Announcement

Collapse

Christianity 201 Guidelines

orthodox Christians only.

Discussion on matters of general mainstream evangelical Christian theology that do not fit within Theology 201. Have some spiritual gifts ceased today? Is the KJV the only viable translation for the church today? In what sense are the books of the bible inspired and what are those books? Church government? Modern day prophets and apostles?

This forum is primarily for Christians to discuss matters of Christian doctrine, and is not the area for debate between atheists (or those opposing orthodox Christianity) and Christians. Inquiring atheists (or sincere seekers/doubters/unorthodox) seeking only Christian participation and having demonstrated a manner that does not seek to undermine the orthodox Christian faith of others are also welcome, but must seek Moderator permission first. When defining “Christian” or "orthodox" for purposes of this section, we mean persons holding to the core essentials of the historic Christian faith such as the Trinity, the Creatorship of God, the virgin birth, the bodily resurrection of Christ, the atonement, the future bodily return of Christ, the future bodily resurrection of the just and the unjust, and the final judgment. Persons not holding to these core doctrines are welcome to participate in the Comparative Religions section without restriction, in Theology 201 as regards to the nature of God and salvation with limited restrictions, and in Christology for issues surrounding the person of Christ and the Trinity. Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 forum without such restrictions.

Additionally and rarely, there may be some topics or lines of discussion that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream orthodox doctrine (in general Christian circles or in the TheologyWeb community) or that deny certain core values that are the Christian convictions of forum leadership that may be more appropriately placed within Unorthodox Theology 201. NO personal offense should be taken by such discretionary decision for none is intended. While inerrancy is NOT considered a requirement for posting in this section, a general respect for the Bible text and a respect for the inerrantist position of others is requested.

The Tweb rules apply here like they do everywhere at Tweb, if you haven't read them, now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Trophy Game Hunting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    And God gets the Glory!
    I'm dubious that it's ever a good idea to rebuke someone when they are honestly giving glory to God - even if we think they are misguided.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
      Um, locals can be fined or jailed for hunting endangered species - is it really a good idea to let them be dependent on bush meat from game hunters? Wouldn't developing photo-tourism and using that influx of capital to further develop the economy be a better plan?
      Perhaps, but these "trophy hunters" are the ones with the big bucks.

This reminds me, though, of the time we took a Christian Farm group from Waco Texas with us to Haiti. They were going to set up one of those food/cycle things... raise rabbits, rabbit pellets enrich the soil, grow crops, feed rabbits, eat rabbits....

The very first night we were there, the locals broke into the storage area and killed all the rabbits for a feast. There is ZERO CONCEPT of "what do I eat tomorrow", when there is an opportunity for a feast today.

That was 30 years ago, or so, so maybe things have changed.
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

I'm dubious that it's ever a good idea to rebuke someone when they are honestly giving glory to God - even if we think they are misguided.
        I think it makes Christians look like idiots. We can do enough of that on our own. And stop rebuking me for rebuking people*!

*kidding, of course
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Perhaps, but these "trophy hunters" are the ones with the big bucks.

This reminds me, though, of the time we took a Christian Farm group from Waco Texas with us to Haiti. They were going to set up one of those food/cycle things... raise rabbits, rabbit pellets enrich the soil, grow crops, feed rabbits, eat rabbits....

The very first night we were there, the locals broke into the storage area and killed all the rabbits for a feast. There is ZERO CONCEPT of "what do I eat tomorrow", when there is an opportunity for a feast today.

That was 30 years ago, or so, so maybe things have changed.
          Hang on - I have a link you might like...

I think there are signs of progress - but it takes time to climb out of a deep well.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

OK, so I'm giving that a serious mull -- never had thought of it that way before.

But I can think of BUNCHES of situations where we would WANT to rebuke somebody for giving glory to God - even if we think they are misguided.

And my mind immediately goes to all the Islamist extremists who, when they blow up a bunch of people, or mow them down with guns, or run them over with trucks, or whack their heads off with a sword - "give glory to God", and they're definitely misguided.
            Or the anti-abortion activist who blows up an abortion clinic and kills a doctor, and "gives glory to God". I will loudly and clearly condemn both the act and the false praise.
            Or the guy who believes that God has given him justice because an enemy of his dies of a heart attack - "and gives glory to God".

I'm just thinking - and it's all your fault!

