Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Conservatives fighting back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conservatives fighting back

@IngrahamAngle: "The American people are footing a really big bill for what is tantamount to a slow rolling invasion of the United States."

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/1008898448098316293
    'Think of children!!! ' not working, libs. Try something else for midterms!
    Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

"Not working"? Republican members of Congress are practically lining up to push back against the administration on this issue, as are other Republicans (Laura Bush, Franklin Graham). Try another talking point.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

"not working", yes! Look how true conservatives care zero about obvious children outrage of yours, also not defensive or apologetic. Even lib Yttrium doesn't care.

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      Try another talking point.
      Go back to exegesis level of Playboy.

Comment

The thing is, congress has the power to change it all. They are the ones who make the laws. But they are refusing. Just like DACA.

Comment

Schumer's excuse: "We won't pass a law because Trump could solve everything with executive orders!"
          Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
          But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
          Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Schumer's excuse: "We won't pass a law because Trump could solve everything with executive orders!"
            Wasn't Chuck the guy who was crying the last time Trump used his executive order on immigrants and claiming it was unAmerican and illegal?

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) argued that the Trump administration should drop its executive order targeting immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries after an appeals court refused its request to reinstate the order.

"President Trump ought to see the handwriting on the wall that his executive order is unconstitutional," Schumer said in a statement shortly after Thursday's ruling.

Trump should "abandon this proposal, roll up his sleeves and come up with a real, bipartisan plan to keep us safe," he said.
            http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-actio...all-drop-order
            Last edited by Sparko; 06-20-2018, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Yep... I suspect they're trying to bait Trump into an executive order so they can block it in the courts and accuse him of trying to be a dictator while leaving this "crisis" unsolved.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                The thing is, congress has the power to change it all. They are the ones who make the laws. But they are refusing. Just like DACA.
                I understand that Republicans have crafted a fix which would inhibit illegal immigration, and the Democrats have crafted a proposal which would do nothing to resolve the underlying problem.

And then we have Schumer flat out abdicating his job.
                Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                sigpic
                I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Dems changed media cycle from IG report, also NK, to this about children. ''''''"Crisis'''''''' from nothing.

Yuge NK summit 1 week ago, then they did big time distraction. Good play, but desperate too!
                  Last edited by demi-conservative; 06-20-2018, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Well Trump signed the order, kids will no longer be separated - do you want to bet that the liberals won't be happy!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/trum...-together.html
                    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                      Well Trump signed the order, kids will no longer be separated - do you want to bet that the liberals won't be happy!

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/20/trum...-together.html
                      Now they will complain because kids are going to jail with their parents.

Comment

Yep, they already are on MSMBC.
                        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Democrats won't be happy until the Southern border is erased.

Comment

That was exactly what happened in the first place. Immigration rights advocates filed suit and a judged ruled that the children could not be confined with their parents and other adults. I pointed this out in another thread about a week ago
                            Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                            Actually things are much more muddy

Source: The untold history behind the Trump administration separating children from parents at the U.S. border

The separation of children from their parents at the southern U.S. border has drawn broad public outrage - but less talked about is a little-known lawsuit that has played a major role in making the Trump administration policy reality.

The history is complicated, and it goes back to 1997, when the federal government, under former President Bill Clinton, settled a lawsuit that dictated how unaccompanied minors must be treated while in U.S. custody.

The opposing parties in the case, Flores v. Reno, agreed on terms requiring that unaccompanied children held in federal custody be placed in 'the least restrictive' environment possible.

Later, as more parents started crossing the U.S. border with very young children, the Obama administration responded by establishing large-scale family detention centers in Texas and Pennsylvania.

The move drew criticism from immigrant rights activists, and a federal judge ruled in 2015 that the family centers were in violation of Flores v. Reno – even though the original settlement was intended only to apply to unaccompanied minors.

That legal standard is still in place, and it means that children cannot be held in detention centers for more than 72 hours – even if they are with their parents, said Leon Fresco, former deputy assistant attorney general in charge of the Office of Immigration under President Obama.

'The only two choices for the current administration is to let people in who are seeking asylum - which this (Trump) administration doesn't want to do - or separate parents from children,' Fresco said.

The decision on Flores led the Obama administration to institute a policy of primarily releasing asylum seekers who were caught at the border with their children.

'We (in the Obama administration) never thought we would separate the parents and the children,' Fresco said. 'But I warned at the time that a different administration could do that.'

The New York Times reported in April that roughly 700 children have been separated from their parents so far under the Trump administration. U.S. Customs and Border Patrol officials declined to comment for this story.

But it was that Obama-era policy that encouraged parents to bring their children along for illegal border crossings in the first place, said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington D.C.-based anti-immigration think tank.

'It was Obama's policy of letting anybody go who had a kid with them that created the expectation that it would work,' he said.

Lawyers with the American Civil Liberties Union are in the midst of a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration's policy of separating parents and children

But it was that Obama-era policy that encouraged parents to bring their children along for illegal border crossings in the first place, said Mark Krikorian, executive director of the Center for Immigration Studies, a Washington D.C.-based anti-immigration think tank.

'It was Obama's policy of letting anybody go who had a kid with them that created the expectation that it would work,' he said.

Lawyers with the American Civil Liberties Union are in the midst of a lawsuit challenging the Trump administration's policy of separating parents and children

Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU's Immigrants' Rights Project, argued that there is a 'third choice' that should be legal regardless of the Flores settlement.

'Flores is not supposed to override a parent's choice and have their child sent to a strange facility,' said Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU's Immigrants' Rights Project.

'A mother needs to have the ability to decide whether sending an 18-month-old to a less restrictive facility is the best choice,' he added.

Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU's Immigrants' Rights Project, argued that there is a 'third choice' that should be legal regardless of the Flores settlement.

'Flores is not supposed to override a parent's choice and have their child sent to a strange facility,' said Lee Gelernt, deputy director of the ACLU's Immigrants' Rights Project.

'A mother needs to have the ability to decide whether sending an 18-month-old to a less restrictive facility is the best choice,' he added.

'No prior administration has done this,' he said. 'This is solely a Trump administration choice.'

'We don't believe it will deter asylum seekers,' he added.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Essentially the choices are either separate the children from the parents or let the parents skate. Considering that it is hardly uncommon to separate the parents from their children when the parents break the law this looks like a whole lot of selective outrage.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                            "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                            "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              I understand that Republicans have crafted a fix which would inhibit illegal immigration, and the Democrats have crafted a proposal which would do nothing to resolve the underlying problem.

And then we have Schumer flat out abdicating his job.
                              Pretty much. He's demanding that Trump pass an executive order (which will likely be quashed in the courts considering previous decisions) while he sits on his hands shirking his role as a law maker and instead seeking to exploit these children for political gain.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment