Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Separating immigrant families and imprisoning children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    My great grandfather emigrated here from Germany by himself when he was 13. Jews celebrate becoming adults at 13. IIRC, most of the children being held are teenagers.
    your great grandfather didn't walk across a desert most likely...and probably wasn't in much danger of sexual predators, or becoming a sex slave like some of these children are being reported as doing.
    "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignorant Roy View Post
      The ignorance and dishonesty is yours, since you haven't reread the cited articles, and are mischaracterising my comment.
      If there's a specific point you wish to cite from one of the articles then feel free to do so.
      Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
      But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
      Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by Littlejoe View Post
        your great grandfather didn't walk across a desert most likely...and probably wasn't in much danger of sexual predators, or becoming a sex slave like some of these children are being reported as doing.
        No, he came by boat - so he was no less dependent on those around him for his daily needs. Males don't tend to be in much danger of sexual predation, though there are exceptions. What I'm saying is that some cultures have differing ideas about when someone is old enough to fend for themselves.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
          Such as being subjected to the dangers of a desert crossing on foot without adequate shelter, food, and water?
          And after that being separeted from their parents. Feel free to try to ignore it. I think this way of deliberately turning your blind eye to children suffering tremendeous harm is what causes more and more people, including me, to conclude that you guys are not really Christians.
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            My great grandfather emigrated here from Germany by himself when he was 13. Jews celebrate becoming adults at 13. IIRC, most of the children being held are teenagers.
            I'm curious - where do you get the statistic about teenagers. We know of three "full" "tender age" detainment centers (no idea what their size is), with a fourth one planned (Houston is objecting). That sounds like a lot of toddlers/infants. I have no idea what the age distribution is...so if you have some data, I'd like to look at it.
            The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

• Originally posted by Charles View Post
              And after that being separeted from their parents. Feel free to try to ignore it. I think this way of deliberately turning your blind eye to children suffering tremendeous harm is what causes more and more people, including me, to conclude that you guys are not really Christians.
              As if we care what you think of us, little drama queen?

Please, manufacture some more outrage showing you have no idea what you are talking about.

I posted here http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post553796 about how that little girl on the cover of Time with Trump was never separated from her parent and her mom was not running away from some desparate situation, she left a husband and 3 other children behind in a middle class life style and paid $6,000 for a coyote to bring her to the USA. Endangering that little girl the whole way for no reason. She wasn't escaping some war torn country or extreme poverty. She had $6,000 to pay a coyote. She had a family she left behind and a middle class life. Her husband said he would never put his children through that trip. He stayed behind.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                As if we care what you think of us, little drama queen?

Please, manufacture some more outrage showing you have no idea what you are talking about.

I posted here http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/sh...l=1#post553796 about how that little girl on the cover of Time with Trump was never separated from her parent and her mom was not running away from some desparate situation, she left a husband and 3 other children behind in a middle class life style and paid $6,000 for a coyote to bring her to the USA. Endangering that little girl the whole way for no reason. She wasn't escaping some war torn country or extreme poverty. She had $6,000 to pay a coyote. She had a family she left behind and a middle class life. Her husband said he would never put his children through that trip. He stayed behind.
                I have not used her as an example. Are you claiming no children are separeted from their parents? If not, then how does that story change the fact that so many children were? You guys are certainly doing your best to focus on something else, perhaps because you know supporting this policy in its entire scope contradicts what you claim is your religion.
                "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuckles View Post
                  As if you know anything about real Christianity. I'm still waiting for scripture to support your implication that we shouldn't punish lawbreakers.

Look, none of us are turning a blind eye to it. What we are turning a blind eye to are the liberals acting like being housed in clean facilities and being given food, clothing, healthcare, an education, and cultural enrichment is somehow torture. Their parents broke the law, we can't ignore that, but I believe the United States is trying to make the best of a bad situation.

So what about you? Are you willing to condemn the parents who by their actions put their children in this unfortunate situation?

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                    I'm curious - where do you get the statistic about teenagers. We know of three "full" "tender age" detainment centers (no idea what their size is), with a fourth one planned (Houston is objecting). That sounds like a lot of toddlers/infants. I have no idea what the age distribution is...so if you have some data, I'd like to look at it.
                    I got it from here, but I can't trace it further than that. It apparently comes from a quote of HHS Secretary Alex Azar.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

As if you know anything about real Christianity. I'm still waiting for scripture to support your implication that we shouldn't punish lawbreakers.
                      Great start with a personal attack, MM. Not a good sign if you have good arguments. You are also making thing way to simple, and I hope you know it. I believe that you realise that those in political power who have the ability to change the law and the policies also have a responsibility for the content of the law and the policies. It is rather simple. Second, you have even yourself claimed that Romans should not force anyone to follow the law if it contradicts scripture. If you stop turning your blind eye to reality you will see that the law and the policies applied in this context do so, but I don't believe you actually believe what scripture says on these matters or perhaps you simply misunderstood it. The fact that even evangelicals call it anti-Christian speaks volumes.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Look, none of us are turning a blind eye to it. What we are turning a blind eye to are the liberals acting like being housed in clean facilities and being given food, clothing, healthcare, an education, and cultural enrichment is somehow torture. Their parents broke the law, we can't ignore that, but I believe the United States is trying to make the best of a bad situation.
                      I have repeatedly claimed you turn your blind eye to the suffering of the child, the psychological aspect of separating children from their parents. Everyone can see you continue to do so. Thanks for providing more evidence.

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      So what about you? Are you willing to condemn the parents who by their actions put their children in this unfortunate situation?
                      The actions were not only taken by the parents but by those separating children from their parents. It is not my first instinct to condemn people who have had to leave their home and go through all sorts of danger in the hope of finding a peaceful place to live. There may be cases in which the parents could or should have stayed at home. That gives me no reason to ignore those in real need, it gives me no reason to ignore the suffering of the children and it gives me no need to ignore basic human decency.

Comment

• Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                        I note that almost zero conservative posters here have had the guts to vote in the poll at the start of this thread regarding whether they support the policy.

I guess if the November midterms end up being run primarily on the topic of whether families should be separated or not, we'll find out then where US conservatives truly stand on their "values".
                        Guess again, Kiwi.
                        I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

• mle180621c20180621124505.jpg

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28458[/ATTACH]
                            And moral issues seemingly do not exist in MM universe if Obama once did or said the same. Then all discussion seems to end, or at least he has changed the subject.

Comment

I have not used her as an example. Are you claiming no children are separeted from their parents? If not, then how does that story change the fact that so many children were? You guys are certainly doing your best to focus on something else, perhaps because you know supporting this policy in its entire scope contradicts what you claim is your religion.
                              I didn't say that, did I? I was commenting on your overly dramatic accusations, saying we are not Christian and trying to make it sound like Trump is personally ripping children out of the mother's arms while we all sit back and cackle. From the moment you got to this site all you have done is sit there waiting for opportunities to snipe at Christians. Even if you have to make up crap. You are a sad little man, Charles. I feel sorry for you. It must really be lonely to be you.

Comment

And moral issues seemingly do not exist in MM universe if Obama once did or said the same. Then all discussion seems to end, or at least he has changed the subject.
                                What have you done about this horrible crisis, Charles?

Oh wait, attack Christians. right.

Comment