Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The More We Evolve, the Less We Need God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    From a philosophical standpoint, we can't know anything with 100% certainty.
    Are you 100% certain about that?

If you are, you contradicted yourself. And if you are not, your statement cannot be witheld. Which one do you chose?

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      Because the bible tells him so! Problem is the bible is interpreted differently by other Christians who accept homosexuality. And there is no way such conflicts can be resolved when different Christians hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive

http://www.pewforum.org/religious-la...d-be-accepted/
      And of course, the "Christians" who agree with your worldview are the right ones in your eyes.

I like that quote and I can see using it often here.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
        And of course, the "Christians" who agree with your worldview are the right ones in your eyes.
        Without doubt the same can be said of you.

The bible is demonstrably open to interpretation, so it rather depends on what interpretation is deemed to be the correct one doesn't it.

Comment

Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
          Of course there are gaps. It may be there will always BE gaps. "God of the gaps" is when people replace an "I don't know" with "god did it." As we learn more, the pattern becomes fairly clear. Gaps previously filled by "god did it" are replaced with "oh, so THAT's how it works." Looking back over history, we consistently see "god did it" replaced with a scientific explanation; we never see the reverse. So, as people learn more, we learn that putting "god did it" in the gap is an unnecessary step. We can merely say "we don't know" until such time as we do know, whenever and if ever that time comes.
          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-02-2018, 11:49 PM.
          "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

If the idea of god is still pertinent to understanding our cosmos.

Exactly.

And if god does not exist, as I believe, then our expanding ability to explain the universe and understand our place in it will diminish the general need for a belief in god. There will always be those who cling to it, of course, but most of humanity will likely move on, which appears to be what we are seeing. In the Major developed countries, "Nones" are the fastest growing segment of our society. Some of those are, of course, people who do not claim association with any formal religious grouping/theology. Many (most?) are people like me, who have rejected the suggestion that a supreme being actually exists.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

MM, there is little/no doubt in my mind that the root of Christian beliefs is "god says so." Most religions are based on an authoritarian model. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've been told, on this site, that a thing is or is not right/wrong because "it's in the bible" or "god wills it" or "it is the nature of god." God sits at the center, and god "anoints" specific individuals who have authority to teach/preach/enforce the beliefs - moral and otherwise. But I think people are looking for meatier explanations. That simply does not satisfy.

It's why, as a parent, I always had an explanation for the things I asked my children to do, and took the time to explain it. Sometimes I had to ask them to wait (if there was danger), but I always followed up with "why." I wanted them to learn to ask questions, and to reject answers that were rooted in "because I say so." I suspect most young people are likewise growing up less and less satisfied with a dictatorial model for faith.
              Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-03-2018, 12:08 AM.
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That is false Tass, "Christians" who don't believe that homosexuality is sin are rejecting Scripture. If you follow the text there is no conflict:
                Leviticus! Really??? Always a useful book to support your prejudices, but you are surely aware that there are a lot of proscriptions in that book which nobody follows, because they are primitive and barbaric and downright stupid...or do you never "wear clothing woven of two kinds of material"?

And you've got Paul, but where's the bit where Jesus condemns homosexuality in the same forthright manner he condemns divorce? Oh, that's right, he doesn't!

You are illustrating my point that there is no way moral conflicts can be resolved when different Christians hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive. In fact a significant majority of Christians support homosexual rights according to Pew Research. You can judge these people if you wish. I have no reason to doubt their sincerity as Christians and the way they interpret the bible re homosexuality.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                  Leviticus! Really??? Always a useful book to support your prejudices, but you are surely aware that there are a lot of proscriptions in that book which nobody follows, because they are primitive and barbaric and downright stupid...or do you never "wear clothing woven of two kinds of material"?

And you've got Paul, but where's the bit where Jesus condemns homosexuality in the same forthright manner he condemns divorce? Oh, that's right, he doesn't!
                  Tass, the Bible both Old and New Testament calls homosexual behavior sin. Now, we were speaking of Christians and what they believe. So like I said, if a Christian says that homosexuality is not sin he have will have to reject Scripture. BTW Christ said nothing about rape or child molesting either - so?

You are illustrating my point that there is no way moral conflicts can be resolved when different Christians hold absolute beliefs which are mutually exclusive. In fact a significant majority of Christians support homosexual rights according to Pew Research. You can judge these people if you wish. I have no reason to doubt their sincerity as Christians and the way they interpret the bible re homosexuality.
                  And you are making my point, they are not interpreting the Bible, they are rejecting what it says.
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

OK - so let's test this position of yours. Why is homosexuality morally wrong?
                    Before I answer your question, try answering mine: Why is it morally wrong to drive faster than the posted speed limit?

This is not a question about consequences, so saying "because it could endanger others" is not an acceptable answer. Suppose for the sake of argument that you are an expert driver, that you're the only person on a stretch of road for miles, and you have sufficient visibility to see any obstacle imaginable long before it poses any kind of problem. Why, even in that scenario, is speeding morally wrong?
                    Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-03-2018, 09:24 AM.
                    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

• Originally posted by carpedm9587 View Post
                      No response, MM?
                      Give me a break, carpe. I've been busy.

Comment

• Actually, no...the Bible might mention something about fewer believers in the end times, though.
                        I DENOUNCE DONALD J. TRUMP AND ALL HIS IMMORAL ACTS.

Comment

• Originally posted by mossrose View Post

I also like the quote that says something like, Man does not reject God's existence because of a lack of evidence but because of the implications that would follow if he does exist.
                          Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-03-2018, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• I consider Peter's sermon in Acts 2 to be the quintessential Christian sermon, and at no point does he appeal to "Because God said so." On the contrary, he appealed to traditional lines of evidence and used scripture to give them context.

Acts 2: "Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know [...] This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing."
                            Last edited by Mountain Man; 07-03-2018, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zymologist View Post
                              Actually, no...the Bible might mention something about fewer believers in the end times, though.
                              Everything that can be shaken, will....
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                                I also like the quote that says something like, Man does not reject God's existence because of a lack of evidence but because of the implications that would follow if he does exist.
                                No gods, no masters...

Comment