Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And the Winner is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
    I think the fact that liberals hate this. nomination is an excellent sign.
    yep...
    Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbnueb2OI4o&t=3s

Comment

How can the libs stop such an excellent Judge?

A Liberal’s Case for Brett Kavanaugh

By Akhil Reed Amar

Mr. Amar is a professor at Yale Law School.

The nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to be the next Supreme Court justice is President Trump’s finest hour, his classiest move. Last week the president promised to select “someone with impeccable credentials, great intellect, unbiased judgment, and deep reverence for the laws and Constitution of the United States.” In picking Judge Kavanaugh, he has done just that.

In 2016, I strongly supported Hillary Clinton for president as well as President Barack Obama’s nominee for the Supreme Court, Judge Merrick Garland. But today, with the exception of the current justices and Judge Garland, it is hard to name anyone with judicial credentials as strong as those of Judge Kavanaugh. He sits on the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit (the most influential circuit court) and commands wide and deep respect among scholars, lawyers and jurists....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/09/o...urt-trump.html
      Atheism is the cult of death, the death of hope. The universe is doomed, you are doomed, the only thing that remains is to await your execution...

Comment

liberals won't let facts get in the way of political bias.

Comment

... a giant leap for Christofascism.
          “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
          “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
          “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post

you won't be saying that when we have you on the racks in the Supreme Court dungeon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              I think the fact that liberals hate this. nomination is an excellent sign.
              No real opinion on the man himself, mainly because I've not looked into where he is on the issues. If he believes the president of the US is above the law, that is a BIG problem. We don't need someone that will pander to DT but rather who will interpret the constitution intelligently and faithfully, not with an eye towards creating precedent in favor of personal opinion or some specific ideology. We need some common sense on the court, we don't need it continuing to the left of left. That said, we do not need Trumpish White nationalist party ism ... err 'conservatism' either. Of the two (left of left, DT pandering), I would say Trumpish White Nationalism ... err 'conservatism' is in fact the worse of two evils.

However, it is hard when asked to chose between left leaning policies that amount to communism and tyranny and right leaning policies that tend toward white nationaliam and which curry favor with the neo-Nazis. There are not many good choices left out there.

Jim
              My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
                Not a winner yet, only been nominated. I think Trump nominated him because Kavanaugh doesn't believe that a President should be subject to investigation or to be criminally indicted while in office. In other words, as usual, it's all about Trump. Anyway, Kavanaugh apparently has a long paper trail and Democrats will now use that to drag this confirmation process on for a long time, possibly right on up to election time. Not a done deal!
                I think he picked him because of those on his list he's probably the one that Collins and Murkowski will have the least objections to. This seems to be the case, at least with Collins, who in her statement reacting to the nomination started out by saying "Judge Kavanaugh has impressive credentials and extensive experience, having served more than a decade on the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals."

Their big issue has been whether he would be inclined to overturn Roe and during his confirmation to the Court of Appeals said it was "binding precedent of the court" and "I would follow Roe v. Wade faithfully and fully." Of course he was talking about as an Appeals Court judge who aren't supposed to be trying to overturn law and for who precedent is binding. That is not the case for a SCOTUS.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                  No real opinion on the man himself, mainly because I've not looked into where he is on the issues. If he believes the president of the US is above the law, that is a BIG problem. We don't need someone that will pander to DT but rather who will interpret the constitution intelligently and faithfully, not with an eye towards creating precedent in favor of personal opinion or some specific ideology. We need some common sense on the court, we don't need it continuing to the left of left. That said, we do not need Trumpish White nationalist party ism ... err 'conservatism' either. Of the two (left of left, DT pandering), I would say Trumpish White Nationalism ... err 'conservatism' is in fact the worse of two evils.

However, it is hard when asked to chose between left leaning policies that amount to communism and tyranny and right leaning policies that tend toward white nationaliam and which curry favor with the neo-Nazis. There are not many good choices left out there.

Jim
                  It isn't whether a president is "above the law" but rather what is the proper course of action. Most of those who take the Constitution seriously rather than seeing it as an impediment to enacting whatever they want realize that the only way to deal with a (dare I say it?) rogue president is impeachment. Once removed from office I think he can be handled normally.

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
                  "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
                  "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                    you won't be saying that when we have you on the racks in the Supreme Court dungeon.
                    Where is Torquemada when you need him!

Comment

That's because the whole group of them were okayed by the Federalist Society, and we all know what that means. Well, I guess rogue doesn't know.
                      It means they had a generic fill-in-the-blank response waiting rather than bothering to deal with the specific nominee. They aren't clones holding identical views. Hard to take such responses seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                        Trump couldn't care less about the abortion issue, apart from pandering to his Evangelical base. In fact, given his sexual promiscuity it wouldn't be surprising if some of his "conquests" had aborted Trump progeny over the years. Kavanaugh was the only realistic choice for Trump, because he is the only judge on the shortlist that believes a president should be immune from investigation.
                        Trump actually held some pretty radical views on abortion having actually left the Republican party and becoming a Democrat over the former's opposition to partial birth abortion.

Comment

Not a winner yet, only been nominated. I think Trump nominated him because Kavanaugh doesn't believe that a President should be subject to investigation or to be criminally indicted while in office. In other words, as usual, it's all about Trump. Anyway, Kavanaugh apparently has a long paper trail and Democrats will now use that to drag this confirmation process on for a long time, possibly right on up to election time. Not a done deal!
                          Trump chose wisely - the Democrats will make total fools of themselves trying to fight this, but they will lose.
                          The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
                            Trump couldn't care less about the abortion issue...
                            Did you actually get a diploma or certificate at that mind reading school? You really should demand your money be refunded.
                            The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                              Bless yer heart.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post

Jim
                                It appears so far that this nominee has far more personal integrity than to pander to Trump or anybody else. So far, he looks like the real deal.

Comment