Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Does the Trinity constitute three separate consciousnesses?

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    "God" is frequently used in the New Testament to refer to the Father specifically. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18). Besides, it wouldn't have made sense in context to say "the Father," because God wasn't the Father of the Samaritans. "Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O Lord, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting." (Isaiah 63:16). Use some common sense, man. Your understanding of the Trinity seems pretty weak. Saying that Jesus is the same as the Holy Spirit is heresy.
    God is a Spirit. Unless the Son of God is also that Spirit He would never be God. The name from everlasting is YHWH (John 8:24; 2 John 9; 1 John 5:12; Romans 8:9).
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiocrat View Post
    My understanding of Classical Theism is that the only distinction in the Trinity is that of procession. The Son proceeds from the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son. And that is that. It seems to me far more plausible for there to be be three separate consciousnesses and not just procession as it would make far more sense on the incarnation for one thing.

Are there any problems with such a view? I understand the philosophical objections from those who argue that God must be simple otherwise he couldn't be the first cause etc but is there any particular Biblical issues or are they inextricably linked to the philosophical objections to there being three separate consciousnesses?
    I suspect that consciousness is something animals have, as a result of having perishable bodies; but not something beings who are pure spirits, such as angels or God, have. I think God is “beyond” being conscious, a bit as men, in having consciousness, are beyond subatomic particles. Except that God is far more different from men even than that.

Faith
    Ultramontane Papist XPian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiocrat View Post
    My understanding of Classical Theism is that the only distinction in the Trinity is that of procession. The Son proceeds from the Father and the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son. And that is that. It seems to me far more plausible for there to be be three separate consciousnesses and not just procession as it would make far more sense on the incarnation for one thing.

Are there any problems with such a view? I understand the philosophical objections from those who argue that God must be simple otherwise he couldn't be the first cause etc but is there any particular Biblical issues or are they inextricably linked to the philosophical objections to there being three separate consciousnesses?
    I suspect that consciousness is something animals have, as a result of having perishable bodies; but not something beings who are pure spirits, such as angels or God, have. I think God is “beyond” being conscious, a bit as men, in having consciousness, are beyond subatomic particles. Except that God is far more different from men even than that.

tWebber
    Faith
    Unorthodox Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes... There is a glorified man seated at God's right hand fulfilling God's Word in the beginning... that His image would have dominion. Further, if those who believe are conformed to His image would they not have dominion as well? "...if you love me you will obey my commands, and whatever you ask in my name I will do..." (paraphrasing cuz I'm lazy today).