Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Let's just let ANYBODY vote!

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    Yup. My first presidential election I knew a whole lot of people who voted for Jimmy Carter even though they despised him or thought he was a so-so governor at best solely because he was a Southerner or from Georgia.
    I remember people voting for him simply because he was "a borned again Christian" [sic]

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    I don't know how true it is but there were supposedly a lot of women who voted for JFK primarily because they loved his hair

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue06 View Post
    I don't know how true it is but there were supposedly a lot of women who voted for JFK primarily because they loved his hair
    And his cute little children - they wanted chilluns in the WH!

1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And that he and Jackie were such a cute couple.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" -- starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    And he had a funny accent.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Unfortunately, yes. Way too many people cast their vote for ignorant or frivolous (i.e., gotta vote for the woman because woman or man because man) reasons to make it likely that the best person will win. It would be nice if there were an impartial way of weeding out those votes, but there isn't.
    Can't forget how Bill Clinton's Secretary of State, Madeleine Albright, even declared that women who don't support Hillary are earning "a special place in Hell."

7. Amen RumTumTugger amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonhard View Post
    Practicality comes first of course, but it seems a good thing to work towards none the less. Seems like it would force jurisdictions to get things sorted out that should have been sorted out to begin with.
    Yeah, but that's grossly unfair to the jurisdictions - a small, poor county can't upgrade readily to new hardware and software when tech outpaces them. Also, you don't want all records too easily accessible - you need to allow time for a human to pull the plug on sealed records, especially in cases of domestic abuse or other potential threats. Seal orders in County A may not reach County Z in another state - but if the records are already available, it's a window of opportunity. There are a lot of advantages to having localized government - but in a highly mobile society, we have to be careful of some of the disadvantages.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy View Post
    ...some of their voters, if they have to in order to get re-elected, if they care about being re-elected.
    Good way to lose an incumbent advantage, that. Unlike a proportional system, there's incentive to aid both your base and those who voted against - if you pander too strongly to the base you lose the advantage of being an incumbent unless you are in a district that is skewed to heck - and even then, one wrong headline can hurt you badly come primary season.

Also, if you really represent selectively, you will almost certainly cross the line to get yourself censored or even impeached.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    Good way to lose an incumbent advantage, that. Unlike a proportional system, there's incentive to aid both your base and those who voted against - if you pander too strongly to the base you lose the advantage of being an incumbent unless you are in a district that is skewed to heck - and even then, one wrong headline can hurt you badly come primary season.

Also, if you really represent selectively, you will almost certainly cross the line to get yourself censored or even impeached.
    I don't think anything Roy said indicated that a politician would "pander too strongly to the base".... politicians have opposition research staff, pollsters, focus groups.... many of them will do whatever it takes to pander to whoever is required to keep their butts in office.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I don't think anything Roy said indicated that a politician would "pander too strongly to the base".... politicians have opposition research staff, pollsters, focus groups.... many of them will do whatever it takes to pander to whoever is required to keep their butts in office.
    It sounded to me that he was saying representatives only really represent those who voted for them.