Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harvard Study: Christianity Is Not Shrinking, But Growing Stronger In The US.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by seer View Post
    My main point is about Jim's claim that two thirds of Americans think the Bible is bunk. That is just false, even the 40% of liberal Christians left think the Bible is inspired, though not always literal. Which tracks with the poll I linked where 70% of Americans think that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
    Yes, Jim is on rather less firm ground there.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
    sigpic
    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
      In some ways I agree. The percentage of fundamentalists rejecting evolution and a universe billions of years old is higher than any other developed country in the world.
      And they, the fundamentalists, are of course those christians as a group who, according to the authors of the study, are holding strong to their faith.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        And they, the fundamentalists, are of course those christians as a group who, according to the authors of the study, are holding strong to their faith.
        You're on shaky ground here. link

I've highlighted the fundamentalists for you:
        fundies.JPG

That's not close to covering the 1/3 or so devout Christians, Jim.
        Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
        sigpic
        I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by shunyadragon View Post
          I believe you have misinterpreted JimL. He is referring to the fundamentalists who believe that the Bible is the literal actual word of God. This is not comparable to those who are Christian and believe Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
          No, Jim's math does not work that way. Jim's assertion was that 2/3rds of Americans deemed it 'hogwash' - and the numbers do not bear that out at all.
          "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            You're on shaky ground here. link

I've highlighted the fundamentalists for you:
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]28802[/ATTACH]

That's not close to covering the 1/3 or so devout Christians, Jim.
            Wow, this is even more interesting...

Same Source:

Belief in God among nothing in particulars.jpg

Their 'nothing in particular' category makes up 15.8% of 'religious nones' (unaffiliated) which includes atheist/agnostic. This is the larges segment of the category and look how it actually breaks down.
            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Let's just say that the rumors of the death of Christianity have been greatly exaggerated.
              Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
              But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
              Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                Let's just say that the rumors of the death of Christianity have been greatly exaggerated.
                And God can do wonders, even with a small remnant...
                Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

So I shouldn't quit my day job?

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

No one suggested it was dead, only that it is slowly dying the way that all myths eventually do.
                    Last edited by JimL; 07-11-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

No one suggested it was dead, only that it is slowly dying the way that all myths eventually do.
                      The polls in question don't support that at all, you realize.

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                        Interesting!
                        Apart from publishing it I’m not sure what role Harvard University had in this study. Its author, Glenn T. Stanton, is the director of Family Formation Studies at Focus on the Family and is clearly concerned with putting the most positive spin possible on Christianity in USA.

OTOH: The Pew Research Center has reached quite different conclusions:

“It finds that the percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years, from 78.4% in an equally massive Pew Research survey in 2007 to 70.6% in 2014. Over the same period, the percentage of Americans who are religiously unaffiliated – describing themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” – has jumped more than six points, from 16.1% to 22.8%.”

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/a...ous-landscape/
                        “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                          Focus on the Family
                          That is concerning, but to argue that the study is flawed because of that is specious reasoning. Focus on the Family has a very black history of shoddy research so I don't blame you though.

Comment

Nietzshe is dead.

- God

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                              Nietzshe is dead.

- God
                              Well, we are not necessarily speaking of god here, we are talking about the study concerning the decline of christianity, so whether god exists or not is irrelevant.

Comment

Originally posted by JimLamebrain View Post
                                Skeptics have been saying that about Christianity ever since Jesus rose from the dead. It's time to get a new line!
                                Some may call me foolish, and some may call me odd
                                But I'd rather be a fool in the eyes of man
                                Than a fool in the eyes of God

From "Fools Gold" by Petra

Comment