Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

A Sad Commentary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    Yup, your pretend TV President is cuckoo for coco puffs. He had a simple job of playing the victim and taking the political win, and he couldn't do it without bizarrely bringing the state of the paint into the conversation. Dementia.
    I actually agree here. That was a very petty and juvenile comment by Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
      If the family followed and harassed a family when Sarah wasn't even there, it is reprehensible. Apparently, that is what happened, though I still cannot find confirmation from any other sources; just the Michael Huckabee interview.

But why is no one talking about all of the restaurants across the country with the Red Hen name getting buried in harassing and threatening phone calls and social media posts?

The fact is, there are butt-heads on both sides of the political divide. They do not speak for all of us. It is as wrong for conservatives to point to a few liberal extremists and label the entire left with their actions as it is for the left to point to a few conservative extremists and label the entire right with their actions.
      Totally agree. I think this age of social media makes it all too easy to dehumanize people. If someone wants to boycott the REAL Red Hen, then I have no problem with that. Free country. But making threats is out of bounds, and to just do it to any restaurant with the name Red Hen is reprehensible and moronic.

Comment

So I saw from one of the news articles. I still am not finding confirmation anywhere. I would be more comfortable with confirmation.
        You apparently have Huckabee's word and some "news articles" - what other confirmation are you looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
          Totally agree. I think this age of social media makes it all too easy to dehumanize people. If someone wants to boycott the REAL Red Hen, then I have no problem with that. Free country. But making threats is out of bounds, and to just do it to any restaurant with the name Red Hen is reprehensible and moronic.
          Across the board, yes.
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            According to the Washington Post the owner actually boasted about how she has "managed to stay in business for 10 years by keeping politics off the menu."
            I wonder how long she will stay in business now that she has stopped keeping politics off the menu.

Comment

I support the business owner's right to refuse service to whoever they want to.
              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

Originally posted by RumTumTugger View Post
                I wonder how long she will stay in business now that she has stopped keeping politics off the menu.
                I think it will eventually blow over, and things will go back to whatever it was before.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

You apparently have Huckabee's word and some "news articles" - what other confirmation are you looking for?
                    All of the articles are based on Huckabee's interview. I have not heard or seen anything from anyone else who was actually there to confirm his claims. As far as I know, he was not one of the people there.
                    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

I suspect she'll see increased business from those who dislike Trump and boycotts from those who like him.

Comment

All of the articles are based on Huckabee's interview. I have not heard or seen anything from anyone else who was actually there to confirm his claims. As far as I know, he was not one of the people there.
                        ah. OK.

Although I don't see a reason for him to lie about it, I respect your wish to check it out more.

Comment

I suspect she'll see increased business from those who dislike Trump and boycotts from those who like him.
                          Probably. It will depend on what is the prevalent view in her locality since that is where most of her business will come from. Unless she is treated as poorly as the pizza parlor owners were who refused to cater a gay wedding. I think they were driven out of business with threats of violence and arson.

Comment

ah. OK.

Although I don't see a reason for him to lie about it, I respect your wish to check it out more.
                            In this day and age - I do not trust anything with a single source.

Comment

Probably. It will depend on what is the prevalent view in her locality since that is where most of her business will come from. Unless she is treated as poorly as the pizza parlor owners were who refused to cater a gay wedding. I think they were driven out of business with threats of violence and arson.
                              Sadly, those threats are far too common on both sides. They need to be strongly spoken against. Unfortunately, they too often are not - or are only spoken against by the opposing party when the threats are against them. They need to be universally derided always.

Comment

I've heard that the restaurant is in a college town that leaned significantly toward Hillary. It is possible that this might even lead to an uptick in business.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment