Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Red Hen Restaurant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    In all my born days, that's the first time I've ever heard being in heaven described as a weird floaty feeling.
    Delusional ideation takes many forms, including belief in heaven.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Delusional ideation takes many forms, including belief in heaven.
      That's OK - you can keep pretending you're smart.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Missed what show this was on as it was playing where I stopped to grab some lunch, but there was someone claiming that there is no proof that Wilkinson organized a protest at the restaurant that they went to after leaving the Red Hen because she may simply have been walking by and ran into them.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I'm amused at the owner's hypocrisy. It's not ok to discriminate against a couple in the gay wedding cake scenario (which is the liberal narrative about the issue which I don't buy into), but it is ok to discriminate against someone because of their political beliefs and/or job? Awesome, what a wonderfully inclusive society Mrs. Wilkinson is advocating.
          "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

Originally posted by myth View Post
            I'm amused at the owner's hypocrisy. It's not ok to discriminate against a couple in the gay wedding cake scenario (which is the liberal narrative about the issue which I don't buy into), but it is ok to discriminate against someone because of their political beliefs and/or job? Awesome, what a wonderfully inclusive society Mrs. Wilkinson is advocating.
            I'm not hearing many people argue that what the Restaurant did was okay, but it's interesting to note that you do agree with the right to discriminate. Btw, being gay and having certain political beliefs are not the same thing. The former is the nature of the person, the latter is simply opinions that they hold. Personally I don't think it matters, discrimination is discrimination whether based on a persons nature or their beliefs.

Comment

I don't agree with the right to discriminate. Regarding the 'gay cake' scenario, I don't think it was discrimination at all (which I've already said). But I'm not trying to hash out that issue in this thread.

I'm just pointing out that liberals generally think it was discrimination (thanks for the confirmation), and Mrs. Wilkinson (who presumably feels the same way you do) thought it was a good idea to discriminate against Mrs. Sanders based on their political beliefs. Sexuality is not equal to politics, I'm aware. But liberal hypocrisy, which usually involves the suppression of conservative ideas they don't like, is always amusing....mostly because they like to paint themselves as so inclusive and open-minded.
              "If you believe, take the first step, it leads to Jesus Christ. If you don't believe, take the first step all the same, for you are bidden to take it. No one wants to know about your faith or unbelief, your orders are to perform the act of obedience on the spot. Then you will find yourself in the situation where faith becomes possible and where faith exists in the true sense of the word." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship

Comment

I don't agree with the right to discriminate. Regarding the 'gay cake' scenario, I don't think it was discrimination at all (which I've already said). But I'm not trying to hash out that issue in this thread.

I'm just pointing out that liberals generally think it was discrimination (thanks for the confirmation), and Mrs. Wilkinson (who presumably feels the same way you do) thought it was a good idea to discriminate against Mrs. Sanders based on their political beliefs. Sexuality is not equal to politics, I'm aware. But liberal hypocrisy, which usually involves the suppression of conservative ideas they don't like, is always amusing....mostly because they like to paint themselves as so inclusive and open-minded.
                Which liberals consider themselves inclusive and open-minded to beliefs or ideologies? I have never heard a liberal say anything like that, but I have heard again and again conservatives ascribe this trait to liberals.

Comment

Oh, but you do believe discrimination should be a right, you just don't want to call it discrimination.
                  Liberals generally think that both situations were discriminatory so the only hypocrisy is the imagined hypocrisy in your own head.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                    Which liberals consider themselves inclusive and open-minded to beliefs or ideologies? I have never heard a liberal say anything like that, but I have heard again and again conservatives ascribe this trait to liberals.
                    I didn't say the bolded portion, but the very idea of inclusiveness does seem to include the tolerance towards people who believe differently than oneself, among other topics.

In answer to your question: nearly every liberal I've ever met. They're constantly mocking conservatives and many times the religious with the complaint that we're NOT being inclusive. There's the obvious implication in any such complaint that liberals ARE inclusive. Also, a quote from the 2016 DNC platform:

"Above all, Democrats are the party of inclusion. We know that diversity is not our problem—it is our promise. As Democrats, we respect differences of perspective and belief, and pledge to work together to move this country forward, even when we disagree. With this platform, we do not merely seek common ground—we strive to reach higher ground."

Comment

• Originally posted by JimL View Post
                      Oh, but you do believe discrimination should be a right, you just don't want to call it discrimination.
                      No. I'm making a distinction that you're apparently not capable of understanding. I said I'm not interested in rehashing the whole issue, but I'll summarize my viewpoint briefly (since you're accusing me believing things I don't): The baker in that instance did not wish to use his creative abilities to support a wedding between homosexuals, since his personal religious beliefs are that such a lifestyle is sin. If the same homosexual couple had come in and asked for a birthday cake, I have no doubt he would have happily made them such a cake. He wasn't refusing to make a cake for homosexuals, he was refusing to make a cake that specifically celebrated a homosexual union. I see that as a major difference, but you apparently don't. I'm not trying to win an argument with you about this, but there's no need to make unsavory accusations about my take on issues that you lack the ability to comprehend.

