Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

I really don't want a debate, but rather a discussion. The older I get the more taken aback I am by dreams. I will give you an idea. The other night I'm in a big hall setting up chairs for an event. Me and two black guys that I ran with 35 years ago are setting up chairs, but one of the guys made an argument as to why we should not be involved with the event, I said to him, that was a good point, I never thought of that. So we stopped. The thing is, his argument caught me totally off guard, and my dream self did not even consider it. So somehow my subconscious formulated a rational argument and presented in my dream. An argument that I didn't see coming. But I must have seen it coming because it was my argument. Or was it?????
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Originally posted by seer View Post
    I really don't want a debate, but rather a discussion. The older I get the more taken aback I am by dreams. I will give you an idea. The other night I'm in a big hall setting up chairs for an event. Me and two black guys that I ran with 35 years ago are setting up chairs, but one of the guys made an argument as to why we should not be involved with the event, I said to him, that was a good point, I never thought of that. So we stopped. The thing is, his argument caught me totally off guard, and my dream self did not even consider it. So somehow my subconscious formulated a rational argument and presented in my dream. An argument that I didn't see coming. But I must have seen it coming because it was my argument. Or was it?????
    Maybe dreams are actually glimpses into parallel universes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
      Maybe dreams are actually glimpses into parallel universes.

Hehe, I do wonder at times...
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Hehe, I do wonder at times...
        Tonight, the you in the parallel universe is going to dream about you posting on theologyweb about dreams.

Comment

Tonight, the you in the parallel universe is going to dream about you posting on theologyweb about dreams.
          How do you know I'm not doing that now?

Comment

How do you know I'm not doing that now?
            You are.

If the many worlds theory is correct then every possible permutation of everything exists. So that means there is a universe where you are doing exactly anything you can imagine or dream. There is even one where you are the President of the USA and Starlight is your VP.

Comment

There is even one where you are the President of the USA and Starlight is your VP.

Actually I sent Star to a black site, re-education and stuff...

Comment

Now for a more serious response.

When I am sleeping lightly, or just before I wake up, it appears to me like different parts of my brain are operating separately without communicating with one another. So my conscious part isn't aware that my thinking part is thinking. And my conscious part, because it isn't communicating with my thinking part, obviously doesn't think it odd when long deceased people suddenly show up, or you're back in places that no longer exist. The thinking part draws persons and places from its memory.

You don't really see or hear your dreams; you only think you see them, and usually can't tell the difference.
                When I Survey....

Comment

I was taught in psychology that dreaming could be analogous to nature’s filing system. The function of dreaming is to store new material into the memory system according to its own subconscious logic in a way that both reduces emotional stress and makes us more adaptive in coping with further trauma or stressful events. But this is only conjecture, it is not really known why we dream.
                  “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Actually I sent Star to a black site, re-education and stuff...
                    No, that's universe #1,000,000,012, and Sparko is talking about universe #6,089,000,098.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      No, that's universe #1,000,000,012, and Sparko is talking about universe #6,089,000,098.

My mistake...

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        I was taught in psychology that dreaming could be analogous to nature’s filing system. The function of dreaming is to store new material into the memory system according to its own subconscious logic in a way that both reduces emotional stress and makes us more adaptive in coping with further trauma or stressful events. But this is only conjecture, it is not really known why we dream.
                        I don't know, there are some very strange things that happen. Things out of the blue, not in any way related to the past day or so. For instance in one recent dream I'm driving on a back road at night, in a sports car with the top down at night with a close friend, a deer jumps out and over the car with his back legs hitting my friend, but he clears me. Where did that dream come from? Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post
                          Now for a more serious response.

When I am sleeping lightly, or just before I wake up, it appears to me like different parts of my brain are operating separately without communicating with one another. So my conscious part isn't aware that my thinking part is thinking. And my conscious part, because it isn't communicating with my thinking part, obviously doesn't think it odd when long deceased people suddenly show up, or you're back in places that no longer exist. The thinking part draws persons and places from its memory.

You don't really see or hear your dreams; you only think you see them, and usually can't tell the difference.
                          I have lucid dreams where I suddenly realize I am in a dream. At that point I can wander around and do anything I want. It is like being on the Holodeck in Star Trek. I definitely see and hear and even smell in my dreams, full 3D technicolor. I remember being in a hallway and suddenly being conscious I was in a dream. I walked up to the wall, which was painted concrete block, blue, and could see every little dip and bump in the wall. I reached out and felt it. It was totally real. Then I materialized a machine gun and blew it away!.

Comment

I have lucid dreams where I suddenly realize I am in a dream. At that point I can wander around and do anything I want. It is like being on the Holodeck in Star Trek. I definitely see and hear and even smell in my dreams, full 3D technicolor. I remember being in a hallway and suddenly being conscious I was in a dream. I walked up to the wall, which was painted concrete block, blue, and could see every little dip and bump in the wall. I reached out and felt it. It was totally real. Then I materialized a machine gun and blew it away!.
                            I've had realistic dreams like that too. Sometimes doing what you want, even if you realize it is a dream doesn't always work. One particularly bad one had a zombie munching on me, and I couldn't get away even though I knew it was a dream.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                              I've had realistic dreams like that too. Sometimes doing what you want, even if you realize it is a dream doesn't always work. One particularly bad one had a zombie munching on me, and I couldn't get away even though I knew it was a dream.
                              Usually if I try too hard to control the dream, I just wake up all the way. Sometimes I will drift back into not realizing I am dreaming too.

Comment