Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's just let ANYBODY vote!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    That is standard here in New Zealand for all elections. Any non-citizen, who isn't here just temporarily, can vote.
    Foreigners vote, allow friends also families to come in.

Starlight, other profs: 'why house prices so high!?!?!??!
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    If you remove the age requirement like you want that means that even infants have the right to vote. The same group you don't even think have a right to live, what with your supporting the "right" of parents to kill children who are a couple months old.
    Let demi guess, starlight thinks children can consent too.
    Trump is basically "Bruce Wayne pretending to be a foppish retarded billionaire" tier genius, in case nerds need a simpler metaphor.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    So, I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but NZ was colonized much later than the US.
    12000 years later, IIRC.
    Mountain Man: A skin cell is a skin cell. It doesn't grow, it doesn't organize, it doesn't adapt, it doesn't self-sustain, it doesn't metabolize, it doesn't respond to stimuli.

Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    12000 years later, IIRC.
    Well I wasn't there at the time. Estimates seem to vary a bit, but around 1300 AD for the first humans (polynesian settlers, now called Maori) here in NZ. It doesn't stop their descendants from claiming to be "natives", of course, if it suits their political purposes, and I am totally not cynical about it all...

However with regard to people being in the US 12000 years earlier, I am sure MM is happy to lecture you on the Truth of the 6000 year old earth.

Faith
    invalid value
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    No taxation without representation. Meaning if you pay tax, you should have a vote. Citizenship may bring additional entitlements.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

6. Amen Starlight amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    No taxation without representation. Meaning if you pay tax, you should have a vote. Citizenship may bring additional entitlements.
    No, it doesn't state or imply that you can't vote if you don't pay taxes.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    So am I, but this is Roy and I daresay he would not have missed the opportunity to have done exactly the same thing if the shoe were on the other foot.
    Quite.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Yes, actually, particularly with regard to how the US right-wing doesn't seem to see democracy as a fundamental good and cornerstone of Western civilization.
    OK, this is nutty.

I was thinking today how to get this across to you, and maybe I could convey it by considering the Freedom of Speech right. My own personal view is that freedom of speech is a secondary good because it contributes toward the two primary goods of 'Personal Freedom' and 'Democracy'. But I don't particularly regard freedom of speech as a be-all and end-all good in and of itself, only as a means to those ends. So, if there comes along a good reason to curtail it a tiny bit, I don't particularly have a problem with that. So if it turns out that it's better than we ban drawings of Muhammad or going out of our way to insult black or gay people on race or sexual grounds, then so be it.

Whereas, from a lot of Americans, and particularly right-wing Americans, I get the impression you view Freedom of Speech as an absolutely fundamental good in and of itself. You view it as not merely present in your constitution to ensure freedom of political opinions and thus allow for a properly functioning democracy (i.e. as a means to achieving the goal of Democracy), but rather you view it as an absolute and sanctified right in an of itself. And woe betide anyone who dares violate the sacred right of freedom of speech. If anyone does, cue people screaming "You're violating my FREEDOM OF SPEECH!" and almost general emergency sirens and panic buttons being hit. Anyone could be forgiven for thinking you guys think the entirety of Western civilization is coming to an end the moment freedom of speech is breached in any minor particular.
    You can't seem to help yourself from actual conversation to dramaqueen nuttery. I don't think you'll find any conservatives who think it should be allowed, for example, to yell "fire" in a crowded theater, or to incite a riot.....

Where to you get these nutty ideas?

The rest of your screed is just as nutty, so I'll leave it at that.

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

10. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Catholic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Automatic voter registration seems like a fine idea to me. Its what we have in our country. We all get sent a voting slip by mail, we're free to use it or not, it acts as our "Voter ID" as well (you only need your real ID in case you've lost your voter slip).

But letting everyone vote just seems... weird. I'd think that you'd need to at the very minimum have a residence in the country and be of legal age.

12. Amen RumTumTugger, Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Automatic voter registration seems like a fine idea to me. Its what we have in our country. We all get sent a voting slip by mail, we're free to use it or not, it acts as our "Voter ID" as well (you only need your real ID in case you've lost your voter slip).

But letting everyone vote just seems... weird. I'd think that you'd need to at the very minimum have a residence in the country and be of legal age.
    I don't know where you've been or what you've been doing, but you're making WAY too much sense to be posting on Tweb.

14. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.