A minor example of this happened years ago when a guy in our Church told me that "God gave him a van", and he was giving God the glory.
            Well, the "gift" of the van came with 5 years of car payments at an outrageous interest rate.
            Then the transmission went out, but "give God the Glory" - somebody in Corpus Christi has a transmission for his van for FREE, and all he needs to do is go get it, "glory to God!"
            So he spends a bunch of gas money and two days to go get this transmission, gets home to install it, and it's the WRONG TRANSMISSION for that van! (God didn't know this?)

So, I guess this is kind of a pet peeve of mine - that people give God the glory for stupid stuff.

Comment

I think there are signs of progress - but it takes time to climb out of a deep well.
              Wow, that brought back a lot of memories. And, yeah, hope!

And, speaking of 'deep wells' - that was one of the things we did in Haiti. We had a crew drilling deep wells for clean water, because so much of their drinking water was terribly polluted.

We discovered there was a team of Lutherans drilling wells on the other side of the mountains, and we got together with them - they had been drilling a well over there, then dragging their equipment to our side, and drilling another well, while our equipment was being dragged over to their side of the mountain... didn't take much genius to agree to "trade wells". When they needed a well drilled on our side of the mountain, they would commission us to drill it, and vice versa. We even exchanged team members for cross-training purposes, and had a blast!

Comment

OK, so I'm giving that a serious mull -- never had thought of it that way before.

But I can think of BUNCHES of situations where we would WANT to rebuke somebody for giving glory to God - even if we think they are misguided.

And my mind immediately goes to all the Islamist extremists who, when they blow up a bunch of people, or mow them down with guns, or run them over with trucks, or whack their heads off with a sword - "give glory to God", and they're definitely misguided.
                Or the anti-abortion activist who blows up an abortion clinic and kills a doctor, and "gives glory to God". I will loudly and clearly condemn both the act and the false praise.
                Or the guy who believes that God has given him justice because an enemy of his dies of a heart attack - "and gives glory to God".

I'm just thinking - and it's all your fault!

A minor example of this happened years ago when a guy in our Church told me that "God gave him a van", and he was giving God the glory.
                Well, the "gift" of the van came with 5 years of car payments at an outrageous interest rate.
                Then the transmission went out, but "give God the Glory" - somebody in Corpus Christi has a transmission for his van for FREE, and all he needs to do is go get it, "glory to God!"
                So he spends a bunch of gas money and two days to go get this transmission, gets home to install it, and it's the WRONG TRANSMISSION for that van! (God didn't know this?)

So, I guess this is kind of a pet peeve of mine - that people give God the glory for stupid stuff.
                Misguided isn't the same thing as obviously and demonstrably wrong. We as Christians SHOULD rebuke those in error - but as much as I'd like to lump hunting in as 'evil' I can't rationally make that argument from Scripture. I do think an argument can be made against trophy hunting but it would be inferential - and I can see someone being genuinely convinced otherwise. I think the evidence is stronger for that person being misguided - but they aren't sinning and I am concerned about being too legalistic here.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

I made CP think!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Misguided isn't the same thing as obviously and demonstrably wrong. We as Christians SHOULD rebuke those in error - but as much as I'd like to lump hunting in as 'evil' I can't rationally make that argument from Scripture. I do think an argument can be made against trophy hunting but it would be inferential - and I can see someone being genuinely convinced otherwise. I think the evidence is stronger for that person being misguided - but they aren't sinning and I am concerned about being too legalistic here.
                    Sorry, but I still have a problem with her standing there pointing to the sky as though God directed her path to kill this giraffe. I just don't buy it, and I believe she's wrong in claiming that. What she did was evidently legal, and can even be claimed to have a conservationist angle, but I just don't believe God needed to be 'credited' with this kill.

Comment

Sorry, but I still have a problem with her standing there pointing to the sky as though God directed her path to kill this giraffe. I just don't buy it, and I believe she's wrong in claiming that. What she did was evidently legal, and can even be claimed to have a conservationist angle, but I just don't believe God needed to be 'credited' with this kill.
                      yeah it seems really self-serving and full of false humility.

Comment

Not a fan of slaughter - but there are perfectly humane methods of killing livestock that don't involve gut shooting them from a tree stand.

Culling only by licensed professionals would have the added benefit of allowing venison to return to restaurant tables - for those of you inclined to eat Bambi (personally, Bambi is a bit too dry and 'dusty' tasting for me).

