Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

And the Winner is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
    Trump chose wisely - the Democrats will make total fools of themselves trying to fight this, but they will lose.
    Unlike your typical Republican politician who would be bowing and scraping trying to get the left including the MSM to "like" him (doesn't work) Trump is constantly needling them and getting them to drop their masks and expose themselves as being violently hate-filled frothing radicals for everyone to see.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by Tassman View Post
      ...he is the only judge on the shortlist that believes a president should be immune from investigation.
      Got a cite for that?
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by JimL View Post
        That's because the whole group of them were okayed by the Federalist Society, and we all know what that means. Well, I guess rogue doesn't know.
        Do you know anything at all about the Federalist Society, Jim, other than what you're getting from the liberal echo chamber talking points?
        The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
          I haven't been able to confirm it but on the way home tonight I heard that the group that organized the Women's March released their official statement on Kavanaugh's nomination but where his name should be was instead "xxx" indicating that the response was already written but forgot to fill in the name and it didn't matter who was nominated they were going to say the same thing about them.

Reminds me of this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28779[/ATTACH]

ETA: [ATTACH=CONFIG]28780[/ATTACH] to Drudge: ABC's Nightline Blasts 'Controversial' Nominee Before He’s Even Announced!
          First confirmation

They later updated it

Still pushing the myth exposed by Nathanson years ago as a deliberate lie[1] although they're not claiming "millions" like Terry McAuliffe is

And another one where they simply put in another name to a pre-written generic rant (apparently thought it was gonna be Barrett since Kavanaugh is a "she")

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

Bernard Nathanson, co-founder in 1969 of the National Association for the Repeal of Abortion Laws (NARAL) and one time director of New York City’s Center for Reproductive and Sexual Health (who later found God and became a very vocal Pro-Life supporter) exposed how the pro-abortion movement deliberately fabricated statistics concerning the number of deaths linked to illegal abortions in order to garner support for legalizing abortion. He confessed that he and his fellow travelers constantly fed the media the lie that 10,000 women a year died as a result of botched illegal abortion when in fact it was but a tiny fraction of that (in 1972, the year prior to Roe v. Wade, 28 deaths were reported from illegal abortions). The MSM dutifully and uncritically regurgitated these numbers.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
          "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
          "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Got a cite for that?
            There was a similar assertion in the WaPo Express this morning, so this isn't entirely out of thin air (though that assertion was also not supported).
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
              Teallaura was referring to the nomination, Jim. In other words, YES, he won the nomination.
              Well, if you want to get silly about it, he didn't run, so he didn't win, he was selected. He doesn't win until and unless he is confirmed. Duh!
              I'll wait for backup in 5,4,3,2,1.....
              Sheesh, you people must never look outside of the box you're in do you? Always need to be spoon fed. It's no wonder our democracy is at risk!
              I have no doubt they'll attempt to do so. Gotta love the Democrats' hypocritical labeling of Republicans as "The party of no" when the shoe's on the other foot.
              This close to an election the people should have a say. Do you remember the M. Garland case, OBP? It's you people who are the hypocrites. And don't give me the right wing talking point crap about that being a presidential election as opposed to the midterms, it was about the people having a say concerning who should be confirmed, not about who the president nominates.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                There was a similar assertion in the WaPo Express this morning, so this isn't entirely out of thin air (though that assertion was also not supported).
                Yeah, I've seen it tossed around, but never with attribution or citation.

Comment

Sheesh, you people must never look outside of the box you're in do you? Always need to be spoon fed. It's no wonder our democracy is at risk!
                  This was adorable. Gave me a good laugh this morning. Thanks, Jim!

Comment

Trump chose wisely - the Democrats will make total fools of themselves trying to fight this, but they will lose.
                    Of course he chose wisely, wisely when it comes to protecting himself from prosecution. He also chose a true conservative, but so what, they were all true conservatives thoroughly vetted by the Federalist society and you would be all elated and saying that he chose wisely no matter which one he picked.

Comment

Not a winner yet, only been nominated. I think Trump nominated him because Kavanaugh doesn't believe that a President should be subject to investigation or to be criminally indicted while in office. In other words, as usual, it's all about Trump. Anyway, Kavanaugh apparently has a long paper trail and Democrats will now use that to drag this confirmation process on for a long time, possibly right on up to election time. Not a done deal!
                      OPB already got this - he did win the nomination.

