Announcement

Collapse

Theology 201 Guidelines

This is the forum to discuss the spectrum of views within Christianity on God's foreknowledge and election such as Calvinism, Arminianism, Molinism, Open Theism, Process Theism, Restrictivism, and Inclusivism, Christian Universalism and what these all are about anyway. Who is saved and when is/was their salvation certain? How does God exercise His sovereignty and how powerful is He? Is God timeless and immutable? Does a triune God help better understand God's love for mankind?

While this area is for the discussion of these doctrines within historic Christianity, all theists interested in discussing these areas within the presuppositions of and respect for the Christian framework are welcome to participate here. This is not the area for debate between nontheists and theists, additionally, there may be some topics that within the Moderator's discretion fall so outside the bounds of mainstream evangelical doctrine that may be more appropriately placed within Comparative Religions 101 Nontheists seeking only theistic participation only in a manner that does not seek to undermine the faith of others are also welcome - but we ask that Moderator approval be obtained beforehand.

Atheists are welcome to discuss and debate these issues in the Apologetics 301 or General Theistics 101 forum without such restrictions. Theists who wish to discuss these issues outside the parameters of orthodox Christian doctrine are invited to Unorthodox Theology 201.

Remember, our forum rules apply here as well. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Does the Trinity constitute three separate consciousnesses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Obsidian View Post
    In my opinion, people who teach that are severely undermining the humanity of Jesus Christ.
    Well to be fair they'd make a big difference between the pre and post-incarnate Son. The question though would be how do they reconcile the single mind of God and Jesus' mind especially with respect to the Garden of Gethsemane which seems to indicate two wills

Comment

Originally posted by Physiocrat View Post
      Well, classical theists I have come across argue that the term person here is a technical one which doesn't relate to what we normally understand by person. Now to what they use it mean, all I can gather is that there is Father, Son and Spirit, they aren't each but one and they only differences are the difference of procession as laid out in the OP
      Well to be fair they'd make a big difference between the pre and post-incarnate Son. The question though would be how do they reconcile the single mind of God and Jesus' mind especially with respect to the Garden of Gethsemane which seems to indicate two wills
      I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding something when it comes to what classical theists believe. If we're to go by your understanding of what they believe we'd pretty much have to condemn every classical theist as modalists/sabellianists. If there is only one consciousness in God then it would necessarily follow that Father, Son and Spirit are just separate roles that this one consciousness is playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrawnus View Post
        I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding something when it comes to what classical theists believe. If we're to go by your understanding of what they believe we'd pretty much have to condemn every classical theist as modalists/sabellianists. If there is only one consciousness in God then it would necessarily follow that Father, Son and Spirit are just separate roles that this one consciousness is playing.
        I think I am being fair to those who hold divine simplicity which is what I take to be classical theism. God is pure act, his existence is his essence. In him there are no parts.

Here's a discussion on the nature of the trinity which I think shows I'm being fair-

https://youtu.be/PMYM8ZRLabM

Comment

Well, Jesus had a human body complete with human brain. So, He had to go against the survival instinct that does not want to die.
          If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Comment

God is one Spirit (John 4:24) and we know Him as three distinct Persons (Romans 8:9, 16).
            . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

Originally posted by 37818
              God is one Spirit (John 4:24)
              That verse mentions God (presumably the Father) being a Spirit, and it also mentions being worshipped in spirit (presumably referring to the Holy Spirit). So I would say that makes at least two spirits.

Also:

Luke 23:46
              And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

So there's another, too.

Comment

That verse mentions God (presumably the Father) being a Spirit, and it also mentions being worshipped in spirit (presumably referring to the Holy Spirit). So I would say that makes at least two spirits.

Also:

Luke 23:46
                And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.

