Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Cow Poke Could Conceivably be Not Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
    I've had no faith Republicans would actually successfully pro-life policies, at least on a national level and on most state levels as well, because there's just enough loyal opposition to scuttle any of it (Susan Collins, for one). In my state, conservatives ran from the pro-life position like flies after Todd Akin's gaffe a few years ago, and they even had all the power. It wasn't even worth defending.

One of my best friends growing up is now a top level political operative in the state I grew up with and he told me the Republicans have no intention of actually banning abortion because they profit too much from exploiting it as a wedge issue. I didn't believe him then but now I'm not so sure.
    Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I think both sides are guilty of giving lip service to things they really don't want to "solve", because they can always raise money on the threat of being outvoted or "gosh, we just need more cash". Current border crisis is, to me, an excellent example.
    Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    Unfortunately I think you are absolutely correct. It's just like with Obamacare. Republicans bellowed that if they got control of the House of Representatives they'd repeal it. First they got the House and they did nothing saying the needed the Senate. Then the got the Senate and they did nothing saying they needed the presidency. To be fair this was true. Any legislation they passed was sure to be vetoed. But then lo and behold they controlled both House of Congress and the White House and then all of a sudden some of those who cried out the loudest about repealing it, like John McCain, voted against repealing it exposing themselves for what they really are. Lying opportunists. I think the same thing would happen with abortion.
    Unfortunately, yes - BUT - and it's a really big but - there is a limited amount of 'good faith' that people will put into a given party. BOTH parties have over extended their credit - and neither can really afford to keep doing so.

Using wedge issues is a short term solution that creates long term problems - turn out and affiliation drift being two of them. While Trump wasn't my first choice, I will say that he does understand the need to give the customer what they want - and I doubt he isn't fully aware that the Court was a LARGE part of why he was able to not only keep votes from Clinton but get people into the polls. A poor choice now will really cost in the midterms - you do NOT want to disillusion your base when they aren't really all that inclined to show up anyway. A good choice might just keep both houses and hurt the Dems a bit - the economic gains are more of an issue with a lot of their base than the Court is.

And the Court matters to the right primarily due to Roe.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by MaxVel View Post
      It's them there End Times fer sure!
      Yeah, now I've started the apocalypse....
      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
        National Review had a good article today about how most abortion arguments rely upon Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which is why the screeching over Roe is ridiculous. It's worth a read.
        Linky would be nice.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
          Yeah, now I've started the apocalypse....
          Looks to the east. Nothing. Looks to the west. uh-oh. 4FourHorsemen.gif

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by psstein View Post
            National Review had a good article today about how most abortion arguments rely upon Planned Parenthood v. Casey, which is why the screeching over Roe is ridiculous. It's worth a read.
            Um, what? Skimming Casey, the issue seems to be 'undue burden'. If that's the actual issue, then Roe kills off Casey when it is overturned - because the 'right' being protected from undue burden ceases to exist.

Yeah, yeah, I'll read it...

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Unfortunately I think you are absolutely correct. It's just like with Obamacare. Republicans bellowed that if they got control of the House of Representatives they'd repeal it. First they got the House and they did nothing saying the needed the Senate. Then the got the Senate and they did nothing saying they needed the presidency. To be fair this was true. Any legislation they passed was sure to be vetoed. But then lo and behold they controlled both House of Congress and the White House and then all of a sudden some of those who cried out the loudest about repealing it, like John McCain, voted against repealing it exposing themselves for what they really are. Lying opportunists. I think the same thing would happen with abortion.
              I don't think it was a matter of "lying opportunists" in regards to Obamacare. The issue is they were all united in believing Obamacare was bad... but there were considerable divisions in regards to what it should be replaced with (if anything at all). These divisions could be ignored beforehand because they weren't actually in a position to do anything, but once they were all put into power they became obvious and the resulting infighting prevented any repeal.

Comment

Source

Of course, the Democrats becoming insane may make the issue moot.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                  Unfortunately, yes - BUT - and it's a really big but -

Honey, do you think this dress makes my .... um....

backing away slowly
                  The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Isn't that against one of the laws of logic somewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Cerebrum123 View Post
                      Isn't that against one of the laws of logic somewhere?
                      I like Jeff Foxworthy's answer.... "honey, why don't you just go ahead and kick me in the [stomach] and get it over with".
                      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                        I like Jeff Foxworthy's answer.... "honey, why don't you just go ahead and kick me in the [stomach] and get it over with".
                        Oh, I wasn't talking about that. I was responding to the thread title.

Comment

if the democrats give up their seats to deny the confirmation, what is to stop the republicans who get elected from confirming Kennedy's replacement?
                          Last edited by Sparko; 07-08-2018, 05:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Terraceth View Post
                            I don't think it was a matter of "lying opportunists" in regards to Obamacare. The issue is they were all united in believing Obamacare was bad... but there were considerable divisions in regards to what it should be replaced with (if anything at all). These divisions could be ignored beforehand because they weren't actually in a position to do anything, but once they were all put into power they became obvious and the resulting infighting prevented any repeal.
                            That's kind of like deciding to let a building burn down because you disagree about how best to put it out.

Comment

That's kind of like deciding to let a building burn down because you disagree about how best to put it out.
                              You say this as if this isn't an activity the government regularly engages in.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                                if the democrats give up their seats to deny the confirmation, what is to stop the republicans who get elected from confirming Kennedy's replacement?
                                Bingo - and I don't recall anything in the Constitution that prohibits re-nominating the same person (although it would probably just go to Trump's second choice).

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment