Announcement

Collapse

Prayer Requests and Praise Reports Guidelines

Post your prayers, your words of encouragement, edification and help to another in this thread.

This area is strictly non-debate, all faiths or non-faiths are allowed.

Please keep in mind the rules: here
See more
See less

I think my dad might have dementia...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my dad might have dementia...

But good luck ever getting him to agree to go to a doctor for it. Behavioral changes are pretty upsetting. I know he likely isn't intending to be mean, selfish, impatient, but it still hurts. And he's only 64!
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Watch your links! http://www.theologyweb.com/campus/fa...corumetiquette

Comment

what makes you think it is dementia?

Comment

Well, he has been more impatient and argumentative with me and my younger sister. He's been acter mean in general and worse than his earlier ignorance of how to treat teens/young adults. He claims to be a Christian but doesn't show the fruits of the Spirit. He thinks five minutes of his time is more valuable than mine even when he is merely going home ro watch TV. He has poorly controlled diabetes and weight issues, which are risk factors. My younger sister is in school studying athletic training and thinks that he is showing early signs of dementia. He is frustrating to be around and I feel like an unofficial home health care nurse with all the things he demands I do for him and then claims I do not help around the house.

Comment

The diabetes may be the cause of a lot of that behaviour. Is there anyone who can talk him into going to the doctor?

Comment

Eh, part of it may be that my Mom is out of town and he doesn't sleep as well when she isn't here. He still eats junk food when he isn't supposed to, but everyone eats stuff they are not supposed too. He's also been sedentary ever since he retired and does not even have substitute teaching right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Christianbookworm View Post
              Well, he has been more impatient and argumentative with me and my younger sister. He's been acter mean in general and worse than his earlier ignorance of how to treat teens/young adults. He claims to be a Christian but doesn't show the fruits of the Spirit. He thinks five minutes of his time is more valuable than mine even when he is merely going home ro watch TV. He has poorly controlled diabetes and weight issues, which are risk factors. My younger sister is in school studying athletic training and thinks that he is showing early signs of dementia. He is frustrating to be around and I feel like an unofficial home health care nurse with all the things he demands I do for him and then claims I do not help around the house.
              Dementia is more about forgetting things than being mean.

Comment

It is, but the meaness is a symptom.

You need to get him checked somehow. Any relative or friend?

Comment