Announcement

Collapse

Apologetics 301 Guidelines

If you think this is the area where you tell everyone you are sorry for eating their lunch out of the fridge, it probably isn't the place for you

This forum is open discussion between atheists and all theists to defend and debate their views on religion or non-religion. Please respect that this is a Christian-owned forum and refrain from gratuitous blasphemy. VERY wide leeway is given in range of expression and allowable behavior as compared to other areas of the forum, and moderation is not overly involved unless necessary. Please keep this in mind. Atheists who wish to interact with theists in a way that does not seek to undermine theistic faith may participate in the World Religions Department. Non-debate question and answers and mild and less confrontational discussions can take place in General Theistics.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

The More We Evolve, the Less We Need God

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Tassman View Post
    Again, I didn’t say the Fourteenth Amendment was directly connected with Public Accommodations. I said that the Civil Rights Act was and it was legislated by Congress under several different parts of the Constitution...including the Commerce Cause. The whole point of public-accommodations laws are to further the goals of several provisions of the Constitution including the equal-protection clause of the Fourteenth Amendment.
    BS Tass, when I said that the Fourteenth Amendment did not apply to private business, you said nonsense. You were wrong, just admit it.
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

• Originally posted by seer View Post
      BS Tass, when I said that the Fourteenth Amendment did not apply to private business, you said nonsense. You were wrong, just admit it.
      I was not wrong, the Civil Rights Act does apply to private businesses. The Act is a package legislated by Congress under several different parts of the Constitution...including the Commerce Cause and the Fourteenth Amendment..
      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

I was not wrong, the Civil Rights Act does apply to private businesses. The Act is a package legislated by Congress under several different parts of the Constitution...including the Commerce Cause and the Fourteenth Amendment..
        I said the that the Fourteenth Amendment did not apply to private business, you said nonsense, but I was correct. You were wrong, just admit it!
        Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

• 14th, section 1
          All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

If anything the "No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States" would protect Phillips from the Colorado state trying to abridge his first amendment right to free exercise of religion.

Comment

I said the that the Fourteenth Amendment did not apply to private business, you said nonsense, but I was correct. You were wrong, just admit it!
            But the Civil Rights Act does apply to private businesses under the Public Accommodations Clause. The Act is a package legislated by Congress under several different parts of the Constitution...including the Commerce Cause and the Fourteenth Amendment. My concern throughout has been civil rights as encapsulated in the Civil Rights Act as I've made clear, so drop your pathetic point-scoring exercise.
            “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

But the Civil Rights Act does apply to private businesses under the Public Accommodations Clause. The Act is a package legislated by Congress under several different parts of the Constitution...including the Commerce Cause and the Fourteenth Amendment. My concern throughout has been civil rights as encapsulated in the Civil Rights Act as I've made clear, so drop your pathetic point-scoring exercise.
              Again, the Fourteenth Amendment does not apply to private business, and Commerce Cause only applies to businesses that accept out of state goods or travelers. If they don't the CRA does not apply. And I'm not scoring points just making things clear.

Comment

Again, the Fourteenth Amendment does not apply to private business, and Commerce Cause only applies to businesses that accept out of state goods or travelers. If they don't the CRA does not apply. And I'm not scoring points just making things clear.
                The Civil Rights Act of 1964 incorporated the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws in conjunction with other Amendments, notably the Fifteenth Amendment, in "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theatres, retail stores, and similar establishments" "as called for by President John F. Kennedy in his Report to the American People on Civil Rights of June 11, 1963,"

"Radio and television address on civil rights, 11 June 1963". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. 1963-06-11. Retrieved 2013-11-23. Cited Wiki.

Comment

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 incorporated the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws in conjunction with other Amendments, notably the Fifteenth Amendment, in "giving all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public—hotels, restaurants, theatres, retail stores, and similar establishments" "as called for by President John F. Kennedy in his Report to the American People on Civil Rights of June 11, 1963,"

"Radio and television address on civil rights, 11 June 1963". John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum. 1963-06-11. Retrieved 2013-11-23. Cited Wiki.
                  Tass, I don't care what Kennedy said, does the Fourteenth Amendment apply to private business - yes or no?

Comment

Tass, I don't care what Kennedy said, does the Fourteenth Amendment apply to private business - yes or no?

In practical terms yes. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 incorporated the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws in conjunction with other Amendments, notably the Fifteenth Amendment, so as to give all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public. Seems reasonable to me! What's your objection to all citizens having equal civil rights without the risk of discrimination?

Comment

In practical terms yes. The Civil Rights Act of 1964 incorporated the Fourteenth Amendment and its duty to guarantee all citizens equal protection of the laws in conjunction with other Amendments, notably the Fifteenth Amendment, so as to give all Americans the right to be served in facilities which are open to the public. Seems reasonable to me! What's your objection to all citizens having equal civil rights without the risk of discrimination?
                      Then why didn't the Congress actually use the Fourteenth Amendment in relation to private business, why did they use the Commerce instead?

Comment

Then why didn't the Congress actually use the Fourteenth Amendment in relation to private business, why did they use the Commerce instead?
                        Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution in order to provide full and equal civil rights for all citizens. A noble goal I would have thought! The Civil Rights Act of 1964 emulated the Civil Rights Act of 1875 enacted during the Reconstruction Era in response to civil rights violations to African Americans, "to protect all citizens in their civil and legal rights", giving them equal treatment in public accommodations, public transportation, and to prohibit exclusion from jury service. Do you have any objections to equal civil rights for all citizens?

Comment

Congress asserted its authority to legislate under several different parts of the United States Constitution in order to provide full and equal civil rights for all citizens. A noble goal I would have thought! The Civil Rights Act of 1964 emulated the Civil Rights Act of 1875 enacted during the Reconstruction Era in response to civil rights violations to African Americans, "to protect all citizens in their civil and legal rights", giving them equal treatment in public accommodations, public transportation, and to prohibit exclusion from jury service. Do you have any objections to equal civil rights for all citizens?
                          Tass, the Civil Rights Act of 1875 was shot down by the court because the Congress tried to apply the Fourteenth Amendment to private business. And again, the Fourteenth Amendment does not apply to private business - period. And yes, though I support the CRA as it applies to state actors, I don't like it as it applies to the private sector. I don't think the Government should be in a position of forcing one man to serve another man under the threat of law.

Comment

Tass, the Civil Rights Act of 1875 was shot down by the court because the Congress tried to apply the Fourteenth Amendment to private business. And again, the Fourteenth Amendment does not apply to private business - period.
                            That’s as may be but the revised version of Civil Rights Act of 1875 i.e. the Civil Rights Act of 1964 DOES apply to Public Accommodations...i.e. private businesses.

And yes, though I support the CRA as it applies to state actors, I don't like it as it applies to the private sector. I don't think the Government should be in a position of forcing one man to serve another man under the threat of law.
                            What you “like’ or “dislike is irrelevant. The key component of the Act, which seems to have escaped you, is the protection of all citizens in their civil and legal rights, giving them equal treatment in public accommodations, public transportation, and etc.

Comment

That’s as may be but the revised version of Civil Rights Act of 1875 i.e. the Civil Rights Act of 1964 DOES apply to Public Accommodations...i.e. private businesses.
                              But the the Fourteenth Amendment does NOT apply to private business. Period...
                              Last edited by seer; 08-22-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

But the the Fourteenth Amendment does NOT apply to private business. Period...
                                Don't you know that Tassman knows more about the USA than anyone living here? Just like Starlight. They are the only real experts on American government and politics.

Comment