You're saying that like it's a bad idea.
                        Banning all cars because of idiot drivers? Yes, that's a bad idea...no one is for it. The economic hit alone from banning hunting would be tremendous...potentially devastating to the economy

When I was a girl, I was shot at two (I think three but I could be wrong about the last time) times, had several dogs killed, a cat (how the HECK do you 'mistake' an orange cat for a deer?) and a NEIGHBOR killed by the local hunters. The neighbor was ACROSS a LAKE, standing in his living room when a moron took a wild shot off the top of a cliff.

I have friends who hunt. I have read hunting magazines with good articles on hunting safety. I will concede that responsible hunters exist - BUT I have NEVER personally seen one in years of living in and around woods. I HAVE seen plenty of idiots on tailgates waiting for their dogs to flush something to the road along with a host of other crap. Intellectually, I make the concession that there are hunters who take it seriously and responsibly ( a few in this thread) - but there's a part of me that will never fully accept the idea. Like unicorns, it would be cool if they existed, but I've never seen the evidence where it mattered.
                        I'm sorry that you've had idiots hunting around you. I personally know a man who was mauled by dogs as a child, he has little tolerance for dogs running free esp. in the woods he's hunting in. Not that it's right but, he has been known to shoot them instead of risking another mauling. Fear is a beast.

Cat for a deer? No, that's just boredom plus cruelty in action. I've been hunting for over 40 years, and I've never EVER mistaken anything that was not a deer for a deer. Drinking in a tree stand (or any stand for that matter) is downright stupid...it's why it's not allowed on my lease. (I'm the president of our lease and I set the rules). Alcohol has to remain in Camp...period. Texas isn't perfect by any stretch. Public hunting land is a bit dangerous IMO and should be regulated better. The first time I went bow hunting on public land, I was scared out of my tree stand by squirrel hunters. They were shooting up into the trees for squirrels and walked right underneath me. I climbed down and never went back. I pay a pretty good price to hunt on private land, but the safety factor is well worth it. In all the years of hunting with this group on private land, there's never been even a scare of someone or something other than game being shot. This is the norm where I hunt. It's safe, it's effective, and I would fight tooth and nail to keep it.
                        "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                          Why? Just why!

'MY DREAM HUNT' American game hunter sparks outrage after slaughtering rare black giraffe on South African hunt

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28667[/ATTACH]

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/667394...-south-africa/
                          According to her, the bull was past mating age, had killed 3 young males recently (taking them out of the breeding pool), and was a danger to kill other healthy young males because he was much larger and stronger. Killing one threat to save others is ok. Plus, the black giraffe's population has exploded over 140% since the 80s, so it isn't like killing one of the last 3 dodos...
                          That's what
                          - She

Without a clear-cut definition of sin, morality becomes a mere argument over the best way to train animals
                          - Manya the Holy Szin (The Quintara Marathon)

I may not be as old as dirt, but me and dirt are starting to have an awful lot in common
                          - Stephen R. Donaldson

Comment

God probably helped her find a parking space, too.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
                              God probably helped her find a parking space, too.

Although, I have been having trouble with a tooth for a while, and it got worse over the weekend. Yesterday my dentist was closed in lieu of Dominion Day, which was Sunday. I was going to phone for an appointment this morning.

Prayed all weekend that I would be seen quickly, because, the dentist.

Decided to stop in after getting groceries since his office is almost next door to the grocer, explained my situation, they did an X-ray right then and he had a look. Walked out 10 minutes after I walked in with an antibiotic and a date with him for a root canal.

I give God praise for the positive answer to my prayer for a speedy appointment!*

*I give God praise for every answer to prayer. Yes, no, or wait.....
                              Last edited by mossrose; 07-03-2018, 04:17 PM.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                My point was that while the meat was probably going to good use, I don't think she killed the Giraffe out of a desire to feed people. Her motivation was to get a photo op and a trophy and used the meat as a pass so she can feel OK about it afterwards. The meat was a byproduct to her ego.

at least in my opinion.
                                you could be right...but from what little I know about it is they know up front that the meat will be going to feed the local villages. It usually sold as a win win...at least I'm sure they tell themselves that.
                                "What has the Church gained if it is popular, but there is no conviction, no repentance, no power?" - A.W. Tozer

"... there are two parties in Washington, the stupid party and the evil party, who occasionally get together and do something both stupid and evil, and this is called bipartisanship." - Everett Dirksen

Comment