Announcement

Collapse

Civics 101 Guidelines

Want to argue about politics? Healthcare reform? Taxes? Governments? You've come to the right place!

Try to keep it civil though. The rules still apply here.
See more
See less

Abortion: The Left has betrayed the sanctity of life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abortion: The Left has betrayed the sanctity of life

In another thread, a case is alleged that pro-life is relatively new to conservatives.

This article posits that pro-abortion is relatively new to liberals.

Until the last decade, people on the Left and Right generally agreed on one rule: We all protected the young. This was not merely agreement on an ethical question: It was also an expression of instinct, so deep and ancient that it scarcely required explanation.

Protection of the young included protection of the unborn, for abortion was forbidden by state laws throughout the United States. Those laws reflected an ethical consensus, not based solely on religious tradition but also on scientific evidence that human life begins at conception. The prohibition of abortion in the ancient Hippocratic Oath is well known. Less familiar to many is the Oath of Geneva, formulated by the World Medical Association in 1948, which included these words: "I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from the time of conception." A Declaration of the Rights of the Child, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1959, declared that "the child, by reason of his physical and mental immaturity, needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth."

The classic version of the Hippocratic Oath contains the words... "I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art."

And here... From the US Department of Health and Human Services / National Library of Medicine: "I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion."
    The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

It's been on the right longer than gay marriage has on the left.
    "I am not angered that the Moral Majority boys campaign against abortion. I am angry when the same men who say, "Save OUR children" bellow "Build more and bigger bombers." That's right! Blast the children in other nations into eternity, or limbless misery as they lay crippled from "OUR" bombers! This does not jell." - Leonard Ravenhill

Comment

Originally posted by KingsGambit View Post
      It's been on the right longer than gay marriage has on the left.
      And that has been very recently (at least here in the U.S.) which makes it odd how fast it became a litmus test for the left.

I'm always still in trouble again

"You're by far the worst poster on TWeb" and "TWeb's biggest liar" --starlight (the guy who says Stalin was a right-winger)
      "Overall I would rate the withdrawal from Afghanistan as by far the best thing Biden's done" --Starlight
      "Of course, human life begins at fertilization that’s not the argument." --Tassman

Comment

Yet when it suits them, the left will cry "but what about the children!!?"

Comment

Remember that you are dust and to dust you shall return.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
            In another thread, a case is alleged that pro-life is relatively new to conservatives.

This article posits that pro-abortion is relatively new to liberals.

Until the last decade, people on the Left and Right generally agreed on one rule: We all protected the young. This was not merely agreement on an ethical question: It was also an expression of instinct, so deep and ancient that it scarcely required explanation.

Protection of the young included protection of the unborn, for abortion was forbidden by state laws throughout the United States. Those laws reflected an ethical consensus, not based solely on religious tradition but also on scientific evidence that human life begins at conception. The prohibition of abortion in the ancient Hippocratic Oath is well known. Less familiar to many is the Oath of Geneva, formulated by the World Medical Association in 1948, which included these words: "I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from the time of conception." A Declaration of the Rights of the Child, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1959, declared that "the child, by reason of his physical and mental immaturity, needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth."

The classic version of the Hippocratic Oath contains the words... "I will neither give a deadly drug to anybody who asked for it, nor will I make a suggestion to this effect. Similarly I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy. In purity and holiness I will guard my life and my art."

And here... From the US Department of Health and Human Services / National Library of Medicine: "I will not give a lethal drug to anyone if I am asked, nor will I advise such a plan; and similarly I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion."
            because of the risk of injury to the woman.
            “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
            “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
            “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
              because of the risk of injury to the woman.
              So, the left no longer cares about risk of injury to the woman? You're making no sense here, FF.
              The first to state his case seems right until another comes and cross-examines him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cow Poke View Post
                So, the left no longer cares about risk of injury to the woman? You're making no sense here, FF.
                Hippocrates is concerned about the woman and her child as a man’s property. That is why the physician needs to be careful about administering anything that might be harmful. There is nothing in this oath about protecting the fetus for its own sake but only because the father’s rights to an heir would be affected.
                “I think God, in creating man, somewhat overestimated his ability.” ― Oscar Wilde
                “And if there were a God, I think it very unlikely that He would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence” ― Bertrand Russell
                “not all there” - you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by firstfloor View Post
                  Hippocrates is concerned about the woman and her child as a man’s property.
                  You and he were drinking buddies?

That is why the physician needs to be careful about administering anything that might be harmful.
                  So, you're saying that he would not give a pessary because it might harm the woman? The oldest surviving copy actually explains it's about causing the abortion.

Neither will I administer a poison to anybody when asked to do so, nor will I suggest such a course. Similarly I will not give to a woman a pessary to cause abortion.

There is nothing in this oath about protecting the fetus for its own sake but only because the father’s rights to an heir would be affected.
                  A) Where is that in the text?
                  2) That was only part of the argument, FF. There's also this part....

Less familiar to many is the Oath of Geneva, formulated by the World Medical Association in 1948, which included these words: "I will maintain the utmost respect for human life from the time of conception." A Declaration of the Rights of the Child, adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1959, declared that "the child, by reason of his physical and mental immaturity, needs special safeguards and care, including appropriate legal protection, before as well as after birth."

Comment