Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Republicans deficit-spend on military

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
    That was during a period where Republicans had control of congress so they were writing the budget. Do you remember the various govt shut downs and threats of them where the republican congress and Obama couldn't reach an agreement?

One of the agreements they eventually reached was that Republicans were allowed to get some of the tax cuts they were pushing for.

Of course social programs create tax revenue.

No. The countries that spend least, by and large, are the 3rd world countries. Over the 20th century, the Western nations spent more and more, and got wealthier and wealthier. It turns out that having a functioning government running your country well and spending on lots of important things is good.

The EU has been trying 'austerity' (spending less) lately and it's been failing pretty abysmally, and stagnating the economy. Because the government is the single biggest spender by far in any modern economy, the government cutting back on spending tanks the economy pretty fast. Part of how FDR's New Deal worked was by increasing government spending which massively boosted the economy.

Giving you that $50 rather than it going to the government, meant the government has less income. We're talking about the government spending more than it takes in through taxes.
    It's like you live in a mirror universe where everything is backwards. Spend more to reduce debt? Social programs generate taxes?

Well my raise is allowing me to go to Germany for vacation next week so I am not only stimulating the American travel economy, but the European economy as well, and I was watching the Hobbit on TV last week, so I am helping the economy of New Zealand too! By giving me a raise, Trump and I are helping to stimulate the economy of the whole world!

Comment