Announcement

Collapse

Natural Science 301 Guidelines

This is an open forum area for all members for discussions on all issues of science and origins. This area will and does get volatile at times, but we ask that it be kept to a dull roar, and moderators will intervene to keep the peace if necessary. This means obvious trolling and flaming that becomes a problem will be dealt with, and you might find yourself in the doghouse.

As usual, Tweb rules apply. If you haven't read them now would be a good time.

Forum Rules: Here
See more
See less

Prominent creationist charged with blackmail, fraud, torture and child abuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prominent creationist charged with blackmail, fraud, torture and child abuse

Adnan Oktar's Turkish YEC organisation has been raided by the authorities, and Oktar and his followers arrested for a long list of serious offences. More details here.
    Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
    MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Not the first time he's been in trouble for things like blackmail, extortion and threats of violence against opposition, use of cocaine, and encouraging a theocratic revolution. He's the Islamic extremist that YEC groups like Institute for Creation Research (ICR) and AnswersinGenesis (AiG) love.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
    "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
    "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Given the Turkish authorities' penchant for trumped-up charges and choke hold on the press, I'll take much of this with a grain of salt. Never heard of him before.
      Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
      sigpic
      I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
        Not the first time he's been in trouble for things like blackmail, extortion and threats of violence against opposition, use of cocaine, and encouraging a theocratic revolution. He's the Islamic extremist that YEC groups like Institute for Creation Research (ICR) and AnswersinGenesis (AiG) love.
        Probably should back that up
        A totally different kind of example illustrating the total lack of honesty and integrity of the leading YEC organizations can be seen below.

A few years back the leadership of the Institute for Creation Research (ICR) cozied up with a group run by the Turkish Holocaust denying criminal Harun Yahya (real name Adnan Oktar and widely known for his use of blackmail, extortion and threats of violence against opposition, use of cocaine, and encouraging a theocratic revolution) to form conferences in opposition to evolution. ICR got interested in Harun Yahya's group when they started publishing anti-evolution tracts and immediately wanted to help.

When these connections were exposed by the Washington Post and others ICR did what any self-respecting group would do when caught red-handed. They lied through their teeth about the whole sordid affair. ICR went into full denial mode. When he was queried about past and present links with Yahya/Oktar, Bruce Wood, ICR's Public Information Officer, replied in part, "ICR has never cooperated with him... The primary reason for non-cooperative relationship is a distinctive in the beliefs of ICR and Mr. Oktar... We know of no such occurrence/relationship."

That is a provable falsehood.

ICR worked hand in glove with his "Bilim Arastirma Vakfi" (BAV - called the "Science Research Foundation" or SRF in English) on at least two occasions at creationist conferences in Turkey on April 4 and June 5, 1998[1].

BAV's (a.k.a. SRF) website specifically noted ICR's contribution. Duane Gish, then Vice President of ICR, and David Menton, a member of ICR's Technical Advisory Board, made on-camera testimonials to BAV claiming to have aired their differences on religion (remember what Wood claimed[2]). Gish even states he hopes for collaboration with BAV.

Their website quotes Gish as saying:
        "We certainly urge our colleges in America to cooperate with the SRF, this marvelous Foundation, in anyway possible."

Dr. John Morris, ICR's President (and son of Henry Morris, the organization's founder and the Father of the modern creationist movement), gushed enthusiastically:
        "Let me recommend these young men to you, without any reservation... The men of the Science and Research Foundation are very bright individuals who have the ability to have an impact in Turkey."

Here is a picture (sorry about the small size) of the speakers at one of the conferences (the second one) that they deny they attended along with a few characters from AnswersinGenesis (AiG) as well

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28832[/ATTACH]

From left to right: Ibrahim Tuncer (BAV), John Morris (ICR), Edward Boudreaux (AiG), Duane Gish (ICR), Altug Berker (BAV), Carl Fliermans (AiG), David Menton (ICR), Edip Keha and Michael Girouard.

