Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
    I have lucid dreams where I suddenly realize I am in a dream. At that point I can wander around and do anything I want. It is like being on the Holodeck in Star Trek. I definitely see and hear and even smell in my dreams, full 3D technicolor. I remember being in a hallway and suddenly being conscious I was in a dream. I walked up to the wall, which was painted concrete block, blue, and could see every little dip and bump in the wall. I reached out and felt it. It was totally real. Then I materialized a machine gun and blew it away!.
    So if I know I'm in a dream and doing something immoral - is that counted as a sin? Or do we get a pass?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      So if I know I'm in a dream and doing something immoral - is that counted as a sin? Or do we get a pass?
      Matthew 5:28
      But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

Comment

Matthew 5:28
        But I say to you that everyone who looks at a woman with lustful intent has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
        But is my dream self my real self?
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

But is my dream self my real self?
          Yes. Unless you are dreaming you are someone else. I suggest you dream you are Starlight while sinning, that way he gets the ding on his record instead of you.

Comment

Dreams are weird. I've had some of the most random, bizarre dreams (e.g., my church in Idaho being invaded by neon-colored aliens, and me fighting them with Warhammer 40k-style weapons), but I've also had some pretty lame dreams (I dreamt once that the retracting part of a broken seatbelt started working again...and that was it).
            Last edited by Zymologist; 06-21-2018, 11:33 AM.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Yes. Unless you are dreaming you are someone else. I suggest you dream you are Starlight while sinning, that way he gets the ding on his record instead of you.
              Good call! But, wait, then no women would want me! A conundrum...

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                Dreams are weird. I've had some of the most random, bizarre dreams (e.g., my church in Idaho being invaded by neon-colored aliens, and me fighting them with Warhammer 40k-style weapons), but I've also had some pretty lame dreams (I dreamt once that the retracting part of a broken seatbelt started working again...and that was it).
                Yeah, so what is deciding to create these various scenarios, what decides what you will dream and when?

Comment

Yeah, so what is deciding to create these various scenarios, what decides what you will dream and when?
                  Yeah, that's what's weird. The seatbelt dream was based on a real seatbelt, but it never did start working again. The alien invasion dream...
                  I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

What decides what you daydream about? It is basically the same process. Your mind has all these things going on in it. What you ate, what you watched on TV, what you were worried about that day, what made you happy. And when you sleep, all that stuff comes to the surface and you start thinking and imagining stuff and it becomes a dream. You can work things out in dreams, and wake up with a complete solution ready to go. Or it could just be entertainment. different dreams at different times for different reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                      Yeah, that's what's weird. The seatbelt dream was based on a real seatbelt, but it never did start working again. The alien invasion dream...
                      probably one of your video games.

Comment

Ever sleep with the radio on? Weird things happen.

One night I was dreaming that we were organizing a volleyball game in my bedroom. The net was spread across the bed, and two team captains started selecting team members. Then the captains got into a conversation about home schooling. The rest of us got impatient and went to the kitchen for a snack. We came back up to the bedroom, and the team captains were still discussing home schooling. It was almost time to end the game anyway and go home. Then I woke up. James Dobson and Focus on the Family was on the radio, discussing home schooling.

Another night, I dreamed that I was at work, and one of the co-workers in the other cubicle was preaching the gospel. I didn't wake up, but I later suspect that the audio came from one of the Bible preachers on the radio.

My wife will kill me if she ever reads this one: I dreamed that we were going over the budget. I mentioned the utility bill, and she whispered "paaiiiid." The mortgage? She whispered "paaiiiid." Telephone bill? She whispered "paaiiiid." Then I woke up. She was softly snoring, and as she exhaled I heard her whisper "paaiiiid."

If you don't read any future posts from me, it's probably because I'm dead.
                        When I Survey....

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

One night I was dreaming that we were organizing a volleyball game in my bedroom. The net was spread across the bed, and two team captains started selecting team members. Then the captains got into a conversation about home schooling. The rest of us got impatient and went to the kitchen for a snack. We came back up to the bedroom, and the team captains were still discussing home schooling. It was almost time to end the game anyway and go home. Then I woke up. James Dobson and Focus on the Family was on the radio, discussing home schooling.

Another night, I dreamed that I was at work, and one of the co-workers in the other cubicle was preaching the gospel. I didn't wake up, but I later suspect that the audio came from one of the Bible preachers on the radio.

My wife will kill me if she ever reads this one: I dreamed that we were going over the budget. I mentioned the utility bill, and she whispered "paaiiiid." The mortgage? She whispered "paaiiiid." Telephone bill? She whispered "paaiiiid." Then I woke up. She was softly snoring, and as she exhaled I heard her whisper "paaiiiid."

LOL! I sleep with the fan on when it's warm - I swear it is talking to me in my sleep!

Comment

Originally posted by Faber View Post

I used to listen to the radio all the time to try and help me sleep. Often the Adventures in Odyssey series. More recently when I feel I'm just about to fall asleep I hear what sounds like the radio, and actual songs and stations. They aren't ones I recognize though.

Comment

I don't know, there are some very strange things that happen. Things out of the blue, not in any way related to the past day or so. For instance in one recent dream I'm driving on a back road at night, in a sports car with the top down at night with a close friend, a deer jumps out and over the car with his back legs hitting my friend, but he clears me. Where did that dream come from? Why?
                              Well, as I say, it's theorised that dreaming is to store new material into the memory system according to its own subconscious logic. I suspect the underlined is the key.
                              “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                                Well, as I say, it's theorised that dreaming is to store new material into the memory system according to its own subconscious logic. I suspect the underlined is the key.
                                But what is the subconscious? Is it another personality? Another "me" making decisions that this "me" not consciously aware of? I mean who is running the show here?

Comment