Yeah, the disconnect on presidential investigations is an issue - but frankly, it rankles me more than it will the majority of folks. And I'm not all that rankled.

There's no way in heck for the Democrats to actually drag this out - they killed that process themselves when they did away with the filibuster. I expect Kavanaugh will be confirmed easily enough - and if not, Barrett will be next year. 'Dragging it out' is a very bad idea politically right now - too many Democrat seats are vulnerable. Even some that aren't may go with Kavanaugh (Jones is an idiot if he votes against).
                      "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

"Forgiveness is the way of love." Gary Chapman

My Personal Blog

My Novella blog (Current Novella Begins on 7/25/14)

Quill Sword

Comment

Of course he chose wisely, wisely when it comes to protecting himself from prosecution.
                        Jim, it's silly to think that ONE MEMBER of SCOTUS could have any real impact on any prosecution of Trump. Things like this don't come down to SCOTUS decisions, they come down to popular opinion and political capital.

He also chose a true conservative, but so what, they were all true conservatives thoroughly vetted by the Federalist society and you would be all elated and saying that he chose wisely no matter which one he picked.
                        Yes, Jim, he promised to nominate true conservatives, and he did. Promises kept. I don't generally get "all elated" with things like this, but I'll gladly admit that, thus far, I'm quite pleased with his SCOTUS nominees.

Comment

Originally posted by Teallaura View Post
                          OPB already got this - he did win the nomination.
                          Unless, of course, like Jim is trying to do -- you go super literal. Part of it, I think, is that Jim simply has no sense of humor in this kind of thing.... this has to be TERRIBLY depressing that SCOTUS is going just like Trump promised.

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
                            No real opinion on the man himself, mainly because I've not looked into where he is on the issues. If he believes the president of the US is above the law, that is a BIG problem. We don't need someone that will pander to DT but rather who will interpret the constitution intelligently and faithfully, not with an eye towards creating precedent in favor of personal opinion or some specific ideology. We need some common sense on the court, we don't need it continuing to the left of left. That said, we do not need Trumpish White nationalist party ism ... err 'conservatism' either. Of the two (left of left, DT pandering), I would say Trumpish White Nationalism ... err 'conservatism' is in fact the worse of two evils.

However, it is hard when asked to chose between left leaning policies that amount to communism and tyranny and right leaning policies that tend toward white nationaliam and which curry favor with the neo-Nazis. There are not many good choices left out there.

Jim
                            Um, he worked with Ken Starr - I suspect (haven't read anything yet) his argument is political, not judicial - and as I did read, he argued that impeachment was available for egregious acts. I think - not positive - that he's argued that Congressional investigations of trivial matters are more of a problem than the unpaid parking tickets or whatever.
                            "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment

Well, if you want to get silly about it, he didn't run, so he didn't win, he was selected. He doesn't win until and unless he is confirmed. Duh!
                              I'm not "getting silly about it" - I'm observing the intent of Teallaura's thread title. I agree, he's not confirmed yet.
                              That is indeed one way to look at it. It's not correct, however.
                              This close to an election the people should have a say. Do you remember the M. Garland case, OBP? It's you people who are the hypocrites. And don't give me the right wing talking point crap about that being a presidential election as opposed to the midterms, it was about the people having a say concerning who should be confirmed, not about who the president nominates.
                              I don't go by talking points, Jim. The Garland case was explicitly about the president doing the nominations, not the confirmation process, despite your protestations otherwise:
                              Source: CNBC

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Wednesday the Senate will not consider President Barack Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to the Supreme Court.
                              Obama did it "not with the intent of seeing the nominee confirmed, but in order to politicize it for the purpose of the election," the Kentucky Republican said.
                              He also said the Senate will "revisit" the matter when the next president nominates someone, adding that the people should have a say in who fills the currently vacant seat. "The American people may well elect a president who decides to nominate Judge Garland for Senate consideration. The next president may also nominate somebody very different," McConnell said.

© Copyright Original Source

link
                              Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                              sigpic
                              I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Um, Jim, why would you decide to be pedantic about something this trivial? It makes you look unreasonable when you dig in your heels on non-critical issues.

And I can call it a 'win' if I want to, so nyahh!

My Personal Blog

Quill Sword

Comment