• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying Trains?

I thought this was cool....

Flying Trains Could Be Coming Your Way

Source: Bloomberg

(Bloomberg) -- It sounds like something Q, the tech guy in James Bond movies, would create: A plane that lands on a runway, shrugs its wings off, turns into a train and rolls on to rails to drop you off at your local station.

That’s what a French entrepreneur, who’s made millions by connecting engineers with industrial groups, is pitching to Boeing Co. and others. "Link & Fly" is Akka Technologies’s new flagship aircraft design, with wings that come off to hasten turnover at airports and make boarding easier and closer to passengers’ homes.

“After cars go electric and autonomous, the next big disruption will be in airplanes,” Akka’s Chief Executive Officer Maurice Ricci said in an interview in Paris. Boeing is among prime customer targets for Akka, as it seeks to limit its dependence on the likes of Airbus SE and Renault SA in Europe.

With Akka’s futuristic concept, passengers would board a train-like tube at a neighborhood station and have their retinas scanned for security during the ride to the airport. Wings would then be attached to the pod for take-off. The company has showcased the idea in a 3D mock-up video, gathering interest from potential customers in Asia, Ricci said, without naming any company.

© Copyright Original Source

The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

smartybritches
      The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
        smartybritches
        You should see the moon it flies by!

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

I thought this was cool....

Flying Trains Could Be Coming Your Way

Source: Bloomberg

(Bloomberg) -- It sounds like something Q, the tech guy in James Bond movies, would create: A plane that lands on a runway, shrugs its wings off, turns into a train and rolls on to rails to drop you off at your local station.

That’s what a French entrepreneur, who’s made millions by connecting engineers with industrial groups, is pitching to Boeing Co. and others. "Link & Fly" is Akka Technologies’s new flagship aircraft design, with wings that come off to hasten turnover at airports and make boarding easier and closer to passengers’ homes.

“After cars go electric and autonomous, the next big disruption will be in airplanes,” Akka’s Chief Executive Officer Maurice Ricci said in an interview in Paris. Boeing is among prime customer targets for Akka, as it seeks to limit its dependence on the likes of Airbus SE and Renault SA in Europe.

With Akka’s futuristic concept, passengers would board a train-like tube at a neighborhood station and have their retinas scanned for security during the ride to the airport. Wings would then be attached to the pod for take-off. The company has showcased the idea in a 3D mock-up video, gathering interest from potential customers in Asia, Ricci said, without naming any company.

© Copyright Original Source

Interesting concept. There'd be some inevitable inefficiencies, weight-wise (the wings and pod would need to be reinforced to withstand connecting them together, the connections themselves would add bulk, the pod/rails interface would add significant weight....), which are anathema to airlines.
          Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
          sigpic
          I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
            Interesting concept. There'd be some inevitable inefficiencies, weight-wise (the wings and pod would need to be reinforced to withstand connecting them together, the connections themselves would add bulk, the pod/rails interface would add significant weight....), which are anathema to airlines.
            Yeah, the only thing I can think of to offset that is the fact that they would probably manufacture the rail cars out of lightweight carbon fiber composites.... and this kinda looks like a project for SpaceX or one of the other private companies!

The other problem would be logistics -- as it is now, all "rolling stock" is pretty much universally shared by rail companies as to destination, reloading, return route for profitability.... these cars would be quite specific as relates to endpoints.

It will be interesting to see if this develops.

Comment

It looks pretty cool.

But I'm still waiting for my flying car.
              ~ Russell ("MelMak")

"[Sing] and [make] melody in your heart to the Lord." -- Ephesians 5:19b

Fight spam!

Comment

Originally posted by The Melody Maker View Post
                It looks pretty cool.

But I'm still waiting for my flying car.
                Tell Melody's dad to get on that!

Securely anchored to the Rock amid every storm of trial, testing or tribulation.

Comment

I remember hearing a lot about magnet train networks across the planet.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWall View Post
                    I remember hearing a lot about magnet train networks across the planet.
                    Maglev trains would be very fast, and would undoubtedly be more efficient than taking to the air. They're also far from cheap to install.
                    Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
                    sigpic
                    I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Too Thunderbirdsey, not schnechty.
                      “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                      “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                      “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                        Too Thunderbirdsey, not schnechty.
                        Needs to be a little less Edsel, IMO.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          Maglev trains would be very fast, and would undoubtedly be more efficient than taking to the air. They're also far from cheap to install.
                          I remember some guy going on about how they won't be practical until we figure out cold fusion.

Comment

I remember some guy going on about how they won't be practical until we figure out cold fusion.
                            Mag-lev technology has had a lot of teething issues being developed and deployed. Its not as easy a technology to get working as wheels on rails. Its a much more complex upfront investment into materials and people capable of building it, which in my countries that started trying to make this didn't exist at the time they started, so they had develop all that too.

However, mag-lev, even though it has higher upfront costs might have lower total cost of ownership for certain high-speed applications. In Japan for instance it takes a work force of over ten thousand people to maintain the rails that their Bullet Train goes along. Steel against steel wear from the wheel-rail contact at 200mph introduces a lot of maintainance need. However mag-lev doesn't have the same issue.

So I know Japan is working towards replacing several of their Shinkansen lines with mag-lev trains, but it hasn't been easy. They're doing it hoping to save money down the line, but if they fail at that they'll still have a faster and more futuristic train.

Sometimes national pride is worth paying money for.

Comment

I rode the train system over here in Bavaria. Very cheap and efficient. We took a regular train to Munich, went to a subway in the same station, took the subway near the Tollwood fest we were going to, then got on a bus and went the rest of the way. All with one Bavarian Travel pass. It was like 20 Euros for the first person and then 5 Euros for each additional passenger and is good for any public transportation in Bavaria for 24 hours. The trains are pretty durn fast too. And no waiting around like in an airport. You just show up on time, get on the train and go. They stop for about 5 minutes tops so you better be ready to board.

Comment