Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harvard Study: Christianity Is Not Shrinking, But Growing Stronger In The US.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    EGGzackly.... and there is no safe space in the US of A.
    Maybe they could all move to Canada?
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
      Maybe they could all move to Canada?
      Canada has immigration laws, no? But, then again, these might be their kind of people!

(Except for mossy, who's a sojourner in that foreign land)
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Jim, it doesn't say that 2/3 say it is hogwash! Rasmussen poll:

74% Believe Jesus Was Son of God

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...was_son_of_god
        I suggest that you all go back and read it again. It says that 1/3 of americans believe the bible is the word of god, and that means that 2/3's believe that it is not the word of god, or in other words that it is hogwash.
        Last edited by JimL; 07-10-2018, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
          I suggest that you all go back and read it again. It says that 1/3 of americans believe the bible is the word of god, and that means that 2/3's believe that it is not the word of god, or in other words that it is hogwash.
          Yes, it does say that, Jim - and you can do math better than that - if 74% are believing that Christ is indeed the Son of God then it does NOT stand to reason that 2/3's think that the Bible is hogwash.

Had you read closer you'd have noticed that the exact quote has a wording issue:

One-third of Americans hold that the Bible is the actual word of God.
          I'm not sure I'd have answered yes to that - not because I doubt Scripture but because I understand Scripture to be the inspired word of God, not His direct dictation, which is what 'actual' implies to me.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            Canada has immigration laws, no? But, then again, these might be their kind of people!

(Except for mossy, who's a sojourner in that foreign land)
            Oh, yes, we have immigration laws. Unless you are claiming asylum from big bad wolf Trump, and cross the border illegally in Quebec, and then we actually help you across the border, carry your bags and children, tell you that you're breaking the law, and then try to assimilate you into the population.

I can't wait until I am not a sojourner here anymore.

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

Originally posted by mossrose View Post
              Oh, yes, we have immigration laws. Unless you are claiming asylum from big bad wolf Trump, and cross the border illegally in Quebec, and then we actually help you across the border, carry your bags and children, tell you that you're breaking the law, and then try to assimilate you into the population.

I can't wait until I am not a sojourner here anymore.
              I'm still working on the idea of people VOLUNTARILY going to Canada - don't they know it snows up there?!
              "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Yet Jim, 70% believe that Christ is the Son of God? If you look at the actual study, 30% believe it is the literal word of God, about 40% believe it is inspired but not necessarily literal. That gets us to the 70%. So 2/3 don't believe it is bunk.

See figure 4:https://www.sociologicalscience.com/...4_686to700.pdf
                Last edited by seer; 07-10-2018, 05:55 PM.
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

Yet Jim, 70% believe that Christ is the Son of God? If you look at the actual study, 30% believe it is the literal word of God, about 40% believe it is inspired but not necessarily literal. That gets us to the 70%. So 2/3 don't believe it is bunk.

The actual authors of the article disagree with the Federalists spin on it seer. Christianity is on the decline. The only ones holding steady are the real zealots.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/f...-the-opposite/
                  Last edited by JimL; 07-10-2018, 07:02 PM.

Comment

The actual authors of the article disagree with the Federalists spin on it seer. Christianity is on the decline. The only ones holding steady are the real zealots.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/f...-the-opposite/
                    Jim, my last link was not from the Federalist, it was a link to the actual Harvard study. So no, two thirds of the country don't think the Bible is bunk. Again, 30% believe it is the literal word of God, about 40% believe it is inspired but not necessarily literal.

Comment

Jim, my last link was not from the Federalist, it was a link to the actual Harvard study. So no, two thirds of the country don't think the Bible is bunk. Again, 30% believe it is the literal word of God, about 40% believe it is inspired but not necessarily literal.
                      Jim sort of has a point. The thrust of the article appears to be that the intensity of Christianity in America is increasing. In other words, the number of devout Christians is increasing, while the group consisting of less devout Christians is being increasingly lost to either devout Christianity or no religious affiliation - with more of them going to the latter rather than the former.

It seems that, in religion as in politics, there is less and less room for middle ground.
                      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                      sigpic
                      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Come on, now - you're doing that "facts" thingie. That's like messing with Sasquatch.
                        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Hence starlight's characterization of America as "weirdly religious."
                          In some ways I agree. The percentage of fundamentalists rejecting evolution and a universe billions of years old is higher than any other developed country in the world.
                          Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                          Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                          But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Jim, it doesn't say that 2/3 say it is hogwash! Rasmussen poll:

74% Believe Jesus Was Son of God

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...was_son_of_god
                            I believe you have misinterpreted JimL. He is referring to the fundamentalists who believe that the Bible is the literal actual word of God. This is not comparable to those who are Christian and believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
                            Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
                            Hotspur: Why, so can I, or so can any man;
                            But will they come when you do call for them? Shakespeare’s Henry IV, Part 1, Act III:

go with the flow the river knows . . .

Frank

I do not know, therefore everything is in pencil.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Jim sort of has a point. The thrust of the article appears to be that the intensity of Christianity in America is increasing. In other words, the number of devout Christians is increasing, while the group consisting of less devout Christians is being increasingly lost to either devout Christianity or no religious affiliation - with more of them going to the latter rather than the former.

It seems that, in religion as in politics, there is less and less room for middle ground.
                              That is correct, we zealots (as Jim calls us) have remained steady, or increased. Liberal churches are bleeding members. My main point is about Jim's claim that two thirds of Americans think the Bible is bunk. That is just false, even the 40% of liberal Christians left think the Bible is inspired, though not always literal. Which tracks with the poll I linked where 70% of Americans think that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
                                In some ways I agree. The percentage of fundamentalists rejecting evolution and a universe billions of years old is higher than any other developed country in the world.
                                We happen to be the most charitable in the world, too, so maybe you can overlook our ignorance.

Comment