Gish also spoke at the first one as well, and since the above image has Gish with his face buried in his hands, here's another picture from the conference

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28833[/ATTACH]

After the irrefutable evidence that ICR (and AiG) surfaced one YEC apologist declared that they were they went there to try to bring the Muslims to Christ. But as John Morris made clear to the "Washington Post" they were there to assist their new allies oppose evolution, saying that
        "Why I'm so interested in seeing creationism succeed in Turkey is that evolution is an evil concept that has done such damage to society."

That was their motivation not any attempt to evangelize. Although it is entirely possible they did try to turn them to Christ that would have been secondary. It was all about opposing evolution.

While it is one thing to hop into bed with a group of Muslim extremists led by a criminal Muslim holocaust denier interested in starting a theocratic revolution in Turkey, the evidence that they cannot be trusted to tell the truth is demonstrated by the fact that they tried to lie their way out of it when knowledge of their association became known outside of YEC circles

1. And BAV/SRF is right in the thick of Yahya's thuggish activities having been forced to pay fines to six professors that they harassed, threatened and slandered and are well known to use women to have sex with scholars and secretly video tape it and threaten to release the tapes if they didn't cooperate.

2. "The primary reason for non-cooperative relationship is a distinctive in the beliefs of ICR and Mr. Oktar"
        Attached Files

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
        "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
        "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
          Given the Turkish authorities' penchant for trumped-up charges and choke hold on the press, I'll take much of this with a grain of salt. Never heard of him before.
          It's a bit surprising given that Erdoğan is Oktar/Yahya's sort of leader.

Comment

Probably should back that up
            Interesting.
            Enter the Church and wash away your sins. For here there is a hospital and not a court of law. Do not be ashamed to enter the Church; be ashamed when you sin, but not when you repent. – St. John Chrysostom

Veritas vos Liberabit<>< Learn Greek <>< Look here for an Orthodox Church in America<><Ancient Faith Radio
            sigpic
            I recommend you do not try too hard and ...research as little as possible. Such weighty things give me a headache. - Shunyadragon, Baha'i apologist

Comment

so this guy is a muslim YEC?

Comment

Yes - the Turkish version of Kent Hovind.
                Jorge: Functional Complex Information is INFORMATION that is complex and functional.

MM: First of all, the Bible is a fixed document.
                MM on covid-19: We're talking about an illness with a better than 99.9% rate of survival.

seer: I believe that so called 'compassion' [for starving Palestinian kids] maybe a cover for anti Semitism, ...

Comment

Originally posted by Sparko View Post
                  so this guy is a muslim YEC?
                  Originally posted by Roy View Post
                  Yes - the Turkish version of Kent Hovind.
                  He was the guy responsible for the multi-volume Atlas of Creation and sent unsolicited thousands of copies to schools and various people in Europe and the U.S. which claimed that life forms had never undergone even the slightest change and have never developed into one another using pictures of fossils and modern day animals. It was hilariously inept.

Often the "fossils" were fake being clumsily carved and the images of the modern animals not much better. Probably the most notorious example is his pictures of a Caddisfly which is obviously a fishing lure complete with hook

Personally I like this one as well

Yup. Exactly the same. Well, except that the fossil "frog" had shorter legs and a freaking tail. Oh wait that's a salamander not a frog.

Another example of his "understanding" about that which he seeks to criticize is his attack on starfish
                  Originally posted by rogue06
                  I should add that the Turkish Holocaust denying creationist Harun Yahya (real name Adnan Oktar)[1] has his own "interesting" version of this. From his website:
                  Originally posted by What Does "A Transitional Form" Fossil Mean?
                  ...Evolutionists say that fish, for example, have come from a creature that resembles a starfish. This means that one day, due to mutation, a starfish lost one of its arms, and during the next millions of years it lost all of its arms except for some that started by themselves to develop into fins.

Source

Folks, this is just the sort of thing you just cannot make up. Here is an image from that webpage illustrating what he is babbling on about:

And here from his gloriously inept book Atlas of Creation is this including the caption:

Yahya starfish book.jpg
                  For example, evolutionists claim that starfish evolved into real fish over millions of years.
                  According to that claim, there must exist many transitional forms between the two species.
                  However, not one fossil belonging to any such transitional form has ever been found.
                  There are starfish and fish in the fossil record, but no forms between the two.

