X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll Drink to That!

Coffee!

Fresh grounds for coffee: Study shows it may boost longevity

CHICAGO (AP) — Go ahead and have that cup of coffee, maybe even several more. New research shows it may boost chances for a longer life, even for those who down at least eight cups daily.

In a study of nearly half-a-million British adults, coffee drinkers had a slightly lower risk of death over 10 years than abstainers.

The apparent longevity boost was seen with instant, ground and decaffeinated, results that echo U.S. research. It’s the first large study to suggest a benefit even in people with genetic glitches affecting how their bodies use caffeine.

Overall, coffee drinkers were about 10 percent to 15 percent less likely to die than abstainers during a decade of follow-up. Differences by amount of coffee consumed and genetic variations were minimal.

The results don’t prove your coffee pot is a fountain of youth nor are they a reason for abstainers to start drinking coffee, said Alice Lichtenstein, a Tufts University nutrition expert who was not involved in the research. But she said the results reinforce previous research and add additional reassurance for coffee drinkers.

“It’s hard to believe that something we enjoy so much could be good for us. Or at least not be bad,” Lichtenstein said.

The study was published Monday in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine.

It’s not clear exactly how drinking coffee might affect longevity. Lead author Erikka Loftfield, a researcher at the U.S. National Cancer Institute, said coffee contains more than 1,000 chemical compounds including antioxidants, which help protect cells from damage.

So, my two vices - dark chocolate and coffee - may actually be keeping me alive longer!
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Coffee!

CHICAGO (AP) — Go ahead and have that cup of coffee, maybe even several more. New research shows it may boost chances for a longer life, even for those who down at least eight cups daily.

In a study of nearly half-a-million British adults, coffee drinkers had a slightly lower risk of death over 10 years than abstainers.

The apparent longevity boost was seen with instant, ground and decaffeinated, results that echo U.S. research. It’s the first large study to suggest a benefit even in people with genetic glitches affecting how their bodies use caffeine.

Overall, coffee drinkers were about 10 percent to 15 percent less likely to die than abstainers during a decade of follow-up. Differences by amount of coffee consumed and genetic variations were minimal.

The results don’t prove your coffee pot is a fountain of youth nor are they a reason for abstainers to start drinking coffee, said Alice Lichtenstein, a Tufts University nutrition expert who was not involved in the research. But she said the results reinforce previous research and add additional reassurance for coffee drinkers.

“It’s hard to believe that something we enjoy so much could be good for us. Or at least not be bad,” Lichtenstein said.

It’s not clear exactly how drinking coffee might affect longevity. Lead author Erikka Loftfield, a researcher at the U.S. National Cancer Institute, said coffee contains more than 1,000 chemical compounds including antioxidants, which help protect cells from damage.

So, my two vices - dark chocolate and coffee - may actually be keeping me alive longer!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I think I mentioned it before but my doctor told me to drink more coffee before.

Now if I can only get him to tell me to eat more bacon...

Comment

Coffee!

They found a half a million British heretics who drink coffee?
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Next month the headlines will declare that coffee causes [fill in the blank with something bad].

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
            Next month the headlines will declare that coffee causes [fill in the blank with something bad].
            Well coffee is a stimulant and that makes you twitch, whitch causes dancing, which leads to sex.
            Last edited by Sparko; 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
              Well coffee is a stimulant and that makes you twitch, whitch causes dancing, which leads to sex.
              And coffee starts with C which rhymes with P and that stands for pool.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
              "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
              "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

And coffee starts with C which rhymes with P and that stands for pool.
                And it sounds like Covfefe which makes it part of Trump.

Comment

Coffee!

That good news calls for a large snifter of brandy!
                  Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    Evil, pure evil...

Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Y'all do realize that the vast majority of coffee drinkers die within a week of drinking the stuff

Comment

Y'all do realize that the vast majority of coffee drinkers die within a week of drinking the stuff
                        It's been decades for me, so I must be immune.
                        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                        sigpic
                        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          It only kills pink wrinkly alligator looking things with pirate hats.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                            Nobody said that it was after the first drink.

Did you also realize that most auto accidents here in the U.S. are caused by people who drink coffee?

Comment

Nobody said that it was after the first drink.
                              Still unlikely to happen to me, since I pretty much only drink it at work, and I ain't working past my three score and 10....

sigpic

Comment