Liberals generally think that both situations were discriminatory so the only hypocrisy is the imagined hypocrisy in your own head.
                      In this particular instance, I'm only alleging that Mrs. Wilkinson was a hypocrite. Other liberals are sometimes hypocrites for other reasons, as are conservatives.

Comment

• Another, similar episode, this time in Vancouver.

Rightly, the restaurant manager was fired.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/vancou...-hat-1.3995778

VANCOUVER -- A Vancouver restaurant manager has been fired for refusing to serve a customer who was wearing a "Make America Great Again" hat.

The slogan popularized by U.S. President Donald Trump in his 2016 campaign has been embroidered on bright red baseball caps that have become an emblem of his supporters.

Eva Gates, vice president of operations and human resources for the Sequoia Company of Restaurants, says the capped patron was sitting on the patio at Vancouver's Teahouse in Stanley Park on Tuesday when the floor manager approached him.

Gates says the manager told the man he had to take off his hat in order to dine at the Teahouse. The patron opted to leave the restaurant instead.

The Teahouse's website identifies the manager as Darin Hodge.

In a statement, Hodge says he hasn't changed his mind about his decision.

"I stand by my decision to ask the patron to remove his hat. The MAGA hat has come to symbolize racism, bigotry, Islamophobia, misogyny, white supremacy, homophobia. As a person with a strong moral backbone, I had to take a stand against this guest's choice of headwear while in my former place of work," he wrote.
                        Leftist tolerance at it's finest.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                          I didn't say the bolded portion, but the very idea of inclusiveness does seem to include the tolerance towards people who believe differently than oneself, among other topics.

In answer to your question: nearly every liberal I've ever met. They're constantly mocking conservatives and many times the religious with the complaint that we're NOT being inclusive. There's the obvious implication in any such complaint that liberals ARE inclusive. Also, a quote from the 2016 DNC platform:

"Above all, Democrats are the party of inclusion. We know that diversity is not our problem—it is our promise. As Democrats, we respect differences of perspective and belief, and pledge to work together to move this country forward, even when we disagree. With this platform, we do not merely seek common ground—we strive to reach higher ground."
                          You said you're aware that discrimination based on sexuality and discrimination based on politics are different and that's why I added the bolded part. Nearly every liberal I've ever met is inclusive, or at least claims to be inclusive, of people with different races, sexualities, disability status, genders, and religion (in a general sense), while at the same time is ready to criticize or exclude people who want to contribute to the oppression of a minority. I don't see any contradiction or hypocrisy there because the point of contention is whether or not people are persecuted for their immutable characteristics, not whether or not everyone is free to do or say as they wish without contest.

I believe that DNC platform statement is correct if "differences of perspective" means minority perspectives and "difference of belief" means general religious status or deviation of opinion within a liberal worldview, but I think both of us agree that if "differences of perspective and belief" was meant to be inclusive of conservative ideology, it was a bald-faced lie then and certainly now.

I know this discussion is off-topic, but I saw you double down on this idea so it looked like a good opportunity to explore a criticism I always found questionable.

Comment

• And that explains Governor Bob Casey at the 1992 Democrat convention.
                            When I Survey....

Comment

• Originally posted by Psychic Missile View Post
                              You said you're aware that discrimination based on sexuality and discrimination based on politics are different and that's why I added the bolded part. Nearly every liberal I've ever met is inclusive, or at least claims to be inclusive, of people with different races, sexualities, disability status, genders, and religion (in a general sense), while at the same time is ready to criticize or exclude people who want to contribute to the oppression of a minority. I don't see any contradiction or hypocrisy there because the point of contention is whether or not people are persecuted for their immutable characteristics, not whether or not everyone is free to do or say as they wish without contest.

I believe that DNC platform statement is correct if "differences of perspective" means minority perspectives and "difference of belief" means general religious status or deviation of opinion within a liberal worldview, but I think both of us agree that if "differences of perspective and belief" was meant to be inclusive of conservative ideology, it was a bald-faced lie then and certainly now.

I know this discussion is off-topic, but I saw you double down on this idea so it looked like a good opportunity to explore a criticism I always found questionable.
                              Tell that to every liberal that's mocked Christianity but condemned anyone speaking against Islam. I don't think inclusiveness means one agrees with the other person's beliefs, but it does mean one respects their beliefs. I've never assumed that inclusiveness meant embracing another's politics. But perhaps it should mean, at a minimum, displaying a certain amount of civility to those with whom one disagrees. Which is exactly the opposite of what Mrs. Wilkinson did.

Comment

• Originally posted by myth View Post
                                Tell that to every liberal that's mocked Christianity but condemned anyone speaking against Islam. I don't think inclusiveness means one agrees with the other person's beliefs, but it does mean one respects their beliefs. I've never assumed that inclusiveness meant embracing another's politics. But perhaps it should mean, at a minimum, displaying a certain amount of civility to those with whom one disagrees. Which is exactly the opposite of what Mrs. Wilkinson did.
                                At a certain point, maintaining respect and civility with someone you disagree with is in itself disrespectful and uncivil towards those that person opposes. Surely there are words or deeds so odious that you would not tolerate the perpetrator's custom if you had the power to refuse service.

Comment