I think that might have been where Magellan004 (the poster who said magnets were illegal in Australia among other things) might have got some of his ideas:

Last edited by rogue06; 07-14-2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

The book, while almost comical, is one of the most visually appealing pieces of creationist literature I've ever seen, seriously. No expense was spared in preparing the book and images themselves. Now, as for the content... that's a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy View Post
                      Adnan Oktar's Turkish YEC organisation has been raided by the authorities, and Oktar and his followers arrested for a long list of serious offences. More details here.
                      Source: 35 rape complaints filed against Turkish televangelist Oktar

A total of 35 people have filed a complaint with authorities against the controversial televangelist Adnan Oktar, also known as Harun Yahya, saying they had been sexually abused and raped by his cult. Fifteen of these complainants have said they had been abused when they were aged from 11 to 17.

One child who was sexually abused has been alleged to have been taken to the cult by their mother. The child was 11 at the time. Authorities have initiated a legal action against the mother in question, whose name has not been disclosed.

Oktar’s “followers” willingly became members of his cult, however, if they had wanted to leave, they were allegedly “coerced” back into the group. For example, some women had their eyebrows or hair shaved and were beaten up, according to various allegations.

The investigation undertaken by police also revealed why Oktar’s female followers, dubbed “kittens,” all looked alike. Oktar allegedly chose women who had high cheekbones, slim waists, and fleshy lips, which is why he made every woman who joined his cult undergo plastic surgery.

On July 11, police detained Oktar along with 171 suspects after the Istanbul Court of Peace ordered the confiscation of 235 suspects’ properties and appointed a trustee to their companies, organizations, and associations.

The number of detentions rose to 190 late July 12, and police detained his “right-hand man,” Tarkan Yavaş, one day after he fled.

The police also detained Oktar Babuna, a medical doctor specialized in neurosurgery and a close aide of Oktar.

During the operations, police confiscated six truckloads of historical artifacts and antiques along with more than 400 memory sticks, 70 weapons, over 3,000 bullets, and considerable amounts of cash.

Following the arrests, many other victims have started coming forward to file complaints, officials have said.

Oktar’s group has been accused of crimes including establishing a criminal organization, child sexual abuse, rape of a minor, kidnapping, violation of tax law, and violation of anti-terrorism law.

Source

© Copyright Original Source

Source: Arrests in Turkish televangelist case reach 179

The number of arrests in connection with a controversial televangelist rose to 179 Thursday as police in Turkey searched for those with suspected links to his cult-like organization.
                      Police were fired upon when they raided an address as part of simultaneous operations in four provinces, security officials carrying out the investigation said on condition of anonymity due to restrictions on speaking to the media.

During the operations, they confiscated six truckloads of historical artifacts and antiques along with more than 400 memory sticks, 70 weapons, more than 3,000 bullets and considerable amounts of cash.

Police are now consulting with experts in order to determine whether the confiscated artifacts are authentic.

Following the arrests, other potential victims started coming forward to file complaints, the officials added.

Police are searching for 56 others in connection with Adnan Oktar, also known as Harun Yahya, who is on the Financial Crime Division’s most wanted list, according to security sources.

On Wednesday, police arrested Oktar along with 171 suspects after the Istanbul Court of Peace ordered the confiscation of 235 suspects' properties and also appointed a trustee to their companies, organizations and associations.

They also arrested Oktar Babuna, a medical doctor specialized in neurosurgery and a close aide of Oktar.

Oktar’s group has been accused of crimes including establishing a criminal organization, child sexual abuse, sexual intercourse with a minor, kidnapping, violating tax law and violating the anti-terrorism law.

Oktar owns a TV channel called A9, from where he broadcasts a show on religious and social issues surrounded by women he refers to as his “kittens".

Source

© Copyright Original Source

If he's on a most wanted list that suggests that he's in hiding.

Comment

It seems somewhat misleading to refer to him as a televangelist, as evangelism is more or less a Christian concept.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Pig View Post
                          It seems somewhat misleading to refer to him as a televangelist, as evangelism is more or less a Christian concept.
                          Agreed. I have not previously heard of him referred thusly.

Comment

Agreed. I have not previously heard of him referred thusly.
                            The name Harun Yahya sounds familiar, though.

Comment