Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: California's new plan

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I guess Calexit has been decided to be too stupid to consider, so in a completely obvious attempt to try to gain more control of congress, California wants to split into three states.

======================

Controversial Plan to Split California Into 3 States Earns Spot on November Ballot

California’s 168-year run as a single entity, hugging the continent’s edge for hundreds of miles and sprawling east across mountains and desert, could come to an end next year — as a controversial plan to split the Golden State into three new jurisdictions qualified Tuesday for the Nov. 6 ballot.

If a majority of voters who cast ballots agree, a long and contentious process would begin for three separate states to take the place of California, with one primarily centered around Los Angeles and the other two divvying up the counties to the north and south. Completion of the radical plan — far from certain, given its many hurdles at judicial, state and federal levels — would make history.

http://ktla.com/2018/06/12/radical-p...vember-ballot/

I don’t think that would help democrats that much. Only Texas put more republicans in the house. If anything, such a split could keep land a few California republicans in the senate and could free up the democrat stranglehold on the electoral college too.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Well originally the point of the senate, as I understand it, was to allow the rich and powerful to maintain control of government and stop the pesky populace having too much democratic influence. (It's modeled, at least somewhat, on the House of Lords in the UK, where the aristocracy could veto the laws that the pesky house of commons was passing)
    Not especially. The House of Lords is hereditary, whereas the Senate was originally composed of senators elected by their own state's legislatures - in other words, they were indirectly elected by the people. It was expressly set up in order to give smaller states a say in the federal government (along with the Electoral College).
    Then its purpose transitioned to ensuring that slavery wasn't banned by ensuring there were always enough senators from slave-states to stop the federal government passing a ban on slavery.

So historically it's been the part of the US government that had a stated purpose of being openly undemocratic / evil.
    Your opinion is duly noted.
    Mostly what the senate seems to do now, in practice, is give the Republican party unduly high levels of representation in congress relative to the amount of votes cast for them.
    This is where your ignorance (and hatred of Republicans in general) gets in the way: as recently as 2011, the Democrats had a nearly filibuster-proof majority.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

3. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I do not like the idea. I would be living in Southern California working out of state in California. Likely having to pay two state taxes.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    Well originally the point of the senate, as I understand it, was to allow the rich and powerful to maintain control of government and stop the pesky populace having too much democratic influence. (It's modeled, at least somewhat, on the House of Lords in the UK, where the aristocracy could veto the laws that the pesky house of commons was passing) Then its purpose transitioned to ensuring that slavery wasn't banned by ensuring there were always enough senators from slave-states to stop the federal government passing a ban on slavery.

So historically it's been the part of the US government that had a stated purpose of being openly undemocratic / evil.

Mostly what the senate seems to do now, in practice, is give the Republican party unduly high levels of representation in congress relative to the amount of votes cast for them.
    The above disqualifies your claims about knowing all about the U.S. from ever being taken seriously again.

Next you'll be telling us that George Washington crossed the Indian Ocean aboard the Mayflower to attack the Romans.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

6. Amen Mountain Man, RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 37818 View Post
    I do not like the idea. I would be living in Southern California working out of state in California. Likely having to pay two state taxes.
    most states have reciprocal agreements so that you only have to pay the tax in the state in which you live, not work. Basically the state where you work takes out the taxes for your resident state.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    The above disqualifies your claims about knowing all about the U.S. from ever being taken seriously again.

Next you'll be telling us that George Washington crossed the Indian Ocean aboard the Mayflower to attack the Romans.
    The more SL posts, the more he sounds like some basement troll who only knows about the USA from what he reads on conspiracy sites.

And Washington never existed. He is a myth invented by the British to make us think that we actually achieved independence.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    most states have reciprocal agreements so that you only have to pay the tax in the state in which you live, not work. Basically the state where you work takes out the taxes for your resident state.
    Yep. I only pay income tax in Maryland, where I live - not in DC, where I work. All I pay in DC is sales tax, when I buy something (almost always food, though I usually bring food to work).
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
    I don’t think that would help democrats that much. Only Texas put more republicans in the house. If anything, such a split could keep land a few California republicans in the senate and could free up the democrat stranglehold on the electoral college too.
    It would give 4 more senators with 2 more states. The electoral college 4 more votes.
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    It would give 4 more senators with 2 more states. The electoral college 4 more votes.
    Yes, but it will essentially unlock a pretty good amount of consertives votes too. As it sits now, the costal population centers drown out more consertive voters further inland. This proposal would break up those population centers into separate states and give Northern and Sourhern consertive votes more insentive to vote.
    "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
    GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    If you're living in California, you're probably already doing that and don't realize it.