Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does the Trinity constitute three separate consciousnesses?

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrawnus View Post
    I don't see how there could be anything but three consciousnesses(sp?) without making nonsense of the concept of personhood.
    I hereby offer my yesnesses.
    "Neighbor, how long has it been since you’ve had a big, thick, steaming bowl of Wolf Brand Chili?”

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't see how there could be anything but three consciousnesses(sp?) without making nonsense of the concept of personhood.
    The concept of kenosis is relevant here. While in the flesh, Jesus did not know when he would return, but said that God the Father did know. Clearly there is a distinction.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

3. Amen Chrawnus amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsGambit View Post
    The concept of kenosis is relevant here. While in the flesh, Jesus did not know when he would return, but said that God the Father did know. Clearly there is a distinction.
    Some trinitarians such as Dr Walter Martin takes the position that the second Person of the Trinity did not become the Son until His incarnation (Luke 1:35; Mark 13:32 [Acts 1:7]). Dr Martin held that the concept of the eternal Son was not biblical. [I disagree with Dr. Martin on the concept of the eternal Son, though like the term Trinity does not occur in the Bible.]
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, classical theists I have come across argue that the term person here is a technical one which doesn't relate to what we normally understand by person. Now to what they use it mean, all I can gather is that there is Father, Son and Spirit, they aren't each but one and they only differences are the difference of procession as laid out in the OP

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiocrat
    Well, classical theists I have come across argue that the term person here is a technical one which doesn't relate to what we normally understand by person. Now to what they use it mean, all I can gather is that there is Father, Son and Spirit, they aren't each but one and they only differences are the difference of procession as laid out in the OP
    In my opinion, people who teach that are severely undermining the humanity of Jesus Christ.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian View Post
    In my opinion, people who teach that are severely undermining the humanity of Jesus Christ.
    Well to be fair they'd make a big difference between the pre and post-incarnate Son. The question though would be how do they reconcile the single mind of God and Jesus' mind especially with respect to the Garden of Gethsemane which seems to indicate two wills

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Physiocrat View Post
    Well to be fair they'd make a big difference between the pre and post-incarnate Son. The question though would be how do they reconcile the single mind of God and Jesus' mind especially with respect to the Garden of Gethsemane which seems to indicate two wills
    I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding something when it comes to what classical theists believe. If we're to go by your understanding of what they believe we'd pretty much have to condemn every classical theist as modalists/sabellianists. If there is only one consciousness in God then it would necessarily follow that Father, Son and Spirit are just separate roles that this one consciousness is playing.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I'm pretty sure you're misunderstanding something when it comes to what classical theists believe. If we're to go by your understanding of what they believe we'd pretty much have to condemn every classical theist as modalists/sabellianists. If there is only one consciousness in God then it would necessarily follow that Father, Son and Spirit are just separate roles that this one consciousness is playing.
    I think I am being fair to those who hold divine simplicity which is what I take to be classical theism. God is pure act, his existence is his essence. In him there are no parts.

Here's a discussion on the nature of the trinity which I think shows I'm being fair-

https://youtu.be/PMYM8ZRLabM

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Well, Jesus had a human body complete with human brain. So, He had to go against the survival instinct that does not want to die.
    If it weren't for the Resurrection of Jesus, we'd all be in DEEP TROUBLE!

Faith
    Nontraditional Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    God is one Spirit (John 4:24) and we know Him as three distinct Persons (Romans 8:9, 16).
    . . . the Gospel of Christ, for it is [the] power of God to salvation to every [one] believing, . . . -- Romans 1:16.

. . . that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures: . . . -- 1 Corinthians 15:3, 4.

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: . . . -- 1 John 5:1.