Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Harvard Study: Christianity Is Not Shrinking, But Growing Stronger In The US.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
    The gospels far and away meet the evidentiary standards of modern court rooms - multiple, credible eye witnesses with familiarity with the Subject, Multiple sightings over an extended period of time by multiple sources. Corollary events that cannot be explained without the primary event - Perry Mason would love a case this easy!
    The gospels are not eyewitness accounts they are hearsay accounts. They are based upon oral tradition, which was more than likely highly embellished, and not recorded until many decades after the purported events. There is no way of authenticating any of them and no one knows who actually wrote them. There is no good reason to think that any of the alleged the miraculous events recorded in the gospels are literally true.

The truth is, you don't want to believe - that's up to you. But you are making a mistake trying to pass off personal doubt for reasoned skepticism.
    Nonsense! There is no substantive evidence in which to believe.
    “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
      And when something is attested as a fact of history by multiple credible witnesses then only a fool would deny it. See Simon Greenleaf's "The Testimony of the Evangelists".
      I think it would be interesting of you could provide a little more than a claim and a reference to a book. Can you make an actual argument in favour of the case? I would be interested in seeing in.
      "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
        I think it would be interesting of you could provide a little more than a claim and a reference to a book. Can you make an actual argument in favour of the case? I would be interested in seeing in.
        I found the book here within 2 minutes. Maybe you need to learn how to look instead of letting others look for you.
        "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
        GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
          I found the book here within 2 minutes. Maybe you need to learn how to look instead of letting others look for you.
          That is called argument by weblink. I can no doubt find a book claiming the opposite. What I was asking for was for MM to explain his view and provide some reason for agreeing with him, giving the credible sources and so on. That is why I wrote: "Can you make an actual argument in favour of the case?"
          "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Charles View Post
            That is called argument by weblink.
            No, it's not. MM made an assertion, and backed it up with reference to a book which articulates the case better than he can.
            I can no doubt find a book claiming the opposite. What I was asking for was for MM to explain his view and provide some reason for agreeing with him, giving the credible sources and so on. That is why I wrote: "Can you make an actual argument in favour of the case?"
            And MM doubtless referred to the book rather than making an extended argument because he suspected you're not really interested in the argument per se, but are looking for something to tear apart.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              My point is that Christianity is the only religion that rests entirely on a single, mundane fact of history.
              It isn't. Mormonism rests on the single mundane fact that Joe Smith was (not) given golden plates by an angel. There are probably others too.
              Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
              MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by seer View Post
                That is correct, we zealots (as Jim calls us) have remained steady, or increased. Liberal churches are bleeding members. My main point is about Jim's claim that two thirds of Americans think the Bible is bunk. That is just false, even the 40% of liberal Christians left think the Bible is inspired, though not always literal. Which tracks with the poll I linked where 70% of Americans think that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
                The number of people who literally take all of the Bible... um... literally... is vanishingly small.
                Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

"Everybody is somebody's heretic."

Social Justice is usually the opposite of actual justice.

Proud member of the this space left blank community.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Justice for Ashli Babbitt!

Justice for Matthew Perna!

Arrest Ray Epps and his Fed bosses!

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                  The actual authors of the article disagree with the Federalists spin on it seer. Christianity is on the decline. The only ones holding steady are the real zealots.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/f...-the-opposite/
                  WAPO paywall.
                  Geislerminian Antinomian Kenotic Charispneumaticostal Gender Mutualist-Egalitarian.

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Would-be Grand Vizier of the Padishah Maxi-Super-Ultra-Hyper-Mega-MAGA King Trumpius Rex.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                    Which means we're really way ahead!
                    So... The last will be first?

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

I believe the Bible is literally true*.

*In all the parts that are supposed to be literal....
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Looking through just a few of the items on the survey, I'd probably have gotten frustrated and not completed it.

I believe Scripture is inspired and authoritative communication from God. I'm Sola Scriptura. (In passing, I think the choice of some to characterize Anglicans and Methodists as "Prima Scriptura" is silly. AFAICT, neither -- especially the Methodists -- consider Reason, Tradition, or Experience to be inspired and infallible; they are tools with which to interpret and apply Scripture. Virtually no one considers Scripture to stand "solo" with no need even for, e.g., alternate translations for comparison.) However, I'm not comfortable with their repeated use of the word, "literal." They would need to clarify very precisely whether they intend "literal word of God" to mean "every word of Scripture is literally God's word for all times and all places."

Beige Federalist.

Nationalist Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by NorrinRadd View Post
                          The number of people who literally take all of the Bible... um... literally... is vanishingly small.
                          Right, when scripture says that Christ is the gate - I don't think he is a literal wood gate.
                          Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

Right, when scripture says that Christ is the gate - I don't think he is a literal wood gate.
                            Just like somebody refers to sunrise, and doesn't actually mean that the sun moves relative to the earth - but that the earth rotates to a point where 'line of sight' allows the sun to be seen in the morning. It's just MUCH easier to say "sunrise".
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                              It's just MUCH easier to say "sunrise".
                              The fact that you still call it "sunrise" just proves that you are anti-science!
                              Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

The fact that you still call it "sunrise" just proves that you are anti-science!
                                I just make sure not to wander too close to the edge of the earth.
                                The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment