Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Flying Trains?

  1. #11
    tWebber firstfloor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    invalid value
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,228
    Amen (Given)
    13
    Amen (Received)
    296
    Too Thunderbirdsey, not schnechty.
    “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
    “You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” ― Anne Lamott
    “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell

  2. #12
    Must...have...caffeine One Bad Pig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Inside the beltway
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17,713
    Amen (Given)
    5275
    Amen (Received)
    10032
    Quote Originally Posted by firstfloor View Post
    Too Thunderbirdsey, not schnechty.
    Needs to be a little less Edsel, IMO.
    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

    Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio

    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

  3. #13
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43,640
    Amen (Given)
    9422
    Amen (Received)
    21482
    Quote Originally Posted by One Bad Pig View Post
    Maglev trains would be very fast, and would undoubtedly be more efficient than taking to the air. They're also far from cheap to install.
    I remember some guy going on about how they won't be practical until we figure out cold fusion.

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  4. #14
    tWebber Leonhard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Denmark - Jutland
    Faith
    Catholic
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,830
    Amen (Given)
    888
    Amen (Received)
    2653
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I remember some guy going on about how they won't be practical until we figure out cold fusion.
    Mag-lev technology has had a lot of teething issues being developed and deployed. Its not as easy a technology to get working as wheels on rails. Its a much more complex upfront investment into materials and people capable of building it, which in my countries that started trying to make this didn't exist at the time they started, so they had develop all that too.

    However, mag-lev, even though it has higher upfront costs might have lower total cost of ownership for certain high-speed applications. In Japan for instance it takes a work force of over ten thousand people to maintain the rails that their Bullet Train goes along. Steel against steel wear from the wheel-rail contact at 200mph introduces a lot of maintainance need. However mag-lev doesn't have the same issue.

    So I know Japan is working towards replacing several of their Shinkansen lines with mag-lev trains, but it hasn't been easy. They're doing it hoping to save money down the line, but if they fail at that they'll still have a faster and more futuristic train.

    Sometimes national pride is worth paying money for.

  5. #15
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,364
    Amen (Given)
    3884
    Amen (Received)
    19026
    I rode the train system over here in Bavaria. Very cheap and efficient. We took a regular train to Munich, went to a subway in the same station, took the subway near the Tollwood fest we were going to, then got on a bus and went the rest of the way. All with one Bavarian Travel pass. It was like 20 Euros for the first person and then 5 Euros for each additional passenger and is good for any public transportation in Bavaria for 24 hours. The trains are pretty durn fast too. And no waiting around like in an airport. You just show up on time, get on the train and go. They stop for about 5 minutes tops so you better be ready to board.

  6. #16
    See, the Thing is... Cow Poke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    The Republic of Texas
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    43,640
    Amen (Given)
    9422
    Amen (Received)
    21482
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    I rode the train system over here in Bavaria. Very cheap and efficient. We took a regular train to Munich, went to a subway in the same station, took the subway near the Tollwood fest we were going to, then got on a bus and went the rest of the way. All with one Bavarian Travel pass. It was like 20 Euros for the first person and then 5 Euros for each additional passenger and is good for any public transportation in Bavaria for 24 hours. The trains are pretty durn fast too. And no waiting around like in an airport. You just show up on time, get on the train and go. They stop for about 5 minutes tops so you better be ready to board.
    I've heard things, particularly in Bavaria, are clean and neat. True? Like Disney, somebody always picking up, sweeping, cleaning....

    1 Tim 2:5 For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus.

  7. #17
    Troll Magnet Sparko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Faith
    Christian
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    41,364
    Amen (Given)
    3884
    Amen (Received)
    19026
    Quote Originally Posted by Cow Poke View Post
    I've heard things, particularly in Bavaria, are clean and neat. True? Like Disney, somebody always picking up, sweeping, cleaning....

    the trains were clean but there was a lot of graffiti on the walls outside of the local station.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •