Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
    I used to listen to the radio all the time to try and help me sleep. Often the Adventures in Odyssey series. More recently when I feel I'm just about to fall asleep I hear what sounds like the radio, and actual songs and stations. They aren't ones I recognize though.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Anyone ever experience being awake while your body is asleep? When you sleep your brain turns off your body so you don't act out your dreams, basically paralyzing you. I have had incidents where I woke up but my body was still "asleep" and I could not move. It is freaking scary. You are not fully awake but you are conscious. I feel like some shadowy beings are hovering over me and sometimes I hear whispering (kinda like what Brum was saying) - I will try really hard and will wake up all the way and sit up.

I think things like that are what cause people to think they are being attacked by demons or abducted by aliens.

http://www.sleepeducation.org/sleep-...overview-facts

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
        Anyone ever experience being awake while your body is asleep? When you sleep your brain turns off your body so you don't act out your dreams, basically paralyzing you. I have had incidents where I woke up but my body was still "asleep" and I could not move. It is freaking scary. You are not fully awake but you are conscious. I feel like some shadowy beings are hovering over me and sometimes I hear whispering (kinda like what Brum was saying) - I will try really hard and will wake up all the way and sit up.

I think things like that are what cause people to think they are being attacked by demons or abducted by aliens.

That has happened to me a number of times when I was younger, it is interesting that it hasn't happened since I have been a Christian. And it is scary - a dark presence in the room... And I don't dismiss the demonic...
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
          That has happened to me a number of times when I was younger, it is interesting that it hasn't happened since I have been a Christian. And it is scary - a dark presence in the room... And I don't dismiss the demonic...
          reading up on it, it seems to happen mostly to young people and not so often when you get older. The last time it happened to me was probably when I was in my 30s. But I still have lucid dreams. Those are awesome. The next time I have one, I will ask whoever is in it "what is the nature of dreams?" for you and see what they say.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post

Yeah, I've had it happen. Freaked the crap out of me...like, I knew someone hostile was in the room behind me, but could not even turn around and look.
            I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

I still have those occasionally, not fun at all. Sleep paralysis is a horrible thing.

Comment

I just wake up in the morning and can't get my body moving because I hurt. Does that count?

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                  I just wake up in the morning and can't get my body moving because I hurt. Does that count?
                  It counts for me!

Comment

But what is the subconscious? Is it another personality? Another "me" making decisions that this "me" not consciously aware of? I mean who is running the show here?
                    It's the 'inner you'. It's the part of your mind of which you're not aware but which nevertheless influences your actions and feelings...some would argue that it is the primary influence.
                    Last edited by Tassman; 06-22-2018, 08:39 PM.
                    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                      It's the 'inner you'. It's the part of your mind of which you're not aware but which nevertheless influences your actions and feelings...some would argue that it is the primary influence.
                      So the conscious me really has no idea what the inner me is thinking or planning! That is scary...

Comment

So the conscious me really has no idea what the inner me is thinking or planning! That is scary...
                        Most of our brain activity is beyond our conscious awareness; it is generated in a non-conscious manner. The good news is that if we were raised right during our formative years, our subconscious brain activity will probably result in positive choices on the whole.
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Most of our brain activity is beyond our conscious awareness; it is generated in a non-conscious manner. The good news is that if we were raised right during our formative years, our subconscious brain activity will probably result in positive choices on the whole.
                          But! If that is the case then this unconscious process has been forming our conscious minds from the beginning. How did "it" know what was good or positive or not?

Comment

But! If that is the case then this unconscious process has been forming our conscious minds from the beginning. How did "it" know what was good or positive or not?
                            God or positive has survival value.

I consider dreams a normal process in most higher mammal, and even at least some reptiles. In sleep the neural network of the brain goes through a sorting and regeneration process, and goes through different stages,

we actually do not remember most dreams. Dreaming occurs in the REM stage with rapid eye movements and is part of a natural process.
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

The natural evolution of human behaviour ensures the survival of the family and community so that the human species survives. And what we are as adults is largely influenced by what we absorbed from our social environment as a child.

As per the quote originating with Aristotle: 'Give me a child until he is 7 and I will show you the man.' It is our formative years that make us who we are at the subconscious level and our decision-making is to a large extent a process handled by our subconscious mental activity.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0414145705.htm

Comment

The natural evolution of human behaviour ensures the survival of the family and community so that the human species survives. And what we are as adults is largely influenced by what we absorbed from our social environment as a child.
                                But like we discussed in the past, the evolutionary process does not care if we survive, it does not aim for our survival, there is no goal for our survival.

Comment