Announcement

Collapse

Deeper Waters Forum Guidelines

Notice – The ministries featured in this section of TheologyWeb are guests of this site and in some cases not bargaining for the rough and tumble world of debate forums, though sometimes they are. Additionally, this area is frequented and highlighted for guests who also very often are not acclimated to debate fora. As such, the rules of conduct here will be more strict than in the general forum. This will be something within the discretion of the Moderators and the Ministry Representative, but we simply ask that you conduct yourselves in a manner considerate of the fact that these ministries are our invited guests. You can always feel free to start a related thread in general forum without such extra restrictions. Thank you.

Deeper Waters is founded on the belief that the Christian community has long been in the shallow end of Christianity while there are treasures of the deep waiting to be discovered. Too many in the shallow end are not prepared when they go out beyond those waters and are quickly devoured by sharks. We wish to aid Christians to equip them to navigate the deeper waters of the ocean of truth and come up with treasure in the end.

We also wish to give special aid to those often neglected, that is, the disabled community. This is especially so since our founders are both on the autism spectrum and have a special desire to reach those on that spectrum. While they are a special emphasis, we seek to help others with any disability realize that God can use them and that they are as the Psalmist says, fearfully and wonderfully made.

General TheologyWeb forum rules: here.
See more
See less

Happy Independence Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Happy Independence Day

Enjoy your Independence Day everyone.

The link can be found here.

-----

How shall we celebrate this day? Let's plunge into the Deeper Waters and find out.

Today, we who are Americans celebrate the day we declared ourselves a free people. It's important to realize it was a declaration. The freedom was not guaranteed. There was no certainty that the mission would be successful. It was a great risk, but many of us today living in freedom in America are thankful for that risk.

I'm also making it a point to not say the 4th of July. Today is a day to really say something specific. We don't say on Christmas, "Merry 25th of December!" or on Valentine's Day "Happy 14th of February love of my life!" We refer to them as Christmas and Valentine's Day. Why not refer to today as Independence Day?

Today, many of us will be celebrating with friends and loved ones. There's nothing wrong with that. Here in Atlanta, we'll be meeting with my wife's family. (I also can't help but think right now about a friend who said yesterday on Facebook that it's so hot that he's sweating like Steven Furtick listening to a Paul Washer sermon. I wish I had come up with that, but I didn't.)

Yet as we gather together, let's remember something. We can gather together. We can celebrate. We have that freedom. Many of us have taken too much for granted in our country. This is especially so when it comes to religious freedom. We can say we see some encroachments on that, and we could say so rightly, but many of us can still go to the church of our choice without fearing that the government is going to burst in on us and shut us down and/or kill us all.

The tragedy of all of this is we don't really use our freedom well. Think back to how many people in the past wrote so much. You and I can read the New Testament easily enough. Have you ever considered what it would be like to write the New Testament? I don't mean sit down and type it out. I mean write by hand a book of the New Testament. Luke is said to have contributed more than anyone. Have you ever thought about what it would be like to write Luke and Acts using ancient materials?

We have so much freedom to do so much good and we tend to not do it. Imagine what Paul would do with what we have today. How would Paul use the internet, podcasts, television, etc.? Dare I say it but I think much of what we do with what we have is paltry compared to what those who went before us did with what they had. They also often did so in the midst of real persecution.

That doesn't mean we don't give thanks for our freedom or despise it. It means we use it wisely. God has granted us a nation where we can worship freely. We can serve freely. It is a tragedy to get a great gift and to squander it. Let's make sure we're not doing it.

Happy Independence Day everyone!

In Christ,
    Nick Peters

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Back atcha - happy 5th tomorrow, but happy Independence Day today!
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Freedom aint free.
        download (1).jpeg
        sigpic

Comment

I was specifically looking for graphics last week to use in our upcoming Sunday Bulletin, and was searching for "Independence Day" rather than "4th of July".....

I had to wade through hundreds of....

independence day.jpg
          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            I was specifically looking for graphics last week to use in our upcoming Sunday Bulletin, and was searching for "Independence Day" rather than "4th of July".....

I had to wade through hundreds of....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28701[/ATTACH]
            Why not just go with that anyway?
            "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
              Why not just go with that anyway?
              The average age of my congregation is senile - they wouldn't get it.

Comment

Christian Independence Day.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                  The average age of my congregation is senile - they wouldn't get it.
                  Maybe they'd get this one?

happy treason day.jpg

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28703[/ATTACH]
                    Some of them were probably there!

Comment

Did you get that from my page?
                      I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment

The Brits coulda won that war if they had promised the American wimmenfolk that they could attend the next royal wedding.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by ke7ejx View Post
                          Did you get that from my page?

I picked it up someplace a year ago, I think.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I picked it up someplace a year ago, I think.
                            I share it every year. I find it so hilarious.
                            I am Punkinhead.

"I have missed you, Oh Grand High Priestess of the Order of the Stirring Pot"

~ Cow Poke aka CP aka Creacher aka ke7ejx's apprentice....

Comment