Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)

The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

I really don't want a debate, but rather a discussion. The older I get the more taken aback I am by dreams. I will give you an idea. The other night I'm in a big hall setting up chairs for an event. Me and two black guys that I ran with 35 years ago are setting up chairs, but one of the guys made an argument as to why we should not be involved with the event, I said to him, that was a good point, I never thought of that. So we stopped. The thing is, his argument caught me totally off guard, and my dream self did not even consider it. So somehow my subconscious formulated a rational argument and presented in my dream. An argument that I didn't see coming. But I must have seen it coming because it was my argument. Or was it?????
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I really don't want a debate, but rather a discussion. The older I get the more taken aback I am by dreams. I will give you an idea. The other night I'm in a big hall setting up chairs for an event. Me and two black guys that I ran with 35 years ago are setting up chairs, but one of the guys made an argument as to why we should not be involved with the event, I said to him, that was a good point, I never thought of that. So we stopped. The thing is, his argument caught me totally off guard, and my dream self did not even consider it. So somehow my subconscious formulated a rational argument and presented in my dream. An argument that I didn't see coming. But I must have seen it coming because it was my argument. Or was it?????
    Maybe dreams are actually glimpses into parallel universes.

3. Amen Rushing Jaws, T-Shirt Ninja amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Maybe dreams are actually glimpses into parallel universes.

Hehe, I do wonder at times...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Hehe, I do wonder at times...
    Tonight, the you in the parallel universe is going to dream about you posting on theologyweb about dreams.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Tonight, the you in the parallel universe is going to dream about you posting on theologyweb about dreams.
    How do you know I'm not doing that now?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    How do you know I'm not doing that now?
    You are.

If the many worlds theory is correct then every possible permutation of everything exists. So that means there is a universe where you are doing exactly anything you can imagine or dream. There is even one where you are the President of the USA and Starlight is your VP.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    There is even one where you are the President of the USA and Starlight is your VP.

Actually I sent Star to a black site, re-education and stuff...

9. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Now for a more serious response.

When I am sleeping lightly, or just before I wake up, it appears to me like different parts of my brain are operating separately without communicating with one another. So my conscious part isn't aware that my thinking part is thinking. And my conscious part, because it isn't communicating with my thinking part, obviously doesn't think it odd when long deceased people suddenly show up, or you're back in places that no longer exist. The thinking part draws persons and places from its memory.

You don't really see or hear your dreams; you only think you see them, and usually can't tell the difference.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I was taught in psychology that dreaming could be analogous to nature’s filing system. The function of dreaming is to store new material into the memory system according to its own subconscious logic in a way that both reduces emotional stress and makes us more adaptive in coping with further trauma or stressful events. But this is only conjecture, it is not really known why we dream.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

12. Amen seer amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Actually I sent Star to a black site, re-education and stuff...
    No, that's universe #1,000,000,012, and Sparko is talking about universe #6,089,000,098.

14. Amen Sparko amen'd this post.