Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

MJ Hegar and John Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MJ Hegar and John Carter

Just curious to know what people think of this.

The ad that the article refers to can be found here.
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Can you do better than click bait?

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
      Can you do better than click bait?
      The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
        You asked "what do you think of this?" without giving any clue as to what the topic was -- just wanting us to click the links.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

You asked "what do you think of this?" without giving any clue as to what the topic was -- just wanting us to click the links.
          Ohh... good point. I assumed the title of the thread provided the context, but I guess if folks don't know who they are, that would not make much difference.

To provide the backdrop, MJ Hegar is the democratic candidate in the Texas 31st congressional district and is running to unseat the 15-year, T-party occupant of that seat (Carter). The seat has long been "solidly Republican" in most projections, but it has shifted to "likely Republican" since the airing of this add. Hegar is a decorated military vet who took on the issue of women in combat roles. In the process she encountered multiple political office holders who turned her away because "she was not a donor." One went so far as to say they actually agreed with her, but she wasn't a donor, so...." The ad Hegar put together is pretty powerful.

She seems to me to be an actual "drain the swamp" candidate, rather than one that just says the words and then doesn't follow through. I was curious to know what folks here would think of this candidate as opposed to Carter. If she was Republican, my guess is she would be a darling. She's not, so I assume some fault will be found with her?

The seat still appears to be pretty safe for Republicans. It was won in 2016 by 22 percentage points (just over 166K votes for Carter vs. just under 104K votes for Clark). A 22 point shift would seem unlikely. But it will be interesting to watch. Hegar appears to be exactly the kind of candidate that Democrats need to be running.
          Last edited by carpedm9587; 06-25-2018, 09:04 AM.

Comment

I do find it interesting that pretty much all the Democrat candidates that have done well since 2016 pretty much ran as being conservative. It seems that they know that in order to win they have to abandon the liberal message -- at least until they get into office.

Comment

Here's her story, as told by her.

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I do find it interesting that pretty much all the Democrat candidates that have done well since 2016 pretty much ran as being conservative. It seems that they know that in order to win they have to abandon the liberal message -- at least until they get into office.
                Actually...there are bonafide conservative Democrats. And there are moderate and far left Democrats as well. There used to be people across the political spectrum in the Republican party as well. I don't know of too many anymore. And there is a definite skewing to the far left and far right by both parties. That's probably why so many people have abandoned the parties and gone "independent."

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  Here's her story, as told by her.

Yeah - that's the ad I was referring to. My wife was all over it.

Comment