Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 31 to 35 of 35

Thread: California's new plan

  1. #31
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    40,781
    Amen (Given)
    3805
    Amen (Received)
    18814
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Courts can speed things up when need be - this should have qualified.
    It's only been a month since it got on the ballot. seems pretty fast to me.

  2. #32
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    12,696
    Amen (Given)
    6034
    Amen (Received)
    4616
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    It's only been a month since it got on the ballot. seems pretty fast to me.
    I'd agree on most things but the court found that there was more harm in letting it go forward - knowing that, the court should have moved faster, especially since this question had already come up before and proponents had a limited window of campaign time. It's not okay to kill initiatives by getting the courts to help you waste the proponent's money.

    It won't be, of course, but in my opinion, the court should itself be liable for damages like that.

  3. #33
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    40,781
    Amen (Given)
    3805
    Amen (Received)
    18814
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    I'd agree on most things but the court found that there was more harm in letting it go forward - knowing that, the court should have moved faster, especially since this question had already come up before and proponents had a limited window of campaign time. It's not okay to kill initiatives by getting the courts to help you waste the proponent's money.

    It won't be, of course, but in my opinion, the court should itself be liable for damages like that.
    I think things get on the ballot merely by getting enough signatures. Then the supreme court would get involved and determine if it was constitutional or not. They don't have time to get involved with every possible initiative that might not even get on the ballot.

  4. #34
    tWebber Teallaura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    In my house.
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    12,696
    Amen (Given)
    6034
    Amen (Received)
    4616
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I think things get on the ballot merely by getting enough signatures. Then the supreme court would get involved and determine if it was constitutional or not. They don't have time to get involved with every possible initiative that might not even get on the ballot.
    That's not what actually happened, Sparky. This was in court before it hit the ballot.

  5. #35
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    40,781
    Amen (Given)
    3805
    Amen (Received)
    18814
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    That's not what actually happened, Sparky. This was in court before it hit the ballot.
    Source?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •