Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Space Force!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Force!

While it is pretty funny, apparently Trump isn't off his rocker.

There is actually already a US Space Command and they have been around for some time.

Here is a page from 2004

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/...s/newfctbk.htm

Introduction

Speeding unseen at 17,000 m.p.h. hundreds of miles overhead, sophisticated spacecraft beam data from their specialized payloads down to warriors scattered across the surface of the planet. The advantage space gives them could spell the difference between victory and defeat.

This scene, once science fiction, is now fact. The spacecraft bear names like Defense Support Program, Global Positioning System, and Milstar. The warriors wear the proud uniforms of the fighting men and women of the United States of America.

The Marine rifleman maps the precise coordinates of his individual foxhole. The Navy warship skipper scrutinizes recently-dowloaded imagery of tomorrow’s targets. The Army squad leader rushes her soldiers to safety after getting early warning of a missile attack. The Air Force pilot plots a safe course around a thunderstorm on the other side of the world. Space has become an integral part of modern military operations.

As the size of our military forces decrease and our worldwide military commitments increase, space forces help fill the gap. They help achieve America’s vision for its joint warfighters in the next century: out-maneuvering the enemy, attacking him with precision, protecting themselves from attack, and focusing logistics where and when it’s needed most.

Our nation relies on the men and women of U.S. Space Command to put the satellites that provide these capabilities in orbit, operate them, protect them, and ensure that the information they provide is exactly what America’s warfighters need to protect national security interests today and tomorrow.

====

And an article from 2001 on the need for a Space Force.

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/...w/moorhead.pdf
    ===

I think they need a better name than "Space Force"

Wasn't there a cartoon called Starcom: US Space Force"?

Starcom sounds cool.

Comment

US Space Command was merged into USSTRATCOM back in 2002. There is a service component called Air Force Space Command though.
      Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 06-22-2018, 11:40 PM.
      "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
      GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

The concept of space warfare has been around for decades. Reagan in particular pushed for his Star Wars program.
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          US Space Command was merged into USSTRATCOM back in 2002. There is a service component called Air Force Space Command though.
          yeah.

When I first heard Trump say Space Force I was thinking how ridiculous it sounded, but then I thought about all of the support we already do using satellites and such. Right now it is part of the Air Force, but making it a separate branch does make sense. It's not about shootouts in space, but about using space to supplement ground control.

Comment

Every time I see the title of this thread I think of the Duck Tales theme song.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
            "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
            Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

Originally posted by thewriteranon View Post
              I think of some cheesy 50s sci fi movie or TV show.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Have you watched the reboot? Personally I've enjoyed most of the episodes. Definitely more humorous than the original IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                  Have you watched the reboot? Personally I've enjoyed most of the episodes. Definitely more humorous than the original IMO.
                  I don't get any TV in MA. I'm Tejas now so I might be able to catch it. I loved the show when I was a smol kiddo.

"Fire is catching. If we burn, you burn with us!"
                  "I'm not going anywhere. I'm going to stay here and cause all kinds of trouble."
                  Katniss Everdeen

Christ our Passover has been sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast.

Comment

I don't get any TV in MA. I'm Tejas now so I might be able to catch it. I loved the show when I was a smol kiddo.
                    They have the first episode on their official youtube channel for Disney XD. I posted the video here on TWeb. It was a little hard to get used to the art style for me, but it's been pretty good. Was a little strange to see David Tennant do Scrooge McDuck as well.

Comment

I think of Space Farce.
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I think of Space Farce.
                        Is that something like Spaceballs?

Comment

Is he talking about what is essentially just GPS satellites, or actual weapons in space (I'm assuming even Bone Spurs isn't talking about space marines)?

Because as I understand it there's already a treaty in place banning weapon emplacements in orbit, as most countries capable of it agree it would be a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
                            Is he talking about what is essentially just GPS satellites, or actual weapons in space (I'm assuming even Bone Spurs isn't talking about space marines)?

Because as I understand it there's already a treaty in place banning weapon emplacements in orbit, as most countries capable of it agree it would be a bad idea.
                            I think at least for now it would just separate all of the stuff the Air Force does in space already, like GPS, spy satellites, military communications and the like. See the links in my second post in the thread. It talks about the US Spacecommand and what they currently do as part of the air force.

Comment

You hear "Space Force" and think, what a dumb name. Then you remember "Air Force."

Then you wonder why the Army isn't called the "Land Force."
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment