Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

"LGBTQ+ inclusive" churches don't seem to be reaching their goal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "LGBTQ+ inclusive" churches don't seem to be reaching their goal

I came across this blog article. This is definitely not a Christian source; it's a gay rights blogger. He hits on something important, though: churches that water down the gospel by denying the sinfulness of homosexuality don't seem to be bringing in scores of new gay church members... or in some cases, any. His reasons why aren't particularly important here, though here's the post: https://bookishbearblog.com/2018/06/...lusive-church/
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

I think down deep they still know it is a sin and are embarrassed to stand before God and pretend otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      I think down deep they still know it is a sin and are embarrassed to stand before God and pretend otherwise.
      That may certainly play into it...I think it also may be that since Religion in general, and Christianity in particular, in this country have pushed back so hard against the "special status" and the legalization of same sex marriage and behavior, that it has created a deep distrust and even hatred for anything "church". It's an extension of victim mentality.
      "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Where I grew up, the church did get lumped in with some of the worse stereotypes of gay bashing because we were so close to Westboro Baptist Church and they would frequently show up in the county. I don't know how the dynamic would have been in other areas. I did sense that some Christians were disgusted by Westboro and swung too far in the other direction.
        "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

"LGBTQ+ inclusive" churches don't seem to be reaching their goal
          Point is going at satellite height whoosh over head of yours. Why progs push progism is to corrupt churches, also Christians, 'we'll be more inclusive, attract more people!!!' is excuse they sell to itching ears.
          Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

We may have to share the gospel without trying to get people to conventional church meetings.

The gospel isn't quite "repent for the forgiveness of sins and then go to our church meetings."

Comment

Originally posted by mikewhitney View Post
              We may have to share the gospel without trying to get people to conventional church meetings.

The gospel isn't quite "repent for the forgiveness of sins and then go to our church meetings."
              This is why I believe in old fashioned soul winning... I grew up in an era where it seemed the thing to do was to get people into Church, and maybe after hearing the Gospel, they'll "get saved".

I grew to understand that our job is to go "out there" and win people to Christ, then "bring them home to the family" at Church.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by demi-conservative View Post
                Point is going at satellite height whoosh over head of yours. Why progs push progism is to corrupt churches, also Christians, 'we'll be more inclusive, attract more people!!!' is excuse they sell to itching ears.
                Not sure where that disagrees with my post

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  This is why I believe in old fashioned soul winning... I grew up in an era where it seemed the thing to do was to get people into Church, and maybe after hearing the Gospel, they'll "get saved".

I grew to understand that our job is to go "out there" and win people to Christ, then "bring them home to the family" at Church.
                  And we can't get distracted with social issues. We can discuss questions about how Jonah could possibly have been swallowed by that fish AFTER we've presented the gospel. The gospel of Jesus Christ should be foremost, and He is the one doing the winning of souls, not me.

HE will grow His church. Not me. I am just to present the gospel of Christ.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                    And we can't get distracted with social issues. We can discuss questions about how Jonah could possibly have been swallowed by that fish AFTER we've presented the gospel. The gospel of Jesus Christ should be foremost, and He is the one doing the winning of souls, not me.

HE will grow His church. Not me. I am just to present the gospel of Christ.
                    I was just explaining to our Wednesday Night group about the guy who taught me soul winning many years ago. We'd be in somebody's house sharing the gospel, and that person would ask something like "Did Adam and Even have bellybuttons*". Ray would say, "Can I tell you about Jesus, then we'll discuss any issues you may have..." and they'd bring up some other objection, and Ray would say, "Sure, we can talk about that, but can I tell you about Jesus?...."

As I'm sure you already know, moss, after they have accepted Christ, all that other stuff was no longer important.

*I only actually got that question one time
                    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I was just explaining to our Wednesday Night group about the guy who taught me soul winning many years ago. We'd be in somebody's house sharing the gospel, and that person would ask something like "Did Adam and Even have bellybuttons*". Ray would say, "Can I tell you about Jesus, then we'll discuss any issues you may have..." and they'd bring up some other objection, and Ray would say, "Sure, we can talk about that, but can I tell you about Jesus?...."

As I'm sure you already know, moss, after they have accepted Christ, all that other stuff was no longer important.

*I only actually got that question one time
                      Precisely my point.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Adam and Even

Comment

Adam and Even
                          I saw that but didn't think it was worth correcting.

Comment

Most of those times those questions are probably smokescreens. There are exceptions but I think you can usually tell when somebody is sincere. Probably not when it's about something off the wall like that

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
                              Most of those times those questions are probably smokescreens. There are exceptions but I think you can usually tell when somebody is sincere. Probably not when it's about something off the wall like that
                              And that was my title of that segment of teaching: "smokescreens"

Paul Little tells the story of speaking at a university where a young man came up to him after his apologetics presentation, and told him, "You have successfully answered every objection I have had to Christianity".

Little asked, "then you're ready to give your life to Christ?"

The young man said no, and Little asked, "well, if I answered every objection, why won't you accept Christ as your Savior?"

The answer "because it would mess up the way I'm living".

Comment