Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 114

Thread: The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

  1. #21
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,200
    Amen (Given)
    1740
    Amen (Received)
    5134
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Yes. Unless you are dreaming you are someone else. I suggest you dream you are Starlight while sinning, that way he gets the ding on his record instead of you.
    Good call! But, wait, then no women would want me! A conundrum...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  2. #22
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,200
    Amen (Given)
    1740
    Amen (Received)
    5134
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Dreams are weird. I've had some of the most random, bizarre dreams (e.g., my church in Idaho being invaded by neon-colored aliens, and me fighting them with Warhammer 40k-style weapons), but I've also had some pretty lame dreams (I dreamt once that the retracting part of a broken seatbelt started working again...and that was it).
    Yeah, so what is deciding to create these various scenarios, what decides what you will dream and when?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  3. #23
    Professor Zymologist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Land of the Large Atmosphere
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,551
    Amen (Given)
    1405
    Amen (Received)
    3984
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Yeah, so what is deciding to create these various scenarios, what decides what you will dream and when?
    Yeah, that's what's weird. The seatbelt dream was based on a real seatbelt, but it never did start working again. The alien invasion dream...
    I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

  4. #24
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,940
    Amen (Given)
    4999
    Amen (Received)
    22170
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    Yeah, so what is deciding to create these various scenarios, what decides what you will dream and when?
    What decides what you daydream about? It is basically the same process. Your mind has all these things going on in it. What you ate, what you watched on TV, what you were worried about that day, what made you happy. And when you sleep, all that stuff comes to the surface and you start thinking and imagining stuff and it becomes a dream. You can work things out in dreams, and wake up with a complete solution ready to go. Or it could just be entertainment. different dreams at different times for different reasons.

  5. #25
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    49,940
    Amen (Given)
    4999
    Amen (Received)
    22170
    Quote Originally Posted by Zymologist View Post
    Yeah, that's what's weird. The seatbelt dream was based on a real seatbelt, but it never did start working again. The alien invasion dream...
    probably one of your video games.

  6. #26
    tWebber Faber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Sagittarius Arm
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,057
    Amen (Given)
    240
    Amen (Received)
    496
    Ever sleep with the radio on? Weird things happen.

    One night I was dreaming that we were organizing a volleyball game in my bedroom. The net was spread across the bed, and two team captains started selecting team members. Then the captains got into a conversation about home schooling. The rest of us got impatient and went to the kitchen for a snack. We came back up to the bedroom, and the team captains were still discussing home schooling. It was almost time to end the game anyway and go home. Then I woke up. James Dobson and Focus on the Family was on the radio, discussing home schooling.

    Another night, I dreamed that I was at work, and one of the co-workers in the other cubicle was preaching the gospel. I didn't wake up, but I later suspect that the audio came from one of the Bible preachers on the radio.

    My wife will kill me if she ever reads this one: I dreamed that we were going over the budget. I mentioned the utility bill, and she whispered "paaiiiid." The mortgage? She whispered "paaiiiid." Telephone bill? She whispered "paaiiiid." Then I woke up. She was softly snoring, and as she exhaled I heard her whisper "paaiiiid."

    If you don't read any future posts from me, it's probably because I'm dead.

  7. #27
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,200
    Amen (Given)
    1740
    Amen (Received)
    5134
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Ever sleep with the radio on? Weird things happen.

    One night I was dreaming that we were organizing a volleyball game in my bedroom. The net was spread across the bed, and two team captains started selecting team members. Then the captains got into a conversation about home schooling. The rest of us got impatient and went to the kitchen for a snack. We came back up to the bedroom, and the team captains were still discussing home schooling. It was almost time to end the game anyway and go home. Then I woke up. James Dobson and Focus on the Family was on the radio, discussing home schooling.

    Another night, I dreamed that I was at work, and one of the co-workers in the other cubicle was preaching the gospel. I didn't wake up, but I later suspect that the audio came from one of the Bible preachers on the radio.

    My wife will kill me if she ever reads this one: I dreamed that we were going over the budget. I mentioned the utility bill, and she whispered "paaiiiid." The mortgage? She whispered "paaiiiid." Telephone bill? She whispered "paaiiiid." Then I woke up. She was softly snoring, and as she exhaled I heard her whisper "paaiiiid."

    If you don't read any future posts from me, it's probably because I'm dead.
    LOL! I sleep with the fan on when it's warm - I swear it is talking to me in my sleep!
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

  8. #28
    Professor Cerebrum123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,649
    Amen (Given)
    18888
    Amen (Received)
    3650
    Quote Originally Posted by Faber View Post
    Ever sleep with the radio on? Weird things happen.

    One night I was dreaming that we were organizing a volleyball game in my bedroom. The net was spread across the bed, and two team captains started selecting team members. Then the captains got into a conversation about home schooling. The rest of us got impatient and went to the kitchen for a snack. We came back up to the bedroom, and the team captains were still discussing home schooling. It was almost time to end the game anyway and go home. Then I woke up. James Dobson and Focus on the Family was on the radio, discussing home schooling.

    Another night, I dreamed that I was at work, and one of the co-workers in the other cubicle was preaching the gospel. I didn't wake up, but I later suspect that the audio came from one of the Bible preachers on the radio.

    My wife will kill me if she ever reads this one: I dreamed that we were going over the budget. I mentioned the utility bill, and she whispered "paaiiiid." The mortgage? She whispered "paaiiiid." Telephone bill? She whispered "paaiiiid." Then I woke up. She was softly snoring, and as she exhaled I heard her whisper "paaiiiid."

    If you don't read any future posts from me, it's probably because I'm dead.
    I used to listen to the radio all the time to try and help me sleep. Often the Adventures in Odyssey series. More recently when I feel I'm just about to fall asleep I hear what sounds like the radio, and actual songs and stations. They aren't ones I recognize though.

  9. #29
    tWebber Tassman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Sydney/Phuket
    Faith
    Atheist
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    11,444
    Amen (Given)
    2492
    Amen (Received)
    1802
    Quote Originally Posted by seer View Post
    I don't know, there are some very strange things that happen. Things out of the blue, not in any way related to the past day or so. For instance in one recent dream I'm driving on a back road at night, in a sports car with the top down at night with a close friend, a deer jumps out and over the car with his back legs hitting my friend, but he clears me. Where did that dream come from? Why?
    Well, as I say, it's theorised that dreaming is to store new material into the memory system according to its own subconscious logic. I suspect the underlined is the key.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

  10. #30
    tWebber seer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    New England
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    25,200
    Amen (Given)
    1740
    Amen (Received)
    5134
    Quote Originally Posted by Tassman View Post
    Well, as I say, it's theorised that dreaming is to store new material into the memory system according to its own subconscious logic. I suspect the underlined is the key.
    But what is the subconscious? Is it another personality? Another "me" making decisions that this "me" not consciously aware of? I mean who is running the show here?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •