Announcement

Collapse

Biblical Languages 301 Guidelines

This is where we come to delve into the biblical text. Theology is not our foremost thought, but we realize it is something that will be dealt with in nearly every conversation. Feel free to use the original languages to make your point (meaning Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic). This is an exegetical discussion area, so please limit topics to purely biblical ones.

This is not the section for debates between theists and atheists. While a theistic viewpoint is not required for discussion in this area, discussion does presuppose a respect for the integrity of the Biblical text (or the willingness to accept such a presupposition for discussion purposes) and a respect for the integrity of the faith of others and a lack of an agenda to undermine the faith of others.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Mark 16:9-20 Epilogue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lee_merrill View Post
    Well, if the eleven believed that Jesus had risen as a spirit, then why didn't they believe it was him when they saw him (as they thought) as a ghost?

Blessings,
    Lee
    I'm not sure I understand this question.

Comment

Well, if the eleven believed that Jesus had risen as a spirit, then why didn't they believe it was him when they saw him (as they thought) as a ghost?

Blessings,
      Lee
      The eleven would not have believed that Jesus had risen as a spirit. In that culture, a spirit is dead, not risen.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
        The eleven would not have believed that Jesus had risen as a spirit. In that culture, a spirit is dead, not risen.
        That raises the question as to why Jesus rebuked them for their unbelief in the first place. In Luke 24:34 the disciples acknowledges that Jesus has risen, and has even shown himself to Peter, but when he appears to them in verses 36-43 he has to convince them he has a physical body, and is not a ghost/spirit. If the disciples really believed Jesus had indeed risen, and "risen" always refers to something physical it seems to me the disciples wouldn't have needed any convincing from Jesus in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
          That raises the question as to why Jesus rebuked them for their unbelief in the first place. In Luke 24:34 the disciples acknowledges that Jesus has risen, and has even shown himself to Peter, but when he appears to them in verses 36-43 he has to convince them he has a physical body, and is not a ghost/spirit. If the disciples really believed Jesus had indeed risen, and "risen" always refers to something physical it seems to me the disciples wouldn't have needed any convincing from Jesus in the first place.
          but... they DIDN'T believe he had indeed risen; that's why they needed convincing. Whatever belief they declared in verse 34 clearly wasn't very deep.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

But John "saw and believed"! (John 20:8) Even when he didn't understand from Scripture that Jesus would rise from the dead. But in any case, the disciples believed the two from Emmaus, saying "It is true! The Lord has risen..."

Blessings,
            Lee
            He said "they." And yes, John did believe. As did Mary who saw Jesus herself.
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              but... they DIDN'T believe he had indeed risen; that's why they needed convincing. Whatever belief they declared in verse 34 clearly wasn't very deep.
              I think what happened instead is that they believed Jesus was risen, and yet doubted that it was Jesus who was appearing to them. Jesus had to convince them that "it is I myself."

Blessings,
              Lee
              "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X