Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

George Will and the GOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Will and the GOP

I had no idea that George Will had left the Republican Party in 2016 when Trump secured the GOP nomination (or maybe when he was elected?). Now he has gone beyond leaving; he is actively advocating for conservatives to vote against the GOP in the midterms and 2020 elections. His opinion piece may be behind a pay wall (unfortunately), but there are several articles about this call.

I have long respected George Will. We differ on social concepts, but align pretty well on fiscal ones. I respect him because he is one of those conservatives who focuses on the issues and does not seem to descend into the petty squabbling that has become politics today.

Am I correct to assume that his defection means he is now persona non-grata in these chambers? If so, is there any thought to ask how the GOP could lose a man of the stature of George Wills? If these are the kinds of people fleeing, what does it say about the future of the GOP?
    The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Will is a political commentator, and fierce defender of conservatism. He switched his voter registration from Republican to "unaffiliated". I'm also not a Republican, but an independent. Will is certainly entitled to his opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean about him being non-grata "in these chambers". What chambers?

And, perhaps you're making the same mistake assuming that conservatives are necessarily republicans, like others assume that liberals are necessarily democrats?
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I suspect that he'll be accused of being a RINO, like John McCain before him.

Comment

George Will has always been a bit of a political weenie. He's like MSNBC's Joe Scarborough in that he's a liberal who wears the Republican label just so the mainstream media can pretend to be "balanced".
        Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
        But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
        Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          Will is a political commentator, and fierce defender of conservatism. He switched his voter registration from Republican to "unaffiliated". I'm also not a Republican, but an independent. Will is certainly entitled to his opinion.

I'm not sure what you mean about him being non-grata "in these chambers". What chambers?
          Theology Web

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
          And, perhaps you're making the same mistake assuming that conservatives are necessarily republicans, like others assume that liberals are necessarily democrats?
          Not at all. The umbrella of "independents" covers pretty much the entire political spectrum. But when a long-term Republican abandons the party because they feel the party have so badly compromised their ideals, it raises some questions.
          The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy...returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. Martin Luther King

I would unite with anybody to do right and with nobody to do wrong. Frederick Douglas

Comment

Originally posted by EvoUK View Post
            I suspect that he'll be accused of being a RINO, like John McCain before him.
            Well, they can't exactly call him that now!

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              George Will has always been a bit of a political weenie. He's like MSNBC's Joe Scarborough in that he's a liberal who wears the Republican label just so the mainstream media can pretend to be "balanced".
              Why am I not surprised...

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                Theology Web
                Ah

Not at all. The umbrella of "independents" covers pretty much the entire political spectrum. But when a long-term Republican abandons the party because they feel the party have so badly compromised their ideals, it raises some questions.
                I've always liked Will's perspective on baseball more than on politics.
                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Why am I not surprised...
                  Maybe because it's the truth?

Comment

I don't agree. Will may be an elitist Never Trumper but I cannot think of many positions he has taken that can be termed liberal

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Maybe because it's the truth?
                      No...I'm pretty sure it's because it's you..

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
                        I don't agree. Will may be an elitist Never Trumper but I cannot think of many positions he has taken that can be termed liberal
                        Is anyone who took the "Never Trump" stance an "elitist?"

Comment

Is anyone who took the "Never Trump" stance an "elitist?"
                          No. For instance, the recently deceased Charles Krauthammer was a Never Trumper but not an elitist. Will, OTOH, has always been a bit pompous and arrogant as well as elitist.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

No...I'm pretty sure it's because it's you..
                            Good point. I do have a reputation for telling the unvarnished truth, which isn't always what people want to hear.

Comment

Does this mean the GOP has lost its Will?
                              I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment