Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

12 Russians Accused Of Hacking Democrats...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]28847[/ATTACH]

He wasn't joking about committing a treasonous act but rather saying that since the Russians, having hacked her server, probably have copies of her "lost" emails with the joke being asking them to release them. It was entirely a dig about Hillary's handling of the emails.

It is really mind blowing how anyone can twist it otherwise.
    Source: NYTIMES

“Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the 30,000 emails that are missing,” Mr. Trump said, referring to emails Mrs. Clinton had deleted from the private account she had used when she was secretary of state. “I think you will probably be rewarded mightily by our press.”

As it turns out, that same day, the Russians — whether they had tuned in or not — made their first effort to break into the servers used by Mrs. Clinton’s personal office, according to a sweeping 29-page indictment unsealed Friday by the special counsel’s office that charged 12 Russians with election hacking.

© Copyright Original Source

He was asking them to look for them, not give them up having already found them. The only way to do that would be to hack the systems or find someone else that already had hacked the systems.

And it wasn't 'after the fact', their hacking efforts were, in fact, coincident with the request.

Jim
    My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Originally posted by lilpixieofterror View Post
      How long did he serve in the senate afterwards? Was he ever charged for it? If Ted Kennedy can get away with asking an enemy we were engaged in a Cold War with to interfere with an election, why is it suddenly an issue now?
      Ted Kennedy should have been arrested after Chappaquiddick in the first place, so he shouldn't even have been in that position. But assuming that this claim is correct (and it is debated whether Kennedy actually did that), it would constitute treason, yes. None of this has any bearing on the morality of Trump's actions.
      "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

How long did he serve in the senate afterwards? Was he ever charged for it? If Ted Kennedy can get away with asking an enemy we were engaged in a Cold War with to interfere with an election, why is it suddenly an issue now?
        It would have been wrong in both cases. The fact some one else got away with it doesn't make it right. Do you define what is right by what someone else could get away with?

Jim
        My brethren, do not hold your faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ with an attitude of personal favoritism. James 2:1

If anyone thinks himself to be religious, and yet does not  bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this man’s religion is worthless James 1:26

This you know, my beloved brethren. But everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger; James 1:19

Comment

Using this standard, any politician caught taking a bribe could deflect criticism by pointing to political machine bosses in major cities from decades ago who operated in the open and were never prosecuted.
          "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
            Ted Kennedy should have been arrested after Chappaquiddick in the first place, so he shouldn't even have been in that position. But assuming that this claim is correct (and it is debated whether Kennedy actually did that), it would constitute treason, yes. None of this has any bearing on the morality of Trump's actions.
            Sure it does because it sets the pattern. If Ted Kennedy can say something worse and get to keep his position, the same is true for Trump.
            "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
            GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Originally posted by oxmixmudd View Post
              It would have been wrong in both cases. The fact some one else got away with it doesn't make it right. Do you define what is right by what someone else could get away with?

Jim
              In the case of consistency and presidence, that is kind of how it works. These are the new rules, don’t get mad when the other side plays by them.
              "The man from the yacht thought he was the first to find England; I thought I was the first to find Europe. I did try to found a heresy of my own; and when I had put the last touches to it, I discovered that it was orthodoxy."
              GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

Sure it does because it sets the pattern. If Ted Kennedy can say something worse and get to keep his position, the same is true for Trump.
                So what about my other example? Should Rod Blagojevich have kept his job because there have been other unprosecuted examples of bribery in American history? Should all drug users go free because Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg openly use drugs and don't get prosecuted?

As Christians, we absolutely must reject this sort of might makes right moral reasoning.

(And "new rules" when all you have is a disputed instance from 1984?)

Comment

So what about my other example? Should Rod Blagojevich have kept his job because there have been other unprosecuted examples of bribery in American history? Should all drug users go free because Willie Nelson and Snoop Dogg openly use drugs and don't get prosecuted?

As Christians, we absolutely must reject this sort of might makes right moral reasoning.

(And "new rules" when all you have is a disputed instance from 1984?)
                  I do love the grandstanding, but I really don’t see them as treason at all. At best, just rhetoric typical during elections.
                  GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

I do love the grandstanding
                    No answer? You specifically said Trump was in the clear because of what Kennedy allegedly did. I'd like to see you defend that claim.

Comment

Originally posted by rogue06 View Post

He wasn't joking about committing a treasonous act but rather saying that since the Russians, having hacked her server, probably have copies of her "lost" emails with the joke being asking them to release them. It was entirely a dig about Hillary's handling of the emails.

It is really mind blowing how anyone can twist it otherwise.
                      Maybe, but it’s a curious coincidence that: “Russian spies began trying to hack Hillary Clinton’s personal email server on the very day Donald Trump urged the Russian government to find emails Clinton had erased, prosecutors said on Friday. An indictment filed by Robert Mueller, the special counsel, said Russian hackers attempted “for the first time” to break into email accounts used by Clinton’s personal office “after hours” on 27 July 2016.”

"The timing coincidence was only one of the striking details contained in Friday’s indictment of 12 alleged Russian intelligence officials, who are accused of wreaking havoc in the 2016 US election with a hack-and-leak conspiracy."

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ump-indictment
                      “He felt that his whole life was a kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it.” - Douglas Adams.

Comment

The issue here is that to support trump in his gross immorality is an obvious hypocricy. So if we claim say to love the poor and then support political policies that oppress the poor then we bring shame to the Gospel. It does not matter what the political party is.
                        Very well put!
                        "Yes. President Trump is a huge embarrassment. And it’s an embarrassment to evangelical Christianity that there appear to be so many who will celebrate precisely the aspects that I see Biblically as most lamentable and embarrassing." Southern Baptist leader Albert Mohler Jr.

Comment

No answer? You specifically said Trump was in the clear because of what Kennedy allegedly did. I'd like to see you defend that claim.
                          I used it as an example. What law did Kennedy or Trump break with their comments? This is classic grandstanding because I can really find nothing that says anything was illegal? Could it be argued that the comments were in bad taste? Perhaps, but bad taste isn’t illegal.
                          Last edited by lilpixieofterror; 07-15-2018, 08:38 AM.
                          GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment

In the case of consistency and presidence, that is kind of how it works. These are the new rules, don’t get mad when the other side plays by them.
                            I'm not 'getting mad'. I'm pointing out it was wrong and treasonous. And I'm consistent in may application of that accusation across any and all that would try to engage a foreign power to aid them in an election.

And to be clear - I don't excuse Hillary's abuse of her security clearance. In fact, we'd all be better off if BOTH Trump and Hillary paid for their abuses and we got someone else in there that had some integrity ... assuming such a politician exists (that of course is another problem entirely give the GOP's unveiling of their true colors by not standing up to Trumps antics - and I doubt it is any better on the other side).

Jim

Comment

I just noticed your avatar. I'll amen that ... :)

Jim

Comment

I'm not 'getting mad'. I'm pointing out it was wrong and treasonous. And I'm consistent in may application of that accusation across any and all that would try to engage a foreign power to aid them in an election.
                                And the law that bit of political rhetoric broke was...

And to be clear - I don't excuse Hillary's abuse of her security clearance. In fact, we'd all be better off if BOTH Trump and Hillary paid for their abuses and we got someone else in there that had some integrity ... assuming such a politician exists (that of course is another problem entirely give the GOP's unveiling of their true colors by not standing up to Trumps antics - and I doubt it is any better on the other side).
                                Show me the crimes that Trump has committed with evidence. I’ll wait...
                                GK Chesterton; Orthodoxy

Comment