of accuracy in their reporting and a World Press Freedom Rank of 45/180. I frankly have no idea what that latter ranking means, given that I thought the World Press Freedom Index was about countries. If someone knows, I'd love to learn.
    Try linking to sites without paywalls if you want to make a point.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Oops... forgot I have an account to the Washington Post...
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Oops... forgot I have an account to the Washington Post...
        used to be you could open the link in a private browser window and read the articles. but I think they have caught on to that cuz when I tried it with your link it did not work.

Comment

...the Washington Post is categorized as "left-of-center" but with a high level of accuracy...
          Of course Media Bias Fact Check does not have a high level of accuracy when it comes to determining the veracity and political leanings of the publications they report on. A liberally biased site assuring us that other liberally biased sites aren't liberally biased? Sounds legit.

Media Bias Fact Check: Incompetent or Dishonest?
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

I was able to read it and had no problem with a paywall. I was given the option between signing up or reading it for free and chose the latter. An interesting article by the way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
              I was able to read it and had no problem with a paywall. I was given the option between signing up or reading it for free and chose the latter. An interesting article by the way.
              Might be because you are not in the USA, or because you have not reached your monthly maximum of free articles.

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
                You people in non-bordering states Like Carp and non-bordering countries such as England, New Zealand and Australia, live in a fantasy world with no idea of the impact these illegals cause on our states.
                This is what we call the ad hominem. Not a good argument but actually a fallacy and furthermore you do not seem to take the perspective of immagrants into consideration. It strikes me as likely that your reality, my reality, is their dream world. I am not denying receiving immigrants is not easy in every aspect of it. Neither do I claim that acting morally, human and in a decent way is always easy or for your own material best.

You wrote: "If putting them in jail and therefore separating them from their kids from them when they get caught helps, then so be it. It's really easy to sit in the cheap seats and boo, it's a lot harder when you have to live with it daily."

It's very much of a simplification isn't it? Who says everyone who "boos"sit in the cheap seat. And if they do, you are still not further than genetic fallacy. Basically you need to show how their arguments fail. That is going to be rather diffucult without taking into account the situation of the immigrants. And if you do so, I suspect you might change your view.

Comment

Might be because you are not in the USA, or because you have not reached your monthly maximum of free articles.
                  I suspect you read too many free articles in The Washington Post then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Of course Media Bias Fact Check does not have a high level of accuracy when it comes to determining the veracity and political leanings of the publications they report on. A liberally biased site assuring us that other liberally biased sites aren't liberally biased? Sounds legit.

Media Bias Fact Check: Incompetent or Dishonest?
                    When I look at newspapers and "fact check" sites, I look for consistency across common media. So if a fact-check site is consistent with most other fact-check sites most of the time, my confidence is high. If a newspaper reports consistently along with other news outlets, my confidence is high, especially if that consistency crosses the political divide. Articles like these that call into question particular fact-check sites I find have to be approached carefully.

Ironically, MBFC rates JFD as "right center" and "high accuracy." Apparently they saw the JFD article and someone reviewed the review because it has been changed. People are people. Sometimes they make mistakes. I have no problem with corrected mistakes. I'd be interested in knowing if their article was a reaction to the review of themselves, or a broader review. From the article, it seems they looked at their review and Politifact's review. Not exactly a sweeping evaluation. The two CEOs also exchanged emails and the MBFC CEO apologized for the review and it was rewritten. So this article seems to be a tempest in a teapot.

I'm not even going to waste much time on the Washington Standard. I've read a few of their articles, and I find the evaluation by MBFC spot-on. Little wonder they weren't happy and wrote a scathing review: they were given one of the most biased ratings possible in MBFC.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
                        It is rather interesting that some of you seem to think that if Obama did the same thing or if he did something even worse then there is simply no discussion to be had about the moral issues.
                        ''''''''''Crisis''''''''''''' manufactured by lib media, fake outrage. Outrage fake cos Obama did same thing, libs don't care.

Otherwise no issue, kids separated from criminal parents everyday.
                        Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

• The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

Comment

• If separating children from parents is bad, then we are saying why wasn't this brought up many years ago? Why were the liberals complacent when Obama did it? It seems pretty odd that this has been going on for decades and it has just now been noticed and everyone is mad at Trump and he is just following the law. If the law is bad, why did it get passed in the first place? Why wasn't it changed under Obama?

And why is it immoral to keep kids out of jail when their parents are arrested for breaking the law? Do you think it is better for the children to be sent to jail with the parents?

Comment

• Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                              ''''''''''Crisis''''''''''''' manufactured by lib media, fake outrage. Outrage fake cos Obama did same thing, libs don't care.

Otherwise no issue, kids separated from criminal parents everyday.
                              No real issue, only thing is how outrage of you libs is fake, just 'Trump sucks!!!!!!!!!! '

So we talk about that!
                              Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

If separating children from parents is bad, then we are saying why wasn't this brought up many years ago? Why were the liberals complacent when Obama did it? It seems pretty odd that this has been going on for decades and it has just now been noticed and everyone is mad at Trump and he is just following the law. If the law is bad, why did it get passed in the first place? Why wasn't it changed under Obama?
                                This allows me to repeat a question that is already in the post you replied to: "Do you think moral discussion ends if you can point to others who did something wrong or perhaps did something even worse?"

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                And why is it immoral to keep kids out of jail when their parents are arrested for breaking the law? Do you think it is better for the children to be sent to jail with the parents?
                                I think it is obviously better for children to stay with their parents. I don't feel too certain that the parents have to go to jail. There are so many more options. Making this the case between separating children from their parents or putting children in jail with their parents is so much of a simplification. It is actually the logical fallacy of incomplete enumeration.

Comment