So there's another, too.
                Originally posted by 37818 View Post
                God is one Spirit (John 4:24) and we know Him as three distinct Persons (Romans 8:9, 16).
                Verse 9, ". . . the Spirit of God . . . _ . . .the Spirit of Christ, . . . " Verse 16, " The Spirit Itself . . . ."
                . . . the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; . . . -- Romans 1:16 KJV

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 KJV

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1 KJV

Comment

I don't understand what point you are trying to make.

Comment

"But the boldest analogy of all is used by Jesus, who prays for believers 'that they may all be one; even as you, Father, are in me, and I in you, that they also may be in us' (John 17:21).

… Even though the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit have perfect and eternal unity, yet they remain distinct persons. In the same way, even though we shall someday attain perfect unity with other believers and with Christ, yet we shall forever remain distinct persons as well, with our own individual gifts, abilities, interests, responsibilities, circles of personal relationships, preferences, and desires."

Wayne A. Grudem, Systematic Theology, 844.
                    "What I pray of you is, to keep your eye upon Him, for that is everything. Do you say, 'How am I to keep my eye on Him?' I reply, keep your eye off everything else, and you will soon see Him. All depends on the eye of faith being kept on Him. How simple it is!" (J.B. Stoney)

Comment

I don't understand what point you are trying to make.
                      The three Persons who are the one and the same God are of the same substance (John 4:24), to use the term. It is the Person of the Holy Spirit who is the reason they are the one and the same God.

In Romans 8:9 refers to God the Father as the "Spirit of God," and the Son as the "Spirit of Christ," verse 16 the Spirit as Himself.

Comment

The verse you cited from Romans is just saying that the Father and the Son both have control over the Spirit. The phrase "Spirit of Christ" is expressing ownership, or origin. It is saying: Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit, so if you are one of Jesus's people then you have the Spirit. It isn't saying that the Spirit is equivalent to either the Son, or the Father. Nor is it denying that the Father and the Son have their own spirits.

The other verse you are citing, John 4:24, is just saying that the Father is a spirit, and in order to worship him properly we need to use a spirit — specifically the Holy Spirit — to connect us to him. It isn't saying that the Holy Spirit and the Father are the same thing.

Comment

The verse you cited from Romans is just saying that the Father and the Son both have control over the Spirit. The phrase "Spirit of Christ" is expressing ownership, or origin. It is saying: Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit, so if you are one of Jesus's people then you have the Spirit. It isn't saying that the Spirit is equivalent to either the Son, or the Father. Nor is it denying that the Father and the Son have their own spirits.

The other verse you are citing, John 4:24, is just saying that the Father is a spirit, and in order to worship him properly we need to use a spirit — specifically the Holy Spirit — to connect us to him. It isn't saying that the Holy Spirit and the Father are the same thing.
                          God is a Spirit (John 4:24). That the Father, Son of God and the person of the Holy Spirit are God would mean that they are that Spirit (John 4:24).
                          Last edited by 37818; 07-11-2018, 08:56 AM.

Comment

In context, "God" there refers to the Father. Jesus wasn't a "spirit," but a man.

Comment

In context, "God" there refers to the Father. Jesus wasn't a "spirit," but a man.
                              And Jesus is still a man (1 Timothy 2:5; Hebrews13:8).

" . . . for I am God, and not man; the Holy One . . . ." God to Hosah, Hosah 11:9.

When Jesus said, "God is a Spirit," He did not say "'The Father' is a Spirit." Limiting that to the Person of His Father. (John 5:18)

". . . He that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. . . ." -- John 3:13.

Comment

"God" is frequently used in the New Testament to refer to the Father specifically. "No man hath seen God at any time; the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him." (John 1:18). Besides, it wouldn't have made sense in context to say "the Father," because God wasn't the Father of the Samaritans. "Doubtless thou art our father, though Abraham be ignorant of us, and Israel acknowledge us not: thou, O Lord, art our father, our redeemer; thy name is from everlasting." (Isaiah 63:16). Use some common sense, man. Your understanding of the Trinity seems pretty weak. Saying that Jesus is the same as the Holy Spirit is heresy.

Comment

widgetinstance 221 (Related Threads) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X