Announcement

Collapse

Philosophy 201 Guidelines

Cogito ergo sum

Here in the Philosophy forum we will talk about all the "why" questions. We'll have conversations about the way in which philosophy and theology and religion interact with each other. Metaphysics, ontology, origins, truth? They're all fair game so jump right in and have some fun! But remember...play nice!

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The Strange Nature Of Dreams...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JimL View Post
    Seriously? Why, did you come up with a new definition to fit your agenda? Strong desire, in this case, a strong sexual desire. To lust after!
    You're using a very extreme example of "thinking about sin" (which is what Sparko actually said) and conflating it with what Jesus was talking about --- looking on a woman with lust. By your own definition, with a strong sexual desire.

The point at which it becomes sin is not just the thought coming into your head and dismissing it, but entertaining that thought and allowing it to take root. Jesus was comparing it to adultery -- implying that looking at a woman with a mind toward adultery is as bad as the act itself.

Not sure why this is so hard for you to grasp, aside from your anti-Christian bigotry.
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

But each one is tempted when by his own evil desires he is lured away and enticed. Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death. (James 1:14-15)

Sin is a conscious action, not something you accidentally bump into while walking around.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
        But each one is tempted when by his own evil desires he is lured away and enticed. Then after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is fully grown, gives birth to death. (James 1:14-15)

Sin is a conscious action, not something you accidentally bump into while walking around.
        EGGzackly - if I'm watching a movie at home, and a woman begins removing her clothes - I can't "unsee" that - but I can change the channel. If I perk up and get excited and keep watching --- that's a whole 'nuther matter.
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          You're using a very extreme example of "thinking about sin" (which is what Sparko actually said) and conflating it with what Jesus was talking about --- looking on a woman with lust. By your own definition, with a strong sexual desire.

The point at which it becomes sin is not just the thought coming into your head and dismissing it, but entertaining that thought and allowing it to take root. Jesus was comparing it to adultery -- implying that looking at a woman with a mind toward adultery is as bad as the act itself.

Not sure why this is so hard for you to grasp, aside from your anti-Christian bigotry.
          Ask Sparko why it's so hard for him to grasp, because your definition is the same as mine which Sparko apparently disagrees with. Btw, looking on a woman with lust with a mind toward committing adultery, according to the biblical Jesus, is itself a sin, even if adultery never occurs. That is what contradicts Sparko's argument which is that only the act itself is a sin.

Comment

Ask Sparko why it's so hard for him to grasp, because your definition is the same as mine which Sparko apparently disagrees with. Btw, looking on a woman with lust with a mind toward committing adultery, according to the biblical Jesus, is itself a sin, even if adultery never occurs. That is what contradicts Sparko's argument which is that only the act itself is a sin.
            Willfully dwelling on lustful thoughts is itself an act.

Comment

How bout providing the exact quote where Sparko allegedly said this, because I'm not seeing it. What I see Sparko saying was...

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              So thinking about a sin is an actual sin? If that is the case then resisting temptation is pointless since you have already committed the sin in your mind by thinking about it.
              From there, you jumped wildly to "looking on a woman with lust". That's far different than "thinking about a sin".

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That has nothing to do with the fact of the dreams coming true within hours. A German Shepard did attack my dog just like in the dream, and his master was not present. Why not some other breed of dog? Why was his master absent? And the woman Penny contacting me? Why not Beth or Lucy?
                I'm not doubting your sincerity but I think you are probably reading more into this than actually occurred in your dream. It has the ring to it of a Jeane Dixon prophecy. Or Nostramous.
                “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
                  Willfully dwelling on lustful thoughts is itself an act.
                  Dwelling on it rather than just a passing thought soon to be forgotten I think is an important part if not the key itself.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                    Dwelling on it rather than just a passing thought soon to be forgotten I think is an important part if not the key itself.
                    What's the timeline?

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      I never argued that only the act of actual illicit sex is a sin. Where did you get that? I was talking about the normal thinking of a sin but not committing it. Not all temptation is a sin.

Lust is more than just an attraction to a woman. It is more than a thought. It is contemplating, enjoying and fantasizing about having sex with her. That is why it is a sin. And it entails an illicit desire for the woman, someone you are not married to and should not be having sex with. If you just see a woman who you are attracted to and don't start actively fantasizing about her, then it isn't a sin. You can control your thoughts.
                      Last edited by Sparko; 08-06-2019, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                        I never argued that only the act of actual illicit sex is a sin. Where did you get that? I was talking about the normal thinking of a sin but not committing it. Not all temptation is a sin.

Lust is more than just an attraction to a woman. It is more than a thought. It is contemplating, enjoying and fantasizing about having sex with her. That is why it is a sin. And it entails an illicit desire for the woman, someone you are not married to and should not be having sex with. If you just see a woman who you are attracted to and don't start actively fantasizing about her, then it isn't a sin. You can control your thoughts.
                        Contemplating, enjoying and fantasizing is thinking as opposed to acting. Now you are all just rationalizing.

Comment

• Here's the difference.

Gallant: *sees pretty lady he is not married too* Thinks "Oh, that lady is pretty, but I shouldn't think improper thoughts about her. She wouldn't like that and God would not like that"

Goofus: *sees pretty lady* thinks "Oh! All the things I would love to do with that @#%$# tonight!" and then proceeds to think unprintable things about the lady that would be sexual harassment if he said it out loud.
                          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                            Contemplating, enjoying and fantasizing is thinking as opposed to acting. Now you are all just rationalizing.
                            Damn, you're an idiot.

Comment

• Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                              Exactly - when you encounter a potential lustful situation, you can choose to avoid/dismiss/reject, or you can avail yourself of the moment and proceed down the path of sin.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                I never argued that only the act of actual illicit sex is a sin. Where did you get that?
                                From his own dark hateful heart. The boy is so FULL of anti-Christian bigotry, he just can't help himself.

Comment