Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Harvard Study: Christianity Is Not Shrinking, But Growing Stronger In The US.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    Skeptics have been saying that about Christianity ever since Jesus rose from the dead. It's time to get a new line!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    And they were right, but like all myths/religions, it has always taken many ages for people to figure it out. A thousand years from now people will be looking at christians in the same way that christians today look at the those who used to believe in Zeus.
    According to a 2011 Pew Research Center study there were roughly 2.19 billion Christians worldwide and another Pew study in 2015 predicts that number will reach 3 billion in 2050.

I wouldn't hold your breath there jimmy.

I'm always still in trouble again

You're by far the worst poster on TWeb -- starlight

2. Amen Teallaura amen'd this post.
    Faith
    Atheist
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    God is the Creator of the Universe - He exists. Your opinion is nothing more than that - opinion, and not a well supported one. You are simply asserting things - things that aren't actually true.
    This is your opinion, nothing more than that, opinion. You are simply asserting things - things that aren't actually true.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

4. Amen JimL, Charles, Roy amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teallaura View Post
    History doesn't bear this out at all. The Greco-Roman pantheon collapsed extremely quickly given its previous longevity - which is true of just about all ancient pantheons that were superseded by Christianity and other monotheisms. Christianity, however, has gone through waxes and wanes before - yet it persists and even grows back. See modern Russia and China as well as Victorian England. Predictions of the end of religion and Christianity in particular have never borne out. Even massive killings have never successfully eliminated Christian faith from a nation. If it's as vulnerable as you believe, where's the proof? Why hasn't it ended altogether anywhere on Earth?
    Well of course christianity persists, but it will eventually go the way of all the other preceding myths from out of which it evolved. I'm not signalling Christianity out here though, all religions will eventially suffer the same fate, a fact that I'm sure you'd probably agree with, excepting for the one that you happen to believe in, of course.
    Last edited by JimL; 07-13-2018 at 03:33 PM.

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    A thousand years from now people will be looking at christians in the same way that christians today look at the those who used to believe in Zeus.
    You really have no idea how ignorant this statement is, do you?

I bet you can't describe the critical difference between Christianity and other religions, and why Christianity has proven so resilient despite suffering periods of intense persecution.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimL View Post
    Well of course christianity persists, but it will eventually go the way of all the other preceding myths from out of which it evolved.
    You keep telling yourself that, Jim.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

8. Amen Cerebrum123 amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    You really have no idea how ignorant this statement is, do you?

I bet you can't describe the critical difference between Christianity and other religions, and why Christianity has proven so resilient despite suffering periods of intense persecution.
    I'll bet you can't describe the key similarities between the myths and crhristianity.

10. Amen Charles amen'd this post.
    tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    You keep telling yourself that, Jim.
    Ok.

tWebber
    Faith
    Agnostic
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Nietzshe is dead.

- God
    Nietzsche is not dead. And there may even be a god too.

Charles

Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    Nietzsche is not dead. And there may even be a god too.

Charles
    Gah. I thought I'd put the 'c' in there.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Faith
    Christian
    Amen (Given)
    Amen (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JimLamebrain View Post
    I'll bet you can't describe the key similarities between the myths and crhristianity.
    You're no doubt referring to superficial similarities and attributing to them more significance than is warranted. But I'm thinking of one critical difference that separates Christianity from other religions. Something that makes it unique. See if you can figure it out.
    Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
    